• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Joe Maddon values Patrick Sandoval as ‘middle-inning closer’

ANAHEIM — Two games into Patrick Sandoval’s season, he’s shown encouraging signs of being ready to take the next step in his big-league development.

Eventually, that will likely lead Sandoval into the Angels’ rotation.

In the meantime, though, Manager Joe Maddon said there’s no need to rush him to high-leverage spots in the bullpen, because he said there’s plenty of value to be had as a long reliever.

“I love middle-inning closers,” Maddon said. “That’s been a big part of the success that I’ve been around in the past. In Tampa Bay, it was really prevalent, and to a certain extent in Chicago. I’ve loved that concept. If you’ve got a guy that’s in the middle, that holds down a small deficit or a small lead, those guys can be very valuable too.”

Sandoval, 24, reached the big leagues as a starter in 2019, and he’s been inconsistent in spotty opportunities in that role. He brought a 5.33 ERA into this season, appearing in 15 of 19 games as a starter.

In two relief outings this week, Sandoval has allowed one run in 5 1/3 innings with seven strikeouts. He pitched 3 1/3 innings against the Dodgers on Friday night.

“I just think overall command has gotten better with the fastball,” Maddon said. “He actually placed it pretty good yesterday. His strike throwing was a lot better. His changeup is always good, it seems. I love his slider too. Velocity, I thought, was up, but more than anything, I think the delivery is at the point where he’s able to throw strikes more consistently. And as he does that, he can become very effective because the mix is outstanding.”

As for putting Sandoval into the rotation soon, Maddon doesn’t seem to feel any of the current six starters need to be replaced. Maddon has expressed confidence in José Quintana, who has the worst numbers of the Angels’ starters.

“Right now, with everybody being well, I’m good with waiting (for Sandoval to start),” Maddon said. “He’s definitely going to be a starter at some point. But he’s doing some really good work right now. And we’re just gonna leave it there for the moment.”

COBB TO IL

The Angels placed Alex Cobb on the injured list with a blister on his right middle finger. Cobb had been in line to start on Monday in Houston.

The Angels also scratched left-hander José Suarez from his start on Saturday at Triple-A Salt Lake, so he could be an option to take Cobb’s turn in the rotation.

The Angels did not add anyone to the roster for Saturday’s game, so they played with just 25 active players.

BUTERA’S TRIP

Drew Butera had an eventful 24 hours from the time he found out he was being traded to the Angels on Thursday night to the time he started and finished behind the plate in Anaheim on Friday.

“It was one heckuva day, I’ll tell you that,” Butera said Saturday.

The journeyman catcher was not on the Texas Rangers’ active roster, but he was traveling with the team on the taxi squad. They had played in Minnesota on Thursday afternoon. He returned to Texas with the team after the game, and found out he was headed to Anaheim.

Butera barely made his flight Friday morning out of Dallas. He said the line at the airport was so long that his equipment bag and personal bag got left in Texas. He grabbed his glove and carried it on to the plane, so that’s all he had when he arrived.

The Angels decked him out in borrowed gear. He went from meeting to meeting learning the signs and the pitchers, and then he started the game. He even had a hit in his first at-bat against live pitching in a month.

“I felt really good last night, for not playing in a month,” he said. “It felt good to be back there.”

ALSO

Tony Watson (calf strain) could be activated as soon as Sunday, the first day he’s eligible, Maddon said. If he’s not ready by Sunday, it could be “shortly thereafter,” Maddon said. “He’s really really close.” …

Anthony Rendon (left knee contusion) is also making progress and could be activated as soon as he’s eligible next weekend in Boston, Maddon said. “I don’t think that’s out of the question, but we’ll see as the week progresses,” Maddon said. …

The tests on Chris Rodriguez’s shoulder showed “everything was pretty clean,” Maddon said, encouraging him that Rodriguez could be able to return around the time that his 10 days are up on May 16…

Outfielder Scott Schebler and right-hander Ben Rowen both cleared waivers and were assigned to Triple-A. They had been designated for assignment earlier in the week.

View the full article

Unfortunately long middle relievers are most often needed when your starter has already shot the bed and you need to get 3-4 innings out of someone.   How about start with the better pitchers, even if you only get 3-4 to start.  Save Quintana for junk time long relief.  Why not piggyback Rodriguez and Sandoval.  They each get 50-60 pitches.  Be better than Quintana or Cobb.