• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We're #8 !!!

Lou

9 minutes ago, Lou said:

the Rays are 10-3 

That’s the thing. They’re pretty consistently competitive in a tough division, yet they have pretty low attendance numbers, never averaging more than 1.8 mil over any three-year span. I’m sure that contributes a lot to their relatively low value as a franchise. I guess it doesn’t matter how good they are if no one is coming to see them.

19 hours ago, Scott34 said:

Arte bought the team for $184M and its now $1.9B. Not bad. 

And he has no debt on the team to pay off if he sold.  All of it would go into his pocket.

Plus, I think he would get substantially more than 1.9B if he actually sold the team.

These are not net numbers.  They represent an estimated price the team would sell for!  It doesn't take into account real debt they have on the teams not related to salaries.

They don't represent the financial health of the team or its ability to take on more expenses (like additional salary).

Suggesting it is about right that the guy with the 8th most valuable house has the 8th highest car payment is potentially 100% wrong if the top seven have massive mortgages and the 8th has no mortgage.

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

These are not net numbers.  They represent an estimated price the team would sell for!  It doesn't take into account real debt they have on the teams not related to salaries.

They don't represent the financial health of the team or its ability to take on more expenses (like additional salary).

Suggesting it is about right that the guy with the 8th most valuable house has the 8th highest car payment is potentially 100% wrong if the top seven have massive mortgages and the 8th has no mortgage.

1F5C56DF-46AC-4F13-B7F5-3439A0D03E19.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Do you know the financial statuses of all the other teams as well as you know the Angels?

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Plus, I think he would get substantially more than 1.9B if he actually sold the team.

38 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

These are not net numbers.  They represent an estimated price the team would sell for! 

i agree 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Do you know the financial statuses of all the other teams as well as you know the Angels?

You have asked this snarky question a few times.

The debt information is not insider info.  The Angeks have no debt and tons of other teams have lots of debt.

If you don't like this very relevant piece of information, that's up to you.

But what is funny is you don't mind making conclusive comments that probably SHOULD be considering what you want to ignore.

The amount of debt you have on an asset matters.  Free and clear or grossly leveraged.  It matters.

If you want to argue otherwise, please feel free to attempt that argument.

53 minutes ago, Lou said:

Wrong 

Sorry Lou, but they are not ranking financial health or ability to absorb more salary.

The ranking is what they think the team would sell for.

The amount of debt matters a ton in ranking financial health.

I would love to see a balance sheet but we don't get to see that.  However is has been communicated many times that the Angels do not carry debt on the team.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Sorry Lou, but they are not ranking financial health or ability to absorb more salary.

The ranking is what they think the team would sell for.

The amount of debt matters a ton in ranking financial health.

I would love to see a balance sheet but we don't get to see that.  However is has been communicated many times that the Angels do not carry debt on the team.

the dodgers were valued at $1.4 billion. they sold for $2 billion.

not even close. 

you are completely wrong in stating the valuation is a reflection of what the team would sell for. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You have asked this snarky question a few times.

The debt information is not insider info.  The Angeks have no debt and tons of other teams have lots of debt.

If you don't like this very relevant piece of information, that's up to you.

But what is funny is you don't mind making conclusive comments that probably SHOULD be considering what you want to ignore.

The amount of debt you have on an asset matters.  Free and clear or grossly leveraged.  It matters.

If you want to argue otherwise, please feel free to attempt that argument.

you didn't answer his question 

17 minutes ago, Lou said:

the dodgers were valued at $1.4 billion. they sold for $2 billion.

not even close. 

you are completely wrong in stating the valuation is a reflection of what the team would sell for. 

You are mixing points.  That actually IS what the number is SUPPOSED TO represent.

But you are also completely correct that they often grossly underestimate what somebody will pay in the real world.

And what do these buyers in the real world see that Forbes doesn't see and you and I dont see?

The actual finacials.

I said already the Angels would sell for more if they were actually for sale.

Edited by Dtwncbad

18 minutes ago, Lou said:

you didn't answer his question 

OK I will attempt to give you the kind of answer I think you want.

I have never claimed to know the Angel's financials "well" as that would be stupid and reckless because nobody other than the current owners (and qualified serious buyers reviewing them) know the financials well.  They are private.

I don't know them well.  You don't.  Jeff Fletcher doesn't.

So the question is baseless other than its value as snark.

Independent of that, I apologize if, in normal conversations on the subject, I have an interest in paying attention to some relevant things that are commonly "known" and accepted as fact (like considering debt's role and impact) and also prefer to apply some real world basic financial concepts where they are relevant.

I get sucked into this subject every time.  It is very hard for me to read through conversations about stuff like this and not get involved.

I suppose it would be like a conversation about concessions at the ballpark buying beef for hamburgers, storing and cooking it, pricing it, selling it, managing labor and so on. . .and have Stradling not get himself sucked into what might seem obvious to him to interject as relevant.

Sorry.  I work in finance, do financial analysis, and value businesses and their ability to take on and service debt.

I think my feedback has value but it always get met with resistance or friction.

Whatever. It's all good.

@Dtwncbad I have one point and that’s all I’ve ever had and then I’m not going to engage on this with you any more...

Every owner of any business has a right to spend what he wants to spend in order to make what he or she considers a fair profit. The only way to judge what’s “fair” or “not fair” is really to compare businesses in the same industry. 

Based on the information I have, it seems like the Angels expenses are in line with other baseball teams with similar revenues, market sizes, values, etc.

If you disagree, that’s ok.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

@Dtwncbad I have one point and that’s all I’ve ever had and then I’m not going to engage on this with you any more...

Every owner of any business has a right to spend what he wants to spend in order to make what he or she considers a fair profit. The only way to judge what’s “fair” or “not fair” is really to compare businesses in the same industry. 

Based on the information I have, it seems like the Angels expenses are in line with other baseball teams with similar revenues, market sizes, values, etc.

If you disagree, that’s ok.

2033228A-7EDD-4ED0-A094-C55A6E5C894D.jpeg

6 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I get sucked into this subject every time.  It is very hard for me to read through conversations about stuff like this and not get involved.

I suppose it would be like a conversation about concessions at the ballpark buying beef for hamburgers, storing and cooking it, pricing it, selling it, managing labor and so on. . .and have Stradling not get himself sucked into what might seem obvious to him to interject as relevant.

Sorry.  I work in finance, do financial analysis, and value businesses and their ability to take on and service debt.

I think my feedback has value but it always get met with resistance or friction.

Whatever. It's all good.

For the record, Stradling never uses frozen meat or fries. 

You’re welcome.