• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Guns

Adam

32 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Rule 1) A gun is never unloaded 

Rule 2) Don't point a gun at what you don't want to shoot. (this is double important around your junk) 

Rule 3) Don't shoot at anything you don't want to kill. 

Now that you understand the rules, try not to shoot the instructors junk. 

Don’t be this guy 

If there is a range master there, just follow all of their instructions to the freaking letter. One of the things I love about Missouri is that they have state run ranges that are super cheap, but also well maintained and run by very good state park employee range masters. $6 to shoot as long as you want and absolutely zero bullshit tolerated.

All that said, what are you planning on firing?

What's a good handgun for a beginner?

I mean, something that I'd keep for years, but is relatively easy to learn to shoot and is also not terribly expensive. I'm not a "gun person" but I support 2A and wouldn't mind having a basic weapon for protection. 

Yes, I'm serious.

Edited by tdawg87

I'm actually thinking of buying a gun also.  I've shot a few guns in college, but I found that comfort is the biggest thing.  Some guns have wider grips, some are heavier, some are more complex, etc.  The Sig was more comfortable in my hand than a Beretta for instance.  Actually, looking at what I shot 20 years ago, and what guns look like now was really eye opening.

Anyways, anyone have experience with a Glock 20?  The main reason I'm looking at that one, is that the main reason if I buy a gun is for bear protection.  I hear that revolvers are the choice, because of dependability.  But I have one big problem with them.  If I am going to use a gun in a bear situation.  Shot one would be in the air to scare them away, possibly shot #2 also.  But if the bear says F U, that would leave 4 shots on a revolver to brain a bear before becoming lunch.  At least with the glock, that would be 6-8 shots, and reloading would be possible before lunch is served.

30 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I'm actually thinking of buying a gun also.  I've shot a few guns in college, but I found that comfort is the biggest thing.  Some guns have wider grips, some are heavier, some are more complex, etc.  The Sig was more comfortable in my hand than a Beretta for instance.  Actually, looking at what I shot 20 years ago, and what guns look like now was really eye opening.

Anyways, anyone have experience with a Glock 20?  The main reason I'm looking at that one, is that the main reason if I buy a gun is for bear protection.  I hear that revolvers are the choice, because of dependability.  But I have one big problem with them.  If I am going to use a gun in a bear situation.  Shot one would be in the air to scare them away, possibly shot #2 also.  But if the bear says F U, that would leave 4 shots on a revolver to brain a bear before becoming lunch.  At least with the glock, that would be 6-8 shots, and reloading would be possible before lunch is served.

I’ve always been uncomfortable with Glocks. They’ve just never seemed to fit my hand right. The general pistol vs revolver decision is more complex. Revolvers by nature are more reliable and are more likely to be available in bear stopping calibers. Both of those are good things in an outdoorsy type adventure. That said, a lot of pistols tend to be better in terms of overall safety features and mag capacity. Considering all of that, I know there are some revolvers out there chambered for .357 with an eight round capacity. Could be a nice compromise. Plus you could fire .38 special out of it at the range and maybe save a bit on ammo.