• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dallas Keuchel

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Keuchel is now 31.  

Do you know how many 31 yo or older pitchers have met that criteria in the last 10 years who have also allowed more than a hit per inning?  

4 in 229 pitcher seasons.  

He'd likely be a serviceable pitcher, but don't think for a second he's going to do what he's done in the past ever again.  

And that's why he's not signed yet.  

Teams have finally decided to pay guys for what they think they'll do as opposed to what they've already done.  

According to you it sounds like he’s in a elite group of pitchers last season and now wash up at 31 years old. 

What’s going to happen when Trout is over thirty and the Angels are paying him for what he does and not what he has already done? 

11 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

According to you it sounds like he’s in a elite group of pitchers last season and now wash up at 31 years old. 

What’s going to happen when Trout is over thirty and the Angels are paying him for what he does and not what he has already done? 

my point, which you so often miss (purposefully or not) is that what he did last year was an aberration.  I specifically said he's not bad and in fact, I think he'd be a nice addition to the rotation.  But don't expect a sub 4.00 era in for the life of that contract.  If you can get him for the rest of the year, there's an ok chance of it happening.  But there are red flags in his numbers that he's already started to decline.  

every team in baseball who has a ton of much smarter people than I, pretty much feel the same way in that they don't see him being able to sustain what he's done in the past and that he's showing signs of not being worth the amount he's asking for which I am sure was to be commensurate with his past performance.  

17 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

my point, which you so often miss (purposefully or not) is that what he did last year was an aberration.  I specifically said he's not bad and in fact, I think he'd be a nice addition to the rotation.  But don't expect a sub 4.00 era in for the life of that contract.  If you can get him for the rest of the year, there's an ok chance of it happening.  But there are red flags in his numbers that he's already started to decline.  

every team in baseball who has a ton of much smarter people than I, pretty much feel the same way in that they don't see him being able to sustain what he's done in the past and that he's showing signs of not being worth the amount he's asking for which I am sure was to be commensurate with his past performance.  

Keuchel posted a 4.55 ERA in 2016 then went sub 3.0 in 2017. My point is he could post better numbers this season than last season. He a finesse pitcher with plenty of gas left in his tank. I could easily see him pitching into his mid thirties as a mid rotation starter. 

Time will tell ... should be a interesting follow 

if i were eppler, i'd at least give him a call and see what his interest level is in signing with the halos. proceed from there and negotiate like a madman if he's interested.

cahill and harvey are what they are. they're not going to suddenly be good pitchers. keuchel is better than both of them and this team could use the help.

The more i think about this the more i think just stay away.  Yes it would be an improvement over Cahill/Harvey, but then again so likely will keeping Canning, Suarez, et all up and waiting for the Ramirez types to get fully healthy rather than spending on a high prices average pitcher leaving us limited in looking at other options.

I dont think what we want really matters as i dont think he would bother coming here given a choice and its clear he has choices so... next topic :) 

29 minutes ago, Tank said:

if i were eppler, i'd at least give him a call and see what his interest level is in signing with the halos. proceed from there and negotiate like a madman if he's interested.

cahill and harvey are what they are. they're not going to suddenly be good pitchers. keuchel is better than both of them and this team could use the help.

Wait a minute...

Isn't that YOUR job, Tank?

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

The more i think about this the more i think just stay away.  Yes it would be an improvement over Cahill/Harvey, but then again so likely will keeping Canning, Suarez, et all up and waiting for the Ramirez types to get fully healthy rather than spending on a high prices average pitcher leaving us limited in looking at other options.

I dont think what we want really matters as i dont think he would bother coming here given a choice and its clear he has choices so... next topic :) 

There’s no reason for the Angels to sign Keuchel with Boston and Cleveland blocking the road. 

Cross your fingers and ride with the pitching in hand. Stranger things have happened .

12 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

There’s no reason for the Angels to sign Keuchel with Boston and Cleveland blocking the road. 

Cross your fingers and ride with the pitching in hand. Stranger things have happened .

Oh theres reason, giving us the chance to be better than them alone is reason.
However, there is little reason on HIS side to come here when places like NY are interested.  He will go where its relevant and hope to latch on or make a good audition for next year.
Until we take the next step as a franchise our only leverage is to throw more money at people, and we will never be able to throw more than NY or LA so... 

10 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

No reason not to sign Keuchel just for the year.  Even if we aren’t good he’ll get us a nice piece at the deadline if we sell

So sign him for a month and then flip him? He won’t even be in the majors by the trade deadline probably. I’d expect he’ll go through some sort of spring training before they bring him up

4 hours ago, floplag said:

Oh theres reason, giving us the chance to be better than them alone is reason.
However, there is little reason on HIS side to come here when places like NY are interested.  He will go where its relevant and hope to latch on or make a good audition for next year.
Until we take the next step as a franchise our only leverage is to throw more money at people, and we will never be able to throw more than NY or LA so... 

I think NY and LA are already knocking on the luxury tax threshold. The Angels have tons of extra money. Like $30-$40M

But seriously, what can Keuchel do for us at this point? Help us bail water.

Edited by Calzone 2

47 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I think NY and LA are already knocking on the luxury tax threshold. The Angels have tons of extra money. Like $30-$40M

But seriously, what can Keuchel do for us at this point? Help us bail water.

Per front office sources we are already stretched and Epp had to get approval to even get Allen.  If you beleive that, then no, we dont.
Also the tax has no meaning to either of them.  

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Per front office sources we are already stretched and Epp had to get approval to even get Allen.  If you beleive that, then no, we dont.

The Dodgers dumped a ton of players in the offseason for the sole purpose of staying below the luxury tax threshold so that's just flat out untrue.

27 minutes ago, floplag said:

The tax does impact the Yankees. They purposely stayed away from Machado.

30 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

The Dodgers dumped a ton of players in the offseason for the sole purpose of staying below the luxury tax threshold so that's just flat out untrue.

No that was an intelligent effort to reset it in a year that it didn't make sense to blow money for now real reason as no one looked to challenge them.  
They will bust that things if necessary and not think twice.

6 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

The tax does impact the Yankees. They purposely stayed away from Machado.

Becasue of the cost, or because he simply wasnt worth it?
No one on this board wanted to pay Machado what SD did, why would the Yanks?  They didnt need him that badly and other options were in play. 
IF that was Trout in free agency they would have paid 40 and not though about it twice.  Its literally monopoly money to them.