• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another bad year on the farm

52 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Suarez, Marsh and Jones have also all been BA top 100 prospects. 

The only one to make a BBA pre-season top 100 list is Jones.   The others have made some MLBPipeline, FG and BBP lists.

BBref.com minor league pages track top 100 stuff.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Oh my bad.  Didn’t realize we were only talking preseason. 

Not really, I'm just clarifying my lists were the preseason lists.   Thing is, their post season lists tend to be the same as their next season's pre-season list, the biggest changes being international signings like Ohtani.

The only player among those three to make a pre or post season BBA list was Jones according to BBRef.com

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=suarez007jos

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=marsh-000bra

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=jones-000jah

You can see who made pre and postseason listen going year by year on the team pages like this one.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/affiliate.cgi?id=ANA&year=2019. The 2018 page is a better example https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/affiliate.cgi?id=ANA&year=2018

A few years ago the farm system sucked camel balls.

Last year it looked really good, but this was partially relative to how crappy it had been.

This year it seemingly took a half step back, but this was largely due to a combination of graduations and correcting misperception.

So it has only been a "bad year" relative to our slightly over-inflated perception from last year, which was due to how bad the farm had been previously. 

The bottom line is that the farm is in much better shape than it was a few years ago. It isn't (yet) a top third system, but it is firmly middle of the pack and the overall trajectory is one of improvement. We're going to see a lot of players graduate to the major leagues over the next half decade. Candidates:

2018-19: Fletcher, Rengifo, Walsh, Ward, Hermosillo, Canning, Suarez, Barria, Sandoval.

2020-21: Adell, Marsh, Rojas, Jones, Wilson, L Rivas, Ortega, C Rodriguez, Soriano, Bradish, Hernandez, Yan.

2022+:: Knowles, Maitan, Jackson, Adams, Deveaux, Paris, Ramirez, Kochanowicz, Aquino, Holmes, Uceta, R Rivas.

I'm not saying all of those guys are going to make it, but all have a chance of becoming at least useful major league players. And of course there will be others that aren't even on the radar. If we had made similar lists a few years ago they'd be much shorter and less talented.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:18 AM, TroutField said:

Is that you, Dipoto?

The farm is looking good... check out the minor league thread. Minor League  Team records don’t matter much.. 

Yea, it’s me... dipoto... hilarious. Just generating some conversation on a fan board. Wondering if there’s a correlation between prospect depth, and winning percentages. Seems like the highly rated farms have a better win% Although I like a lot of individuals in the Angels farm system, I’m curious as to the lack of depth being reflective by their w/l record 

On 8/10/2019 at 1:01 AM, red321 said:

oh noes....the minor league team doesn't win championships...

wtf...the goal of the minor leagues is to produce talent for the major league team...period. AAA team is built to have guys who can fill in at the major league level and put the final polish on a younger prospect. AA team is to start to weed out the might be from the never will be and it goes on down the line. 

WTF indeed... didn’t say anything about wanting our minor league teams to win championships. Just something to talk about. 

25 minutes ago, Hufflepuff said:

Yea, it’s me... dipoto... hilarious. Just generating some conversation on a fan board. Wondering if there’s a correlation between prospect depth, and winning percentages. Seems like the highly rated farms have a better win% Although I like a lot of individuals in the Angels farm system, I’m curious as to the lack of depth being reflective by their w/l record 

even though I mentioned earlier in this thread that there is no correlation between a farm being good and their winning pct, there is probably a correlation to depth and in particular depth at the upper levels of the system.  

I would also like to emphasize how big of a difference there is when a guy is playing a level up.  Something the Angels have their players do very aggressively.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

even though I mentioned earlier in this thread that there is no correlation between a farm being good and their winning pct, there is probably a correlation to depth and in particular depth at the upper levels of the system.  

I would also like to emphasize how big of a difference there is when a guy is playing a level up.  Something the Angels have their players do very aggressively.  

Yup,  depth fuels winning more than anything else...   

Systems with depth have organizational types and former prospects that have flamed out, but are still potentially useful.   The Angels system is a world better than it was and yet not remotely deep.  The lack of depth was/is a system wide issue...

Not sure why people are struggling to understand that or how it's impacted the franchise as a whole.

Edited by Inside Pitch