• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Jo Adell just keeps getting more impressive. He had power when he was drafted, but it was power like any other strong high schooler had power, which is the pull variety.

Last year, I got all sorts of giddy, because he'd sting 110 mph line drives over the second baseman's head. I thought that read the coolest thing to see from an 18-19 year old. I hadn't seen that in this organization since Trout.

And now we see him one year later in the hardest environment he'll see in this farm system, and those line drive singles and doubles to the opposite field have grown into 375 foot homers. And again, you have to remind yourself that he's doing that at age 20. 

Ask yourself for a moment what he will be doing when he's 25. If you think he has elite bat speed now, just wait. 

There won't be a good comp for him.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Sandy Charle, RHP, Dominican Republic.  

9 total on the day so far.  

3 more DR pitchers.  complete list:

Los Angeles Angels

Arol Vera, ss, Venezuela (video)
Adrian Placencia, ss, Dominican Republic 
Jose Bonilla, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
Adrian Pena, rhp, Venezuela
Leonar Garcia, lhp, Venezuela
Jeremy Villahermosa, c, Venezuela
Gabriel Rodriguez, c, Venezuela
Alejandro Hidalgo, rhp, Venezuela
Sandy Charle, rhp, Dominican Republic
Julio Torres, lhp, Dominican Republic
Cristofer Tejada, rhp, Dominican Republic
Anderson Vargas, lhp, Dominican Republic

19 hours ago, Second Base said:

Jo Adell just keeps getting more impressive. He had power when he was drafted, but it was power like any other strong high schooler had power, which is the pull variety.

Last year, I got all sorts of giddy, because he'd sting 110 mph line drives over the second baseman's head. I thought that read the coolest thing to see from an 18-19 year old. I hadn't seen that in this organization since Trout.

And now we see him one year later in the hardest environment he'll see in this farm system, and those line drive singles and doubles to the opposite field have grown into 375 foot homers. And again, you have to remind yourself that he's doing that at age 20. 

Ask yourself for a moment what he will be doing when he's 25. If you think he has elite bat speed now, just wait. 

There won't be a good comp for him.

How about Hank Aaron? The reason I think of Aaron is that he was a lanky guy with line-drive power which, because he had such tremendous bat speed, ended up being 40+ HR power. 

In his prime I could see Adell hitting .290/.350/.600 with 40+ HR and 20 SB, which looks like a Hank Aaron season.

Of course I'm not predicting he'll have Aaron's career, because Aaron's greatness was less about his upside--which was substantial, but not as great as contemporaries Mays and Mantle, more a half step down with Frank Robinson--and more about his consistency and longevity. Aaron's highest five-year HR span was age 35-39...the only player that I can think of that also did that was Barry Bonds, and there were obviously "extenuating circumstances." But my comparison is on skill-set and the basic type of player. Adell won't be a batting champion like Aaron, but he should be able to hit .300 in some seasons, probably more typically in the .280-.290+ range. I suspect he'll develop into a 60-70ish walk type, like Aaron, steal a few bases (15-20ish) like Aaron, and moreso have line-drive HR power that will yield lots of 70+ extra-base hit seasons, and at least a few 40+ HR seasons.

Will Wilson has been looking better. 

Bunch of guys I knew in college were good enough to play for the cape cod league.  They always talked about how it would take 50-60 PA to adjust from metal to wood bats.  When you finally started to get more comfortable, the season would be over and you'd head back to college.  

You can see that happening with Wilson now.  I think he's starting to get comfortable.