• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

An Alternate Plan? More Offense? Castellanos, Contreras? Both?

totdprods

I would like to see either Walsh or Thaiss take the 1B job and run with it. Hopefully, Albert only plays twice a week at most. Another option is Smoak for one year. Castellanos would be a bad signing because when Adell is ready ( no later than June) you end up with a high salary on the bench. 

4 hours ago, GregAlso said:

I don’t see Ryu costing $30 million per year. He is not getting that much if MadBum only got $17 million per. I don’t know where you got that figure at all. Feels made up. 

No way Ryu gets 30 million a year or Keuchel gets 20 million a year.

15 minutes ago, Halodays said:

How about trading for a starter who is on the last year of his contract and using that money to extend him?

who would you suggest?

Trevor Bauer

Robbie Ray

James Paxton

Masahiro Tanaka

JakeArrieta (club option)

Marcus Stroman

Jose Quintana

2 hours ago, Halodays said:

How about trading for a starter who is on the last year of his contract and using that money to extend him?

no thanks.  that's a waste of resources and something that should only even be remotely considered when it gives the acquiring team a tremendous chance of winning a world series.  

we are not that team.  

14 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

We need pitchers and catchers, not outfielders. Unless there is a trade where an outfielder is included in the deal. I don't see that happening., as Castellanos is really bad defensively, and he won't take a one year deal.

Most of the post was about him playing 1B, and maybe just starting the season in RF. 

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Reds signed Miley, so now they’ve got six arms between him, Castillo, Bauer, DeSclafani, Mahle, and Sonny Gray.

Sign Castellanos for RF/1B, trade Goodwin+ for DeSclafani or Mahle, maybe expand for a catcher, and sign Keuchel. 

I think Mahle could break out this year.  The Reds need a SS.  I could totally see a Mahle for Rengifo swap.  

You make a good case for Castellanos.  I just think it ends up being too complicated.  He could be a guy that breaks out and becomes an offensive force like a JD Martinez.  I think he does have that potential.  

I actually think it would take us out of getting Ryu though which isn't horrible.  

But in the end I think Billy has gotten a taste of what it's like to rely on another team to value the players he does at the same level he thinks they should be.  

Castellanos further puts him in a position to acquiesce to another teams needs in order to meet your own.  

Kyle Schwarber might be available too - he’d cost some significant prospects, but could fill the role I pitched for Castellanos here more capably. A 1B/LF/RF/DH. He is still a 3rd string catcher too, and Maddon would be quite familiar. 

Contreras obviously fits a need better, but maybe Schwarber comes cheaper? Prospects for Schwarber and Quintana/Kimbrel?

29 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think Mahle could break out this year.  The Reds need a SS.  I could totally see a Mahle for Rengifo swap.  

Perhaps Goodwin and Rengifo for Mahle and Barnhart? Address SP and catcher in one move. 

If Castellanos is too complicated, they could also sign Pillar, Souza, or Calhoun on a 1-yr to hold RF for Adell instead of spending comparable money on someone like Gio or Smyly. And of course, still sign one of Keuchel/Ryu/Teheran. 

Basically, all I’m really saying is that we’re reaching a point where the FA bats remaining for RF and 1B might provide us more value than the FA SPs remaining, and the displaced/redundant players like Goodwin, La Stella, possibly Thaiss, could still have enough trade value to allow us to land another decent SP. Castellanos is simply the most dramatic example.

Edited by totdprods

20 hours ago, Halodays said:

For a 1 year rental not much but if allowed a window to negotiate an extension and come to terms then any prospect not named Adell or Marsh.

ok, so I'm the opposing GM...

"we want Marsh or it's no deal" 

your move. 

Edited by Lou

10 hours ago, Lou said:

ok, so I'm the opposing GM...

"wwewant Marsh or it's no deal" 

your move. 

lol ok...I've changed my mind. I'm trading Marsh to the Tigers for Boyd then flipping Boyd along with Thaiss and Jahmai Jones to the Mets for Syndergaard and Dominic Smith