• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros sign Odorizzi 2/$23.5 million

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/astros-to-sign-jake-odorizzi.html

Figured this deserved it's own thread. We don't have to specualte anymore.

Odorizzi is guaranteed $23.5MM, reports Mark Feinsand of MLB.com (Twitter links). That takes the form of a $6MM signing bonus, a $6MM salary in 2021, a $5MM salary in 2022, and a $6.5MM player option for 2023. The option comes with a $3.25MM buyout. Performance escalators can max the option out at $12.5MM while also bringing the potential buyout figure up to $6.25MM. Combining to make 30 appearances from 2021-22 will bring Odorizzi to just shy of $24MM over those two seasons in salary, per Feinsand, who adds that incentives could push the deal up to $30MM.

While it sucks that he went to the Astros, I am a fan of incentive contracts. Wish more teams would do them.

• beatlesrule changed the title to Astros sign Odorizzi 2/$23.5 million
1 minute ago, JustATroutFan said:

Odorizzi is going to pitch like 2018-2019 Cole with the Astros. I feel bad for the rest of the league. 

how exactly is he going to do that?

He's not gonna suddenly sit in the high 90's after sitting in the low 90's for years. Cole had elite stuff and was under bad pitching tutelage in Pittsburgh. Odorizzi doesn't have elite stuff and is coming from very good pitching tutelage in Minnesota.

59 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Didn't this happen like three days ago?

It became official today. There was no thread about it, just the will the Angels sign Odorizzi thread. There are probably people that only come here for baseball news and since he has been a topic here for months, now people officially know that he did not sign with the Angels.

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

So shouldn’t this thread be titled, Astros will pay $23.5 million for Odorizzi if he underperforms?  

i would think youd like this one over bashing it, the risk is minimal if he sucks and if hes performs i dont think anyone minds paying so.

8 hours ago, floplag said:

And thats excessive in his case?
If you were told you you could have him for 12M at the beginning of the hot stove would you not have jumped at that?

Not excessive but also a risk.  Advanced stats have him no better than Heaney and worse than Quintana. He’s 14 months older than Quintana. I wouldn’t have cared if we signed him, I wanted him, but I’m not upset about not signing him.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Not excessive but also a risk.  Advanced stats have him no better than Heaney and worse than Quintana. He’s 14 months older than Quintana. I wouldn’t have cared if we signed him, I wanted him, but I’m not upset about not signing him.  

younger