• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Trout was already extended to a 10 year deal. . .

Dtwncbad

Just now, Dochalo said:

They're offering Tulo at least half a season's worth of SS.  Gregorius is out till mid year plus rehab.  

Exactly.  Still have Andujar at 3B plus Torres at 2B... where are they planning to play Manny?
If its not moving on its the mother of all bluffs. 

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

Last time i checked you can only play one at a time, they just signed Tulo.    
I find it hard to believe he signed to be a reserve and a plan B.    Who knows 

you really think signing Tulo for $550k is going to stop them from pursuing Manny? That's crazy.

Tulo IS Plan B.  Plan A is Manny. 

Obviously Trout knows the direction the Angels are going and they are about one year away from making a strong push for the playoffs..... consistently 

Take 2020 for example. If Cozart is traded and Calhoun's option isn't picked up then you've already saved around $26M. I assume Pujols will walk away after 2020 but if not then that could be $56M for 2020. Likely 2021...

This is something that will happen very soon. Our prospects are almost ready to go and we will have payroll flexibility soon. Trout knows that and plus he isn't an ego player so knowing we have a long-term plan for success should seem very attractive to him. 

It is a great deal for both the Yankees and Tulo. No risk for the Yankees, plus they get to trade either him or Gregorius when Didi comes back, or just have a deep infield. For Tulo he gets his Toronto money plus gets to play in the House That Ruth Built.

And I don't think it will make the Yankees think twice about signing Machado if that is what they want to do. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

It is a great deal for both the Yankees and Tulo. No risk for the Yankees, plus they get to trade either him or Gregorius when Didi comes back, or just have a deep infield. For Tulo he gets his Toronto money plus gets to play in the House That Ruth Built.

And I don't think it will make the Yankees think twice about signing Machado if that is what they want to do. 

Except this is across the street from the house that Ruth built, it's the house that Jeter built.

One of the things that Scioscia said during that philly.com interview was that Trout was going to look at the direction the Angels are heading before deciding whether or not to sign an extension. 

I think this confirms that a small part of Trout's decision to sign an extension will be the amount of young talent surrounding him and the Angel's willingness to spend to surround him with talent. Ultimately, Mike Trout wants to win. If the Angel's can show him they'll win for the foreseeable future, he will sign an extension. If not, then I gotta believe he's headed to Philadelphia. 

And maybe that's even a small reason as to why Eppler has stuck with one year deals. Because it gives him a chance to infuse young talent into the lineup, doesn't financially hamstring the team, serves as a tryout for a future deal, and opens up the possibility for a qualifying offer if Harvey returns to form. Shot, it could even result in Cahill becoming that shutdown reliever in the 9th inning that fans have wanted.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

If Trout's contract was extended another 10 years you would have dumbshits posting that in 2029 he would be playing for Philly and we should trade him now while we can get a good haul for him. 

You better hope that Trout doesn't get a player opt out in year 3 or we'll continue to see the incessant postings of silliness continue.

3 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Obviously Trout knows the direction the Angels are going and they are about one year away from making a strong push for the playoffs..... consistently 

Take 2020 for example. If Cozart is traded and Calhoun's option isn't picked up then you've already saved around $26M. I assume Pujols will walk away after 2020 but if not then that could be $56M for 2020. Likely 2021...

This is something that will happen very soon. Our prospects are almost ready to go and we will have payroll flexibility soon. Trout knows that and plus he isn't an ego player so knowing we have a long-term plan for success should seem very attractive to him. 

Why are you so quick to give up on Cozart the dude hasn’t even played half a season with the Angels yet ??

24 minutes ago, Second Base said:

One of the things that Scioscia said during that philly.com interview was that Trout was going to look at the direction the Angels are heading before deciding whether or not to sign an extension. 

I think this confirms that a small part of Trout's decision to sign an extension will be the amount of young talent surrounding him and the Angel's willingness to spend to surround him with talent. Ultimately, Mike Trout wants to win. If the Angel's can show him they'll win for the foreseeable future, he will sign an extension. If not, then I gotta believe he's headed to Philadelphia. 

Yeah, and I don't think it's a bad idea on his end to wait another season before worrying about an extension. Much as I'd love to see it get done before Spring Training, Trout holding off a year so 2020 and beyond look clearer wouldn't spell doom by any means. As for Philly specifically, eh, much as I imagine he'd like to be near home, you're still on the road for half the season, most home games don't finish until well after 10:00 pm, Southern California's a beautiful place to play and live (if you have money)...He seems to have that Gwynn-Jeter-Musial vibe of wanting to be the sort of player who gets cheered in every ballpark after a certain point in their career as opposed to carrying the more mercenary vibes of Harper or A-Rod. Just my perception, could be BS.

Trout will likely sign a 10 year extension. 

There is no way for any team to guarantee they're going to produce a winner for 10 years.  

So pick a place that seems conducive to your style that has a strong future and the financial resources to support a winning environment.  

After what Eppler has done the last three years on top of the fact that Arte has shown a willingness to spend, what else can you present?  

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Which is one of (not THE, but one of) the reasons why he signed with the Yankees. He grew up idolizing Jeter and wears his #2.

And Jeter also advised him to stick with one team his whole career if he could do so.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Trout will likely sign a 10 year extension. 

There is no way for any team to guarantee they're going to produce a winner for 10 years.  

So pick a place that seems conducive to your style that has a strong future and the financial resources to support a winning environment.  

After what Eppler has done the last three years on top of the fact that Arte has shown a willingness to spend, what else can you present?  

A detailed presentation on the advantages of playing baseball in 80 degree sunny days with low humidity versus playing in 45 degrees for two months of the season and 90 and high humidity for the other four months. 

At least that would do it for me. 

12 hours ago, CDiaz27? said:

Why are you so quick to give up on Cozart the dude hasn’t even played half a season with the Angels yet ??

I’m not at all quick to give him up. Given the fact he has two years left on his contract and that we have a load of infield prospect about to push their way up leaves Cozart moveable. 

In fact, Cozart, Calhoun, Harvey, Cahill, Lucroy, and Bour are moveable pieces. Yes, I understand that most of them are on one year contracts, but I say this because if you look at the prospects knocking on the door (Thaiss, Canning, Suarez, Ward, Rengifo, Jones), it absolutely makes sense.

If Cozart has a good season then his value rises and he could be delt to a contender. By that time you’ll have Ward, Rengifo, Fletcher competing for two spots for a few months and then you can take a run at Arenado to play 3B....

If Trout were signed to an extension, I'd punt on 2019 and position this team to compete in 2020. I'd look at how the team could afford a guy like Arenado and a pitcher like Gerrit Cole after this year.  I'd keep every prospect and hope that beginning in 2020, guys like Adell, Rengifo, Thaiss, Canning and Suarez could offset the big dollars going to Trout, Arenado, Upton, Pujols, Simmons and Cole (or other such pitcher).

I'd also try hard to sign Heaney and Simmons to extensions.

20 minutes ago, wopphil said:

If Trout were signed to an extension, I'd punt on 2019 and position this team to compete in 2020. I'd look at how the team could afford a guy like Arenado and a pitcher like Gerrit Cole after this year.  I'd keep every prospect and hope that beginning in 2020, guys like Adell, Rengifo, Thaiss, Canning and Suarez could offset the big dollars going to Trout, Arenado, Upton, Pujols, Simmons and Cole (or other such pitcher).

I'd also try hard to sign Heaney and Simmons to extensions.

i think many would be surprised i would say this but i would probably agree with this. 
The downside of that patience plan if his extension isnt pre-determined as many think it is is frightening.