• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2019 Trade Deadline Candidates

Chuck

If Lucroy, La Stella and Goodwin remain productive, would you look to deal them for prospects close to the big league level at the deadline?

Also, if Calhoun rips the cover off the ball from now until then, in addition to Tyler Skaggs performing well, you have to look at trading these two guys as well. What does Skaggs contract look like right now, how many years is he signed through? I'd rather keep Heaney out of the two current LHP's we have, plus we have Suarez and Sandoval knocking on the door. 

It's too bad that we're most likely not going to get a penny in return for Harvey, Cahill, Allen and Cozart. 

First, a lot can change still. One year ago, Kinsler looked like a lost cause. He hadn’t had his breakout series in Detroit, was hitting .190 with an OPS below .600. In two months’ time, he managed to get us Buttrey and Jerez. 

So, Lucroy and Calhoun look attractive now, and Cahill, Harvey, Allen don’t, but things can and will change.

I wouldn’t trade Goodwin or La Stella. They’re worth more to us as, at the very least, cheap, productive depth for 2020 than whatever anyone is likely willing to offer for their one ‘breakout’ year. 

I’d seriously shop Skaggs. He still isn’t putting it together for us and next year is his final year of control, so even if he puts it all together now, we’ll likely risk him walking after next year and only get a year’s worth of his ceiling. I’d shop him big time. Houston, San Diego, Boston, Atlanta, Philly, and Yanks all would be interested. I think he’d do well in Houston and the Angels could pull a haul. They’ll have a need on a lotto-tick SP like Skaggs - his ceiling and his floor would both be worth it to them, and they have a knack for getting big results from pitchers like Tyler. It’s be good him, good for them, and good for the Angels to poach from their system.

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

First, a lot can change still. One year ago, Kinsler looked like a lost cause. He hadn’t had his breakout series in Detroit, was hitting .190 with an OPS below .600. In two months’ time, he managed to get us Buttrey and Jerez. 

So, Lucroy and Calhoun look attractive now, and Cahill, Harvey, Allen don’t, but things can and will change.

I wouldn’t trade Goodwin or La Stella. They’re worth more to us as, at the very least, cheap, productive depth for 2020 than whatever anyone is likely willing to offer for their one ‘breakout’ year. 

I’d seriously shop Skaggs. He still isn’t putting it together for us and next year is his final year of control, so even if he puts it all together now, we’ll likely risk him walking after next year and only get a year’s worth of his ceiling. I’d shop him big time. Houston, San Diego, Boston, Atlanta, Philly, and Yanks all would be interested. I think he’d do well in Houston and the Angels could pull a haul. They’ll have a need on a lotto-tick SP like Skaggs - his ceiling and his floor would both be worth it to them, and they have a knack for getting big results from pitchers like Tyler. It’s be good him, good for them, and good for the Angels to poach from their system.

I agree with all of this, especially the "I wouldn't trade Goodwin or La Stella" part.  Goodwin is our bridge to Adell, and at the worst, he's a very good 4th OFer - something many people have been pining for for years.

While I don't necessarily expect La Stella to continue with his power outburst, many other things indicate what we are seeing is real - his BABIP is actually low, his BB% is higher than his K% (which is incredibly low), etc.  I'd keep him and, in truth, consider extending him, if the FO feels what they are seeing is sustainable over the course of the next several years.

Otherwise, in addition to the obvious guys on 1-year deals, I'd shop Skaggs and Calhoun for sure.  I have to imagine between Skaggs, Calhoun, Lucroy, Bedrosian .. we can at least get a few prospects who will be contributors to our future core to varying degrees.

Just now, Warfarin said:

I agree with all of this, especially the "I wouldn't trade Goodwin or La Stella" part.  Goodwin is our bridge to Adell, and at the worst, he's a very good 4th OFer - something many people have been pining for for years.

While I don't necessarily expect La Stella to continue with his power outburst, many other things indicate what we are seeing is real - his BABIP is actually low, his BB% is higher than his K% (which is incredibly low), etc.  I'd keep him and, in truth, consider extending him, if the FO feels what they are seeing is sustainable over the course of the next several years.

Otherwise, in addition to the obvious guys on 1-year deals, I'd shop Skaggs and Calhoun for sure.  I have to imagine between Skaggs, Calhoun, Lucroy, Bedrosian .. we can at least get a few prospects who will be contributors to our future core to varying degrees.

The other good thing is if they do prove this performance is legit, they could become trade pieces next year when guys like Adell, Marsh, Lund, Hermosillo, Hunter, Rengifo, Jones, Rivas, Torres, etc. start pushing for playing time.

If Calhoun gets his act together and, as you said, hits the cover off the ball, absolutely make him available.

Skaggs too. Not at all comfortable with keeping him re: his tendency to get injured. Shop him while his value is decent.

Whatever happens, I don't want to see Cozart, Cahill, Harvey, or Allen anywhere near Anaheim next year. Dump them all.

I think we should be buying and selling.  Make moves that will improve the team in the future.  The players I want us to trade at the deadline are:

Harvey

Cahill

Lucroy

Bour

Skaggs

La Stella

One of Calhoun or Goodwin

Any reliever other than Anderson, Buttrey, Cole, Middleton, and Robles (except if it's an overpayment)

Start moving these guys out no later than a week before the deadline, and then with the assets acquired from these deals + the prospects we already have, start making moves to add to the team for 2020 and beyond.

Buying and selling should be on the menu. This past offseason was proof positive that even if you have money to spend, there’s no assurance of getting the free agent you want, or at the price you feel comfortable paying.

Sell some players to add to our prospect pool, and buy a key piece or two. Supplement those additions in FA.

Edited by totdprods

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

The Angels are on the brink of becoming a truly competitive team for a very long time. The Angels shouldn't be selling like they're in a full scale rebuild. Keep the guys that will help, but sell on expiring contracts and guys that are over- performing their ability level. 

I wouldn't sell on Skaggs. He loves pitching in So-Cal, loves the Angels,  is left handed so limits left handed hitters benefiting from the shortened fence on right field. He's a solid enough starter that he can stay around long term and there's still some breakout potential. 

But La Stella, yeah I would sell high on him. Calhoun too. Goodwin as well. I would move Cahill to the bullpen immediately so he can have some success there then trade him. Harvey too.

But what we do agree on is that the Angels should be buying and selling. There should be some dealing and roster tweaking going on in prep for our run beginning next year.  

8 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

If Lucroy, La Stella and Goodwin remain productive, would you look to deal them for prospects close to the big league level at the deadline?

1000 percent yes

Not because I dislike them. But we should be stoked we actually have non core guys to trade this year.

La Stella especially has been fun to watch. But how real is he? I have no clue. If we can get someone to overpay for any of those guys (as in a legit prospect) we should jump.

13 hours ago, Lou said:

We should trade our shitty players and get good players in return 

I did some research into this idea. Turns out it's been a pretty successful strategy when executed correctly. Someone should really pass it along to the front office.

15 hours ago, Lou said:

We should trade our shitty players and get good players in return 

That doesn't work here. The Angels' crappy guys go on to monster careers and the guys they get in return end up as monumental disasters.

Last night in the IE I watched Adell get his first two hits on a cool windy night. The Ports pitcher was mowing down the 66ers, even Adell in the first inning. His second at bat he crushed one to deep center on a low arched drive that hit the base of the wall 410 feet away for a double. His second hit was a burner line drive right over the 2nd baseman into right center field. This was only his second game back from rehab and he is already dialing in. I think Calhoun could be expendable.