• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels manager Joe Maddon likes the new look of Luis Rengifo

TEMPE, Ariz. — Of the eight walks the Angels drew in their Cactus League opening victory on Sunday, one in particular that made an impression on Maddon was Luis Rengifo’s.

“To not offer at pitches out of the zone just to be eager to swing, that spoke volumes,” Maddon said on Monday. “I really thought last year, in that same situation, from what I saw, he’d definitely have a chance at getting himself out on a pitcher’s pitch right there, as opposed to what he did.”

Rengifo has tweaked his stance and Maddon believes it may help him see the ball better and be more disciplined.

In his other trip to the plate on Sunday, Rengifo poked a double into left-center while hitting left-handed. The opposite field approach was another good sign, to Maddon.

“His batting practice has been really centered,” Maddon said. “I like when he plays at the middle of the field first, when he doesn’t think power first. If he could stay there mentally, the sky’s the limit for his offense.”

Maddon also said that Rengifo has really “slendered up, firmed up. He’s firmed up. He’s moving better.”

Maddon also said that Rengifo has improved his focus on the field.

“He’s going to play for a long time and a lot of it just comes down to focus, paying attention, cutting down on the mental mistakes and letting his natural, physical ability take over,” Maddon said.

Rengifo, 24, has a .221 average and a .642 OPS in 447 major league at-bats. In the minors, Rengifo had a .357 on-base percentage, including .399 in his final full season.

Rengifo and Frankin Barreto are the primary candidates for the utility infield spot. Barreto is out of options, which could give him a slight edge if both perform equally. Phil Gosselin and Jack Mayfield also are in the race.

The Angels plan to have both Rengifo and Barreto work at second, third, shortstop and the corner outfield spots this spring.

ALSO

Anthony Rendon did not play on Monday because he’s dealing with “soreness,” Maddon said. …

Junior Guerra, whose participation in camp had been delayed by visa issues, has arrived in Arizona and will begin working out with the Angels as soon as he clears the intake protocols. Jose Quijada, who also had visa issues, is the only player not yet in camp. …

The Angels sent right-hander Gerardo Reyes for an MRI on Monday and have not yet released the results. Reyes left his spring debut on Sunday because of elbow discomfort. …

The Angels have scheduled Andrew Heaney to make his spring debut on Tuesday, followed by Dylan Bundy on Wednesday. Shohei Ohtani and Griffin Canning will pitch on Thursday and Friday, with the order to be determined. …

Jaime Barria will get his first spring action in simulated game, Maddon said. The Angels want to have Barria work out as a starter, but if he doesn’t crack the rotation he is likely to make the team as a reliever because he’s out of options.

View the full article

He was incredible in the minors. Last year Mota made fun of him (I think that’s what he was saying) for showing up to camp jacked and then not being able to hit or field or run. He should be stealing 40 a year and playing great defense. He really fell off and could be a big asset if he regains some of those skills. 

I mean the Dodgers certainly liked him...

6 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

“His batting practice has been really centered,” Maddon said. “I like when he plays at the middle of the field first, when he doesn’t think power first. If he could stay there mentally, the sky’s the limit for his offense.”

Maddon also said that Rengifo has really “slendered up, firmed up. He’s firmed up. He’s moving better.”

Maddon also said that Rengifo has improved his focus on the field.

“He’s going to play for a long time and a lot of it just comes down to focus, paying attention, cutting down on the mental mistakes and letting his natural, physical ability take over,” Maddon said.

I thought all these comments from Maddon were pretty telling.

It seems like Rengifo hasn't had his head fully in the game at times. If he could show full dedication, perhaps he can fulfill his potential.

The comments from Maddon about Rengifo having "improved his focus on the field" reminds me of that weird sequence late last season where Rengifo was scratched due to a thumb injury and couldn't come in for Franklin Barreto when Barreto got injured, so Bemboom was going to have to play 2B. Then, Rengifo was out there at second base the next half inning.

I can't find the entire interview, but I seem to recall that Maddon was upset with Rengifo about not communicating or something.

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Rengifo, re-sign Iglesias for a little raise, or they'll go after Baez since it seems like the Angels are on a Maddon reunion tour. 

Every year we say the same damn thing, gotta save money for pitching, and every year they do! Just not the pitching anyone actually wanted.

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

They'll have money to spend, but knowing the Angels, I doubt they spend it on pitching. haha

No they'll spend it on pitching. Everyone will visions of Scherzer or Kershaw and instead it'll be something unexciting like re-up Cobb and Bundy. 

50 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Fletcher is a better defender, yes. But after he wins a platinum glove this year at 2B, they'll have a difficult time justifying moving him off 2B.

With Iglesias at SS that’s great for this year. Next year though I’d prefer the better, more naturally talented and just more baseball intuitive player in Fletcher play the much more important and demanding SS position  if Renigfo or Barreto or someone else internally can show the can play 2B. Renigfo is young with potential but mentally on the field sometimes seems like a very close relative of Aybar. Hopefully it’s just a maturity issue and he can grow and develop out of it as Maddon has inferred.

Then instead of chasing and signing the expensive FA SS options like Linder, Correa,  Seager, etc. use the Pujols money and eventually Upton money coming off the books in the future to invest in better pitching and filling various other holes, catcher, etc.