• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Virtual commencement

My stepdaughter graduated veterinary school at Oklahoma State University last Friday, officially becoming a DVM. I wasn't able to watch the ceremony as it happened (our firewall at work blocks streaming video), but I was able to watch a rebroadcast online. The university did a terrific job, given the circumstances. The intro was a collage of photos taken throughout the time that the current class spent in school. This was followed by a brief address from a faculty member chosen by the students to give their graduation address. Degrees were officially conferred, followed by a photo of each graduating student shown individually, saying where each was going after graduation. Then all 88 students - via video - simultaneously took the veterinary oath. After closing statements, there was a photo on stage of the entire class as the alma mater played in the background, then the program ended.

The students were invited back to formally walk at the graduation ceremony in December. Odds are that no more than a quarter of the class will take them up on it, if that. More than half the class is leaving the state.

I was planning to go to Stillwater for this until everything was canceled. I was supposed to fly out last Thursday and return yesterday.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Congratulations, Vegas. I know you’re very proud. 

we’re meeting tomorrow afternoon to figure out our 8th grade graduation plans. We’ve got ideas but need to talk them out and make a decision. Without a doubt not everyone will be pleased but if we can make the majority happy, that’ll be a relief.

8 hours ago, Tank said:

Congratulations, Vegas. I know you’re very proud. 

we’re meeting tomorrow afternoon to figure out our 8th grade graduation plans. We’ve got ideas but need to talk them out and make a decision. Without a doubt not everyone will be pleased but if we can make the majority happy, that’ll be a relief.

We've cancelled all promotions for middle schools.  Logistics are too difficult.  They get a virtual pat on the shoulder, and a, "go get 'em!"

Now she starts an equine internship. She applied to one here, heard nothing from them for a month, then just as it appeared that she was going somewhere in Georgia, they contacted her and told her that she is in. She begins work June 1, so not a lot of time to rest.

Not only did she finish, she was on the dean's list every semester that she was there, and she was inducted into two veterinary honor societies (that I had to look up). She said that only the top 8-10 students in the class were chosen. The gold cord and tassel that she would have worn for commencement were sent to the house.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I feel bad for the kid who spent his lunch money on a box of stink bombs for the actual graduation, only to be robbed by this stupid disease.

they can use the stay at home time to fire spit wads through straws at their relatives during our zoom grad.

2 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I haven't thought about stink bombs in years. Wasn't sure that anyone still makes them.

My most vivid memory of stink bombs isnt even real... it was in an episode of the wonder years, when kevin was running for school president, and just before his speech the fat kid accidentally dropped one, and another kid yelled "STINK BOMB!" all dramatic.

haven't ever seen one in my 36 year teaching career.

when i was in jr. high we had a few kids that fire one off here and there but it was usually at a little league game or practice, never at an important gathering like graduation.