• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021 Olympics USA Men’s Baseball Team Thread

mmc

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Final roster for the qualifiers, which start tomorrow

image.png

Also forgot to mention the changes here are that Matt Wieters, Clayton Andrews, and Jonathan Bowlan are the players who were dropped from the camp roster, only addition being Anthony Carter

Starters for tomorrow's first game confirmed to be Liberatore for the US and Carlos Teller (former AAA player who was a Pirates prospect, never made the majors and is now playing in Mexico) for Nicaragua

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Starters for tomorrow's first game confirmed to be Liberatore for the US and Carlos Teller (former AAA player who was a Pirates prospect, never made the majors and is now playing in Mexico) for Nicaragua

Teller never said he could pitch let alone that he was from Nicaragua.

andrew dice clay omg GIF by Showtime

24 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I'm sorry, but I have very little desire to watch this....

The World Baseball Classic is more interesting.

I'm a sucker for the Olympics, and baseball won't be back after this tournament, and who knows when it will again, so I'm just trying to enjoy for what it is, even though the rosters of the teams at least in the qualifier aren't really anything that's getting me too excited

Baseball isn't an Olympic sport and has no business being there in my view, similar to football (soccer), it is not a minority sport and generates enormous revenues globally. The winner of the gold medal won't have a valid claim for being the best country at baseball because so very many of the best players won't be there, so it will be the gold medal for having the best scrubs that aren't good enough to be top professionals at the time the tournament is played. Great, can't wait. 

If you are into that, great, good for you, I hope you enjoy it more than watching the Angels this year, but you'll probably find better players and better baseball in triple A. Just my view.

30 minutes ago, failos said:

What is a “minority sport” ?

Sports played and enjoyed by a minority of fans / people. Things like rowing, gymnastics, track and field, indoor track cycling, etc maybe lacrosse in the US (?). Tiny sports that don't have enough pull or infrastructure to stand alone and draw a large crowd (and therefore funding) because of the other larger sports around them - I always thought the Olympics was their day in the sun so to speak, and also offered those sports the pinnacle of that particular sporting endeavour. 

I guess I believe that if the Olympics doesn't offer the pinnacle of any particular sport then that sport shouldn't be in it.

EDIT: Maybe 'minor sports' would have been a better phrase.

1 minute ago, WicketMaiden said:

Sports played and enjoyed by a minority of fans / people. Things like rowing, gymnastics, track and field, indoor track cycling, etc maybe lacrosse in the US (?). Tiny sports that don't have enough pull or infrastructure to stand alone and draw a large crowd (and therefore funding) because of the other larger sports around them - I always thought the Olympics was their day in the sun so to speak, and also offered those sports the pinnacle of that particular sporting endeavour. 

I guess I believe that if the Olympics doesn't offer the pinnacle of any particular sport then that sport shouldn't be in it.

Gotcha. I usually refer to those sports as “individual sports,” but I don’t necessarily disagree with you

Anyways, I never watch the Olympics, but the basketball tournaments were fun back in the day.

Ultimately, I’ll just watch baseball this year because it’s the only sport I really care about—oh and Sosh.

I'm actually looking forward to this, because it's baseball and it's Olympic style. 

I just wish every country was sending some of their best prospects and then fill in the gaps with the MLB free agents who weren't able to land a job with a major league team. 

That's kind of a bummer IMO. 

LOL

Turned on the Cuba/Venezuela game. They are using one camera view that is pointed on one single player at a time for the entire play. Venezuela had runners on 1st and 2nd and the batter hit a home run. At least that's what the announcer said. We got to see the runner on 2nd round 3rd and score.

Never saw the home run. 

The next batter we got to see the pitcher throw his pitches. Never once saw the batter.

What a shit show.

Did not watch the game due to Leafs/Habs game 7, but the US won 7-1.  Luke Williams went 3-3 with 2 walks, the US somehow had 14 hits with only 1 XBH, a home run for Mark Kolozsvary.  Liberatore pitched 5 innings with 5 hits, 1 ER, 1 walk and 4 strikeouts.  They play the Dominican Republic tomorrow.