• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I just looked up Adell's numbers in AA.

Spoilers: They're Trout-esque.

I had that same thought literally 2 minutes ago. 

He's not being challenged. I suppose there is some value to keep crushing AA pitching, and I would give him another couple weeks to see if he can keep it up, but at some point the Angels are going to have to find a way to make room for him in the lineup.

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Time for Marsh to get going as well. He's 3-4 tonight with 2 doubles, a homer and 3 RBI's.

Looks like he has a real slappy, soft swing. Might explain the lack of power. But he is really having a fantastic season.

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

Looks like he has a real slappy, soft swing. Might explain the lack of power. But he is really having a fantastic season.

it's definitely a bit slappy for a guy his size.  But just to give you an idea of how park factors impact players, he's got a wRC+ above 130 (it was that before tonight).  Which likely puts him in the top 15 for the league with about 10 of the guys ahead of him about 2-3 years older.  At first glance his lack of power this year is a bit disappointing but he really is have a very good season.  Most of the other guys with similar performance for age/level are well into the top 100 and even the top 50 like Taylor Trammell, and Alex Kiriloff.  Plus, Marsh is an excellent defender who could easily be a CFer for the rest of his career but he could really thrive at a corner like Betts and Heyward.  He might be 24/25 before we start to see any legit in game power but he'll have value even before that starts to happen.  

8 minutes ago, RBM said:

So, checking the BayBears box score tonight I noticed two things:

1. Brandon Marsh is now above .300. He went 3 for 4 with a HR and 3 RBI's.

2. Jahmai Jones is now below .200. He went 0 for 3 with a K and is now batting .198.

I don't know enough to know if Jones is just struggling through a AA season at 21 and will eventually get comfortable or if he is going to be a flameout. I hope it's the former because everything I've read about him tells me he is a great kid. Jones and Marsh knew each other coming up in the GA youth baseball circuit. 

Does anyone in the know have any info on what Jones is working on or going through?

that's the million dollar question with Jones.   Sometimes guys hit AA and flame out.  But my opinion after watching him a bunch this year is that he's in his own head.  He actually doesn't look like he's enjoying the game right now at all.  His defensive progression has stalled out at 2b for sure.  He's not making hard contact and he's missing pitches he knows he's tagged in the past.  I've seen it dozens of times this year.  The other day he whiffed on a hanging slider and just slammed the bat and his helmet down in frustration.  He's much better than he's been for sure and my guess is that he'll turn things around and fix things.  It could be at age 25 or 26 but it might be never.  He's kinda broken right now but there is still hope for him for sure.  

6 minutes ago, RBM said:

He feels like a Darin Erstad, or maybe better, comp to me - which would be great for us. 

Darin Erstad was a damn good ball player.  If Marsh has a peak of 8 years where he averages almost 3.5 - 4 WAR per year then we should be absolutely stoked.  It's actually not very likely he does that.  

The top 600th highest career WAR is 27.8 fWAR.  That's the top 3% all time of any position player that's ever had a major league at bat.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Darin Erstad was a damn good ball player.  If Marsh has a peak of 8 years where he averages almost 3.5 - 4 WAR per year then we should be absolutely stoked.  It's actually not very likely he does that.  

The top 600th highest career WAR is 27.8 fWAR.  That's the top 3% all time of any position player that's ever had a major league at bat.  

What's nuts is that Trout passed that when he was 23 Facking years old.

Two more homers for Rojas so far tonight, up to 21. 

Ward hit one as well - #22.

For some fun perspective, in 2017, not even two years ago, the Angels minor league HR leader was Jeyson Sanchez with 15.

Edited by totdprods

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Two more homers for Rojas so far tonight, up to 21. 

Ward hit one as well - #22.

For some fun perspective, in 2017, not even two years ago, the Angels minor league HR leader was Jeyson Sanchez with 15.

4-4 with 2 doubles and 2hrs in 7 innings due to a double header.  Time to give the guy a shot.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

4-4 with 2 doubles and 2hrs in 7 innings due to a double header.  Time to give the guy a shot.  

Regardless of all the buy sell talk, should we shouldn’t we with Calhoun...

...the Angels have plenty of redundancy between Ward, Thaiss, Rojas, Walsh, Rengifo, and Fletcher - especially with La Stella, Cozart, Simmons, and Pujols all under contract still next year already. 

They have a ton of intriguing low-level pitching, and plenty of OF prospects. 

They should be able to add *something* useful with a trio or so of spare farm parts - Rojas, Rivas, Pina - and get an arm to at least shore things up a little bit.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Regardless of all the buy sell talk, should we shouldn’t we with Calhoun...

...the Angels have plenty of redundancy between Ward, Thaiss, Rojas, Walsh, Rengifo, and Fletcher - especially with La Stella, Cozart, Simmons, and Pujols all under contract still next year already. 

They have a ton of intriguing low-level pitching, and plenty of OF prospects. 

They should be able to add *something* useful with a trio or so of spare farm parts - Rojas, Rivas, Pina - and get an arm to at least shore things up a little bit.

Fletcher is becoming not redundant, due to his ability to play 5 positions (infield and outfield) well.