• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole Calhoun 2.0 and 2020

@Angelsjunky I think catcher addressed long-term is something Eppler will be keeping an eye on and will be opportunistic with - maybe not as dramatically as he did with Simmons at SS, because those catchers don’t come around often, but he’ll move when he finds the right guy for the right price. Maybe it’s Grandal.

But, I also feel like it’s not high priority for those same reasons - there are only so few above-average catchers. Almost everyone else is in the same boat we are, and the resources spent acquiring that catcher might be better used getting us over the rest of the competition elsewhere, currently the rotation.

I’m very pleased with the catchers he has acquired - all have done very well in relation to the cost it took to get them. And it goes beyond Maldonado and Lucroy and Soto and Rivera, but even down to guys like Joe Hudson who was a poor hitter before raking in the Angels minors, or Curt Casali being signed, then released, then picked up by Cincy before becoming a plus-plus hitter. Arcia produced. Briceno was a throw in. Garneau has played well. Eppler knows how to find a lot of value behind the dish very cheaply, even if the ceiling isn’t high. Neither is the relative cost, and it comes out a net positive, especially when we’ve had so many other needs.

I do think he differed this year a bit and our offense before defense at catcher, and it could be one reason the staff hasn’t done well. With the offense emerging as a whole, I could see him flipping back to a defense-first guy next year. 

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Furthermore, a look ahead at what's coming off the books:

• $35.7m after 2019: Harvey ($11m), Cahill ($9m), Allen ($8.5m), Bour ($2.5m), Ramirez ($1.9m), Garcia ($1.7m), Tropeano ($1.1m)- I didn't count Lucroy, because I imagine we'll sign someone else similarly.
  • $40-45m after 2020: Simmons ($15m), Calhoun ($14m), Cozart ($12.67m), and whatever La Stella's new arb figure is. I imagine Simmons will be an extension/re-sign candidate.
  • $30m after 2021: Pujols ($30m)
  • $28m after 2022: Upton ($28m)

The Angels have plenty of money coming off the books the next four offseasons to allow them to pursue truly impact FAs now - but it's only doable if they have a farm pumping in enough players to round out all the other needs - a 4th OF, a catcher, utility infielders, back-of-rotation arms, relievers - all the types of free agents that tend to suck more often than not. That's why a .700 OPS Matt Thaiss still helps us. That's why a 4.50 ERA from Jaime Barria in #5 helps. That's why Noe Ramirez and a 3.50 long relief ERA helps. All these guys hitting the bigs at the same time helps, because it keeps them on similar arbitration schedules as well. Once this new wave starts hitting the second year of arb and making a couple mil, the Angels can start looking towards Jackson, Maitan, Martinez, Adams, Wilson, Knowles.

So, next year.

• 2020 Rotation
    • 1) Gerrit Cole or up to two of Bumgarner, Ryu, Wheeler, Odorizzi, Porcello, Perez, Pineda, Wood, Wacha, Roark, Nova, Miley, Gio - the only real clear and glaring need is a big arm or two to the rotation.
    • 2) Ohtani
    • 3) Heaney
    • 4) Canning
    • 5) Pena
    • 6) Barria, Suarez, Sandoval, Madero
  • 2020 Lineup
    • 3B La Stella
    • CF Trout
    • DH Ohtani
    • LF Upton
    • SS Simmons
    • 1B Pujols
    • RF Calhoun
    • C cheap vet FAs
    • 2B Fletcher
  • 2020 Bench
    • back-up catcher, Cozart as UT IF, Goodwin/Hermosillo/Lund for 4th OF, and a rotation of Rengifo, Ward, Thaiss, Walsh, Rojas for the last spot, based on need
  • 2020 Bullpen
    • Buttrey, Robles, Anderson, Middleton, Bedrosian, Cole, Ramirez, Bard, Jewell, spare SPs, a waiver claim or two, Madero, Ortega

Looks good to me, really. A lot of youth, not even counting Adell, Marsh, or Jones, any of whom could also show up next year. 

This offseason is the first in a very long time, that the Angels have no position players to fill outside of Catcher.  Backup 1B is also needed.  But other than that, it’s all Starting Pitching.  Even the bullpen seem set going into next year.  Eppler can put all his marbles into starting pitching in an offseason where there are some really nice options.