• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is this the year we need to buy aggressively at the deadline?

mmc

Should the Angels be aggressive buyers at the deadline?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Angels be aggressive buyers at the deadline?

• Yes, they should be willing to move multiple top prospects to win now
    • They should buy, but hold the top prospects and focus on lesser players who are cheaper to acquire
    • The Angels should stand pat with the current group and continue building internally

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, you are just saying dumb stuff now.  Trout in his last 162 games has something like 135 RBI.  So he is an RBI guy, despite your ignorance.

I will argue Trout is better in the 2 spot, he can get on base and score more often with his speed than he would batting 3.  Don't make my opinion your straw man, of course he can drive runs in, but I feel his ability to get on base and score runs outweighs his ability to drive runs in.  It's a game of maximizing your players abilities and Trout is a true 2 hitter to me for that reason.  

2 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

I will argue Trout is better in the 2 spot, he can get on base and score more often with his speed than he would batting 3.  Don't make my opinion your straw man, of course he can drive runs in, but I feel his ability to score runs outweighs his ability to drive runs in.  It's a game of maximizing your players abilities and Trout is a true 2 hitter to me for that reason.  

Straw man?  You literally said Trout isn’t really an RBI guy.  Don’t say dumb stuff and I won’t use your words to show you say dumb stuff.  And yes, I agree Trout should bat 2nd, but Fletcher is going to bat lead off.  That isn’t going to change any time soon.  

8 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

I will argue Trout is better in the 2 spot, he can get on base and score more often with his speed than he would batting 3.  Don't make my opinion your straw man, of course he can drive runs in, but I feel his ability to get on base and score runs outweighs his ability to drive runs in.  It's a game of maximizing your players abilities and Trout is a true 2 hitter to me for that reason.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Straw man?  You literally said Trout isn’t really an RBI guy.  Don’t say dumb stuff and I won’t use your words to show you say dumb stuff.  And yes, I agree Trout should bat 2nd, but Fletcher is going to bat lead off.  That isn’t going to change any time soon.  

3 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

So if I am dumb, you are too for agreeing with me.  Welcome aboard the dumb train.

I think everyone's emotions are running a bit high right now and I think it is best if we all take a few minutes to reflect on our feelings.

50 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I can say with 100% confidence that Rendon will never be the leadoff hitter.

So even if Fletcher continues his trend,  who do you want there instead?  How is Rendon such a bad choice that you are 100% confident he won't bat lead off ever?

I wish we had more options, but Rendon lead off isn't a bad idea to begin with.

Just now, sammyscioscia said:

Even if Fletcher continues his trend?  Who do you want there instead?  How is Rendon such a bad choice that you are 100% confident he won't be there.

Rendon is a guy you want up with men on base. Why not leadoff with Ohtani, since he's a lot faster?

It doesn't make any sense and there is 0 chance Maddon even considers it.

30 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Why not leadoff with Ohtani, since he's a lot faster?

Rendon has proven to get on base at a higher clip than Ohtani

Ohtani to me is a true cleanup hitter, at least 3 spot with his speed.

My groundbreaking lineup w/o Pujols:

1.Rendon R

2.Trout R

3.Ohtani L

4.Walsh L

5.Upton R

6.Fletcher R

7. Iggy/Rengifo R/L

8.Stassi/Suzuki R 

9.RF R/L

Until we have a proven lead-off OBP guy with speed, this is what crazy me would roll with, that % of Ohtani batting with runner on is like 80%.

Fletcher still needs to prove he's an on base guy who works counts, 2 walks in 74 PA is a bad sign so far.  That's only 16-17 walks in a season at this rate.

For me this would be my ideal scenario.

I would first buildup a young core to pair with the Veterans and Trout.

Luckily for us, we have a few guys that are producing, Walsh, Othani, Canning and Flec

I still haven't given up on Adell and still thing that he can  turn into a solid player, pair him with Marsh and we have a complete outfield. That's  risk in this, but i would take it. So with Marsh, Canning Flec, Adell and Walsh that's four position filled on the roster for cheap! at least until 2026 (Walsh is a free agents). Gives us a lot of room and money to work with throughout the 4+ years. 

I Actually think the Rotation will be fine!  A few bad starts by Heaney and Quintana, but overall it's been solid. Same could be said to the Bullpen. 

So, heading into the 2022 season and free agents. the hope would be for Marsh, Adell, Othani and even Detmers to stay healthy and produce when they are given the chance. 

Our Lineup would be set at; CF,RF,LF,1sr,2nd,3rd,C,DH. 

Pitching Rotation; Othani, Canning, Detmers, Free agent 1, Barria

with how Rodriguez has been used so far this year, I fully anticipate him to have a chance to  start if he stays healthy! could be 2022 or 2023. But i do think he'll have a shot.

and for our 2021 draft, unless its a SS that can get to the Majors quick, I would like us to draft a pitcher (Madden or Hoglund) gives us another young pitcher in the minor that could move up the system. 

Head into the 2022 free agency and go hard after Thor or Scherzer , fill in the rest with what we have and been ready for 2022 season! 

So this allow us to hold on to our Prospects and still go all in. I would say if we can get one of Thor or Scherez to pair with Othani. that is a filithy 1/2. Now if Marsh and Adell are able to be atleast 2-3 war guys, and Walsh maintains his production, one could argue that we are a much better team than this year. Than i would say pull the plug if we are one pitcher away! 

Who said Fletcher can't be a lead of hitter? he's had an OBP of .350 in 2019 and a War over 3. 2020, he had an OBP of .371 and War of 1.4 in 49 games, in a full season he'd have over a 4 war season. He doesn't strike out  and takes his walks, and is a contact type of hitter. I would say he's a perfect leadoff hitter! 

I think this team will be much better than it is now in a few weeks, maybe a month, than it is right now, unless we have a couple significant injuries.

They’re playing good baseball despite the starters still stretching out and working through some weird scheduling, despite half the offense underperforming, and despite the bullpen still settling - most of these guys are new to Madison and the org, they’re figuring out how to best utilize still. 

If that rings true, they will only need the be modest buyers at the deadline; a bench bat or two, a reliever, at most maybe Scherzer if there’s a deal that makes sense. It’s also highly dependent on who is actually selling or who is available. 

I think we will have a much busier winter regardless of what happens.

13 hours ago, sammyscioscia said:

Fletcher still needs to prove he's an on base guy who works counts, 2 walks in 74 PA is a bad sign so far.  That's only 16-17 walks in a season at this rate.

You know, it’s ok to not restart everyone’s career just because the calendar has a different number at the top. 

23 hours ago, totdprods said:

I think this team will be much better than it is now in a few weeks, maybe a month, than it is right now, unless we have a couple significant injuries.

They’re playing good baseball despite the starters still stretching out and working through some weird scheduling, despite half the offense underperforming, and despite the bullpen still settling - most of these guys are new to Madison and the org, they’re figuring out how to best utilize still. 

If that rings true, they will only need the be modest buyers at the deadline; a bench bat or two, a reliever, at most maybe Scherzer if there’s a deal that makes sense. It’s also highly dependent on who is actually selling or who is available. 

I think we will have a much busier winter regardless of what happens.

Defensively, not so much, and at times it is comical.   Can only hope Rendon and Stassi improve it a lot.

Edited by Angel Oracle