• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout: Shohei Ohtani has best power in the league

Chuck

I don't know if Ohtani has the best power, but I do think he has the best oppo power and doesn't need to swing nearly as hard as the others to hit a homerun. I think his regular BP session may win the derby. 500 foot homers are awesome to look at, but if Ohtani only hits it 400 feet but homers every single pitch, he wins. 

9 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

Best power in the league? No sir. That belongs to a Judge and Stanton. 

But it I love the love for a teammate. 

Shohei in BP is just as powerful as Judge and Stanton. What’s crazy though is that Shohei rarely uses his smooth controlled BP swing during the games but he somehow makes it work because of his tremendous bat speed. 

15 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Shohei in BP is just as powerful as Judge and Stanton. What’s crazy though is that Shohei rarely uses his smooth controlled BP swing during the games but he somehow makes it work because of his tremendous bat speed. 

This is homerism no offense. How many times has Ohtani come close to a Stanton HR in terms of exit velocity or distance?

On 6/29/2019 at 7:41 PM, Chuckster70 said:

He no longer has that leg kick, yet he still hits the ball just as far if not farther because of his quick bat and the loft in his swing.

His former swing looked much more balanced. Notice that his front hip and front foot don't dive out of the box. 

ohtani_swing_ (1).gif

Edited by Calzone 2

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

His former swing looked much more balanced. Notice that his hips and front foot don't dive out of the box. 

ohtani_swing_ (1).gif

In 159 games (to date) with his current swing:

.291 .361 .914 OPS 32 HR 94 RBI

If anything from his previous swing was changed, there was a reason.

I also remember you lamenting a month ago how he "just doesn't look like he has the same swing" and he proceeded to go on a tear.

Might want to leave this one the professionals.

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I also remember you lamenting a month ago how he "just doesn't look like he has the same swing" and he proceeded to go on a tear.

Well he was compared to Babe Ruth.

ku-medium.gif

24 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Yeah, I'm shocked to see he was bailing out on his practice swings. 

Ohtani may get an invite after all to the All Star Game.

The Rangers clarified Hunter Pence's status Tuesday morning, saying that he aggravated his groin injury during Monday's rehab game.

It was originally reported as hamstring tightness, but it's actually the groin injury that sent him to the injured list in the first place. Either way, it's not good news. Pence was voted in as the DH for the American League in next week's All-Star Game, but he could obviously be pushing it at this point.

Its hard to say - its possible that Ohtani is a worse "hitter" than some other power hitters, but has more raw power than them. Like, others have more, longer home runs, but that's only because they are better able to square up MLB pitching. Ohtani, being new to the league, may still be adjusting and relying on raw strength.

That being said, I think Judge is probably the guy with the most raw power. Watching him in the home run derby, it was like a man against boys.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:14 PM, mulwin444 said:

Could this have something to do with park factors.  He seems to hit more toward center as an Angel.  

What do we mean by power? HR per PA? Exit velocity? HR distance? Isolated Power?

Regardless of metric, you definitely need to include Stanton, Judge, Gallo, and now Alonso in the conversation. The Astros have this guy (yet another prospect...wtf), Yordan Alvarez, who has a .417 ISO and 7 HR in his first 16 major league games. He's 22. And then there's young Vlad Jr. Trout, Yelich, Muncy, K Davis, etc...