• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

4 of 5 California teams currently hold a playoff spot

mmc

34 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

As for the 2021 Giants (not the previous versions) if you look at what they’ve done, they have really shopped in the same aisle as the Angels. (Wood and Desclafani were right there with Quintana and Cobb last winter.)

That's the difference.

Minasian also missed badly rebuilding an already terrible bullpen. In his first year, Minasian made both the starting pitching and the bullpen worse.  If Sandoval, Suarez and Barria didn't show growth, and if Ohtani wasn't having the year he is, Minasian's mistakes would have been more catastrophic.

34 minutes ago, eligrba said:

That's the difference.

Minasian also missed badly rebuilding an already terrible bullpen. In his first year, Minasian made both the starting pitching and the bullpen worse.  If Sandoval, Suarez and Barria didn't show growth, and if Ohtani wasn't having the year he is, Minasian's mistakes would have been more catastrophic.

Minasian in his first year acquired both a better MLB starter and reliever than Eppler did in all 5 combined

2 hours ago, failos said:

No, he doesn’t. Trout and Ohtani aren’t getting any younger. We can’t wait around until some GM figures things out. This isn’t a slight against Minassian, I just don’t like the narrative of giving GMs time to figure things out.

Yea he does.  It’s silly to judge him so far. 

14 hours ago, mmc said:

With the exception, of course, being the Angels, who are currently 9.5 games out.  Obviously this will be the first time 4/5 California teams make the playoffs, just embarrassing that the team who has 2 better players than any of the others is the one who not only isn't making it, but isn't even competing.  Thanks for listening to my low effort, half-assed (hey that sounds like the Angels!) rant.

Don't feel bad. I can't remember a year we had more significant injuries.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Minasian in his first year acquired both a better MLB starter and reliever than Eppler did in all 5 combined

Yusmeiro Petit

Parker Bridwell

Yeah......that was the problem with Eppler.  Unfortunately, Minasian is not any better.

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Yusmeiro Petit

Parker Bridwell

Yeah......that was the problem with Eppler.  Unfortunately, Minasian is not any better.

Raisel and Cobb are better than both of those guys

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

Please clarify.

You can also connect all of the youngsters keeping the team in games to Eppler.

My point is that the guy had no clue how to scout MLB talent, which is a pretty damn big part of being a GM

After almost one full season I have to side with Minasian over Eppler. Minasian plugged two holes via trade in Jose Iglesias and Raisel Iglesias at a success Eppler never did. Jose Iglesias seems to be fading as the year is going on but he's been what I feel an upgrade over Simmons. Eppler in his first two years got Yunel Escobar to play 3rd which was a disaster and Danny Espinosa to be our starting 2nd basemen-which still makes me want to throw up to this day. Also rest his soul,  but his signing of Luis Valbuena kept Fletcher out of the lineup pretty much most of 2018 until they finally released him. I will give it that some of Eppler's prospects are starting to blossom like Austin Warren being a big one.. But Eppler was clueless at filling holes with MLB talent. Almost the whole bullpen last year was all DFA waiver wire pickups. And in left field his solutions were Cameron Maybin, Ben Revere, Craig Gentry and Daniel Nava... also remember his prized waiver pickup in Jefrey Marte we farted around with for years and couldn't play any positions defensively? I can keep going with all the positions but nah.. Not an Eppler fan and wasn't from day one. I have more confidence in Perry to turn things around than I did with Eppler.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Raisel and Cobb are better than both of those guys

Not really.  Petit had a great year in his role and should have been offered an extension, but Eppler knew better than the A's.  Bridwell was a fluke.

If the benchmark for evaluating Minasian is Cobb and Raisel, than the next four years will not be any better.

Minasian's player selections for 2021 were:

Selman, Quintana, Cobb, Slegers, Watson, Cishek, Quijada, Raisel, Hoyt, Guerra, Jose Inglesias, Suzuki, Lagares, Eaton, Gosslelin, Mayfield, Wallach, Fowler, Jay, Schleber, Strickland

These are the ones I remember.

12 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Not really.  Petit had a great year in his role and should have been offered an extension, but Eppler knew better than the A's.  Bridwell was a fluke.

If the benchmark for evaluating Minasian is Cobb and Raisel, than the next four years will not be any better.

Minasian's player selections for 2021 were:

Selman, Quintana, Cobb, Slegers, Watson, Cishek, Quijada, Raisel, Hoyt, Guerra, Jose Inglesias, Suzuki, Lagares, Eaton, Gosslelin, Mayfield, Wallach, Fowler, Jay, Schleber, Strickland

These are the ones I remember.

You're so far off of my point I don't feel like there's any sense in even trying to explain it again

1 minute ago, mmc said:

You're so far off of my point I don't feel like there's any sense in even trying to explain it again

My list of Minasian's players represents his ability to scout MLB talent, which was the criticism you levied against Eppler (which I agree).

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

My list of Minasian's players represents his ability to scout MLB talent, which was the criticism you levied against Eppler (which I agree).

I never said all of his acquisitions were great though so I just don't get what you're really trying to argue.  Just that Iglesias and Cobb have been better than any of Eppler's reliever or starter acquistions. 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

True, let’s hope this off-season is a lot better than the previous one.

So far I’m encouraged as he understands that pitching is a problem for this organization and he is obviously trying to address it. All we can do now is hope that they develop well in the farm system 

3 hours ago, failos said:

I can totally judge him on what he’s done so far—and outside of the draft, I’m not impressed. I don’t need 5 years to make that judgement.

Sure, you just have to ignore budget and what he’s done well inside of that budget. 

6 hours ago, eligrba said:

That's the difference.

My point was that Minasian wasn’t wrong by simply by shopping “in the bargain bin.” He was wrong because of the guys he picked. Because the Giants shopped in the same bin. 

3 hours ago, mmc said:

I never said all of his acquisitions were great though so I just don't get what you're really trying to argue.  Just that Iglesias and Cobb have been better than any of Eppler's reliever or starter acquistions. 

The difference between Cobb and Iglesias and Bundy and Petit is narrow, even without considering how much more Minasian spent on his pair. 

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My point was that Minasian wasn’t wrong by simply by shopping “in the bargain bin.” He was wrong because of the guys he picked. Because the Giants shopped in the same bin. 

Sure seems like luck plays a significant role when it comes to bargain bin success