• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Damn...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/09/02/dozens-missing-charter-boat-fire-off-ventura-county-coastline-santa-cruz-island/amp/

Didnt see this posted anywhere else. 

Sad as hell. Gotta wonder how the fire got out of hand that fast. I assume it was a kitchen fire (breakfast), with only a skeleton crew awake.

Doesnt sound like they were that far out to sea... so the fact nobody got out sounds like it was out of control very quickly.

Scary as hell. Ive been out to sea several times. Fire is always the biggest threat. 

Been on dive boats like that.  Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what actually happened.  But yes, they do have full kitchens on those types of boats, and considering 5 people were awake at 3 am.  My guess is they were prepping the next days gear/breakfast for an early morning dive.  In the boats I've been on, the bunks are usually down below (although I have been on one where some were on the aft deck).  But they are stacked down there against the bow (front).  With the kitchen in the mid, and the gear, tanks, compressors in the aft of the boat.  

Also to note.  Just in case you were wondering.  On dive boats, alcohol is usually strictly prohibited until the ride back home.  Scuba and alcohol don't mix at all.  And that goes with crew too.  Unlike what you see in the movies, it's serious business among scuba boats.  And the Dive Master is responsible for everyone that goes in the water.  

I think one of the big things they are going to look at is if there are escape hatches in the bow or not.  Not sure what the regs are.  But thinking about the trips I've taken, I don't think I've ever been told if there were any emergency hatches on any of the boats I've been on.  

Im trying to think. Ive been on the same boat, several different times. I dont think theres a hatch below, except for the staircase leading to the top deck. 

Again, i assume they were prepping breakfast. I wonder if maybe any of the gear exploded? Like the nitrox or something? (Dont even know if its flammable).

Only other thing i can think of is the engine (aside from kitchen). 

The fact no one got out, or thst the crew wasnt able to grab anyone tells me it flashed over very quickly.

It was only 20 yards(!) offshore.... and the bodies supposedly are on board, they didnt jump off (and drown).

The news just had a picture on of below deck bunks.  Damn, that was some luxury shit.  The scuba boats I've been on were like I was in a motel in skid row compared to what was on that boat. 

Shut up Lou, I've never ever been in a motel on skid row.  

At least not recently.

Report came out today that all hands were asleep when the fire started and that a crew member woke up. That is complete and total incompetent bullshit. I was a Captain of a boat for 3 years, First Mate for 3 and a deckhand for 4. There was never a time when we were at anchor that there wasn't  at least 2 hands on deck. We had to maintain anchor logs and do hourly smoke/fire checks at night. Even tied up to the dock, we had night watches if there were people below sleeping.

I am also surprised that there weren't 2 points of egress in each part of the vessel. 

I just can't believe that, if it was a Li battery fire, that someone wouldn't have been woken up immediately by the smoke or heat or light and been able to extinguish the fire or alert everyone to escape. Additionally, its apparent that the fire spread quickly. What materials are down there that would accelerate the spread of the fire? I can't imagine that the boat was filled with combustible materials. Blankets on the beds, sure. 

Just sad, all around. 

1 hour ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

I just can't believe that, if it was a Li battery fire, that someone wouldn't have been woken up immediately by the smoke or heat or light and been able to extinguish the fire or alert everyone to escape. Additionally, its apparent that the fire spread quickly. What materials are down there that would accelerate the spread of the fire? I can't imagine that the boat was filled with combustible materials. Blankets on the beds, sure. 

Just sad, all around. 

Lithium battery fires, depending on the size of the battery can spread quickly, and cause explosions.  It's been linked to some of the plane downings.  Heck, look at those videos when the battery on a Tesla goes.  It engulfs the car pretty quickly. 

Now, that being said, I can't imagine the batteries that were used by the divers were very big.  Of course underwater dive video cameras may have a pretty large battery, and if someone had one of those things that propels you through the water.  Also could be one of those cascading things where there was one large and a lot of small batteries nearby.  I guess other possibility is proximity to the galley.  Galley would have some flamable materials.  

Also remember, there were 6 crew members, not 5.  5 escaped and 1 didn't.  Could be the one that didn't was the watch person.  Of course everything is really just speculation.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:49 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

I remember having a small fire on a boat i was on once. Everyone had o get on deck with life vests... no one really took it seriouw, except the crew.

I probably will going forward.

So, just got back. 6 days diving.

Had another fire alarm.

We all stayed in bed. Again.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:21 PM, Sully151 said:

Report came out today that all hands were asleep when the fire started and that a crew member woke up. That is complete and total incompetent bullshit. I was a Captain of a boat for 3 years, First Mate for 3 and a deckhand for 4. There was never a time when we were at anchor that there wasn't  at least 2 hands on deck. We had to maintain anchor logs and do hourly smoke/fire checks at night. Even tied up to the dock, we had night watches if there were people below sleeping.

I am also surprised that there weren't 2 points of egress in each part of the vessel. 

Totally agree. Ive been on numerous ships over the years... theres ALWAYS someone on watch.

8th General Order of the Marine Corps: To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

Thats due to the USMC being a naval service, but even in the Army, whoever is awake to keep watch is known as the "fireguard". 

Its mindblowing that nobody was standing watch, on a business ship.... if you own your own, its on you. You run a business, you obey the laws of the sea...