• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday 9/19 Angels @ Yankees Walsh bats 5th

eligrba4ever

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Major revamp needed, top to bottom! So tired of this, year after year after year.

Coaches, pitchers, hitters, everything's on the table.

Trout is the only indispensable one. 

I am at a loss for words..........I did not think the bottom was this deep......and even that may be optimistic.

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

It doesn’t feel good but they need to experience this type of loss to learn where they need to get. Arte needs to see this and understand what Eppler’s up against. 

The A’s have been making the playoffs with over $60M less in payroll ... you can’t put the blame on Pujol’s contract. Eppler needs to get busy this off season. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

The A’s have been making the playoffs with over $60M less in payroll ... you can’t put the blame on Pujol’s contract. Eppler needs to get busy this off season. 

Yes but is that sustainable. Eppler needs to get the team to compete with the Astros, Yankees and Twins. If he can do that the A’s won’t be an issue. 

I love the idea that the 26 million a year 40 year old 1st baseman who by some miracle is putting up a 99 OPS+ (Incredibly mediocre results being the some of the best numbers he’s put up in the last 4 years- extremely unlikely to maintain) isn’t a problem. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Have you not been paying attention? Pujols is problem number 532 with the Angels. Pujols can occasionally help.

Pujols holds a very important roster spot and most importantly his salary is certainly something the Angels could use on pitching. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I love the idea that the 26 million a year 40 year old 1st baseman who by some miracle is putting up a 99 OPS+ isn’t a problem. 

It’s very difficult to seriously compete with the super teams with a huge expensive slug sitting right in the middle of the order. 

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

It’s very difficult to seriously compete with the super teams with a huge expensive slug sitting right in the middle of the order. 

Obviously Eppler isn’t aware of the problem ... they don’t need to bat him in the middle of the order or play him consistently. You and others need to quit pointing your finger at Pujols. 

3 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I do have to admit though.  Some of the younger guys were given some opportunities and failed miserably.  Part of the talk the last year or two has been the improved farm system.  So far it’s epic fail which portends a poor future.  If the farm system fails to produce, the bad free agent signings get magnified.  The hope was that a young kid would step up and perform making Pujols an expensive late inning home run threat.  

6 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Obviously Eppler isn’t aware of the problem ... they don’t need to bat him in the middle of the order or play him consistently. You and others need to quit pointing your finger at Pujols. 

He takes up a roster spot and is eating up a lot of payroll.  He’s also not good. Stop it. 

The problem is what it is.  There’s no solution other then buying him out.  Which at this point they probably won’t do.  But still, if you want to talk about the team and the challenges facing it. Pujols is one the bigger ones.  Not the biggest, but a legitimate one and impactful one.  I don’t really care if you and Eli want to pretend the issue doesn’t exist.  But also, it’s not some unspeakable thing.  This is an Angels message board.  It’s on topic.  Don’t comment if you think it’s repetitive. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, thebloob said:

I do have to admit though.  Some of the younger guys were given some opportunities and failed miserably.  Part of the talk the last year or two has been the improved farm system.  So far it’s epic fail which portends a poor future.  If the farm system fails to produce, the bad free agent signings get magnified.  The hope was that a young kid would step up and perform making Pujols an expensive late inning home run threat.  

I understand that but if Pujols was giving us what Nelson Cruz is giving the Twins I would welcome him in our lineup. 

02D34807-7058-4723-B313-ED8BCCEC8107.jpeg

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

He takes up a roster spot and is eating up a lot of payroll.  He’s also not good. Stop it. 

The problem is what it is.  There’s no solution other then buying him out.  Which at this point they probably won’t do.  But still, if you want to talk about the team and the challenges facing it. Pujols is one the bigger ones.  Not the biggest, but a legitimate one and impactful one.  I don’t really care if you and Eli want to pretend the issue doesn’t exist.  But also, it’s not some unspeakable thing.  This is an Angels message board.  It’s on topic.  Don’t comment if you think it’s repetitive. 

The Angels could eat the contract ... problem solved. Now what?

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

The Angels could eat the contract ... problem solved. Now what?

Now they still wouldn’t have that money to spend because it goes against the tax.  So releasing him only helps if they can improve the position in house since all available money should be spent on pitching.  So if Ward,Thaiss or LaStella can put up better numbers then go with them.  There is an extra roster space next year which considering how Ausmus uses his pen will go to a pitcher, we will still be down a body on the actual 26 man roster because of Shohei.  

As I said, it’s close to an unresolvable problem.  Ideally they could get something out of either Thaiss or Ward.  Or in the fun time video game scenario Arte say fu*ck the cap and pays Rendon (or even some other effective 3B).  Move LaStella to 1st put Fletcher at 2B. 

The bottom line is that ideally the Angels need another bat.  Even if Adell works out quickly.  I’ll be optimistic and figure that between Upton and Goodwin at least one will be satisfactory. 

21 minutes ago, Baghdad Strad said:

Now they still wouldn’t have that money to spend because it goes against the tax.  So releasing him only helps if they can improve the position in house since all available money should be spent on pitching.  So if Ward,Thaiss or LaStella can put up better numbers then go with them.  There is an extra roster space next year which considering how Ausmus uses his pen will go to a pitcher, we will still be down a body on the actual 26 man roster because of Shohei.  

Never said the money will disappear ... the FO will have to get creative. The Dodgers did a good job of getting rid of ugly contracts and now somehow are below $200M. 

The team sucks with or without Pujol’s contract unfortunately. 

They just have to make the best of the situation. If they can get Wheeler and Cole and if LaStella can repeat.  With some health luck they should be pretty good and trending in right direction.  Not Astros good (at least not next year)but competitive at least.  And maybe finally good enough for the wild card.  It’s definitely possible. 

54 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Pujols is a significant problem going into the last couple of years of his contract.  If you think otherwise you aren’t paying attention. 

How?

Not one player coming from the farm has been as productive playing first base.  Not one free agent has put pressure on Albert or the Angel's to make a change.  I understand he makes lots of money. But the organization has paid Hamilton. Harvey, Allen and a few others lots of money to not play for the Angel's. At least Albert puts up some numbers.

Maybe I should not pay attention to the pitching, catching, managing, scouting, pitch selection....and just put my sights on Pujols.

Edited by eligrba