• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sports memories

Claude

Not a game, but my mom took us to several tapings of Sports Challenge, a team jeopardy kind of quiz game featuring two teams of former players. It was hosted by Dick Enberg, so I was immediately captivated by it. Saw teams from the Rams and Yankees that I specifically remember. The Yankees team included DiMaggio, Lefty Grove, and Tommy Heinrich. The Rams had Tank Younger, Norm Van Brocklin (I think), and Elroy Crazy Legs Hirsch. Saw Hirsch between shows and talked to him about how he got his nickname (told me it was because his friends made fun of him because his hips moved liked a girls when he was running). We must have been there for about ten tapings. A favorite memory from my childhood.

I think we saw Ted Williams and a Red Sox team also, but I'm not 100% on that one.

Kinda sorta sports related. On Sunday August 31th 1986 I was on my way to work the Rams game (Angels stadium) with my brother in law when we witnessed the Aeromexico DC-9 fall from the sky in the Cerritos air disaster. My brother-in-law is a TV reporter who immediately exited the freeway to report on the crash. We were one of the first people on the scene. It was gruesome and something I will never forget.