• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tulo only costs 555k

Hubs

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The way I look at Tulo is he doesn't move the team forward to the goal of filling spots with cost controlled minor league talent. He shuts out the development at the major leagues Fletcher, Ward and Rengifo pushing then back another year making 2020 a learning curve. The Angels may win a few more games or not but they won't have made the move forward, it's lateral. 

And that's the issue Billy has to contend with -- trying to win while simultaneously having his cost controlled talent get to that next level.   This is where that comment about DNA likely rears it's head...    FWIW, I don't disagree with what you're saying, I just think it's a situation where they are trying to juggle two things at once.

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Time to quit juggling. It never leaves your hands free to do anything useful. 

Yeah, I don't know that it isn't a mistake to keep from committing to a guy like Ward and let him either play himself out of MLB or prove he's ready.  From what I've heard he's been hitting the cages and working with people pretty hard all off-season.

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, I don't know that it isn't a mistake to keep from committing to a guy like Ward and let him either play himself out of MLB or prove he's ready.  From what I've heard he's been hitting the cages and working with people pretty hard all off-season.

He'll get his chance. This is the Angels. There will be no shortage of injuries or random flukiness underperforming from someone. Year in and year out, we see lack of depth kill us, and we wind up with minor league FAs/waiver claims starting for us. Just once, I'd like to see the Angels have MLB talent starting, MLB talent on the bench, and MLB talent in AAA to start the year. Too often we have two injuries at a position and we wind up with Brendan Harris or Ian Stewart or Nick Franklin or Rafael Ortega in the line-up. I'd like to see David Fletcher replace Cowart as the first guy up for MIF, and Ward as the first guy up instead of Marte for 2019. Better yet, add another SP, and have Barria, Trop, and Pena be one of the first SPs up, instead of the next Odrisamer Despaigne, Daniel Wright, or John Lamb. We can afford to take risks on cheap vets like Tulo in the meantime.

I'd like to see him start the year in AAA and get a few reps at least one other position - 1B, 2B, LF...something to give him a little more versatility. It would not have made sense to have him learn two new positions last year, but he can toy with it better now. I don't want to another position player on the team that's limited to one position with Pujols, Ohtani, and Bour already under those constraints. 

Plus...Fletcher, Ward, Rengifo...if they start in AAA for a couple months, it's another year of control. Not that I think it's a big concern to the Angels, but it isn't a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There is the point. Either these guys will take the job from today forward or the Angels gave to get a long term solution. It's not like they are too young to be starting their careers but another year in Salt Lake where their bat lies to them every hit isn't going to help. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He'll get his chance. This is the Angels. There will be no shortage of injuries or random flukiness underperforming from someone. 

I'd like to see him start the year in AAA and get a few reps at least one other position - 1B, 2B, LF...something to give him a little more versatility. It would not have made sense to have him learn two new positions last year, but he can toy with it better now. I don't want to another position player on the team that's limited to one position with Pujols, Ohtani, and Bour already under those constraints. 

Plus...Fletcher, Ward, Rengifo...if they start in AAA for a couple months, it's another year of control. Not that I think it's a big concern to the Angels, but it isn't a bad thing.

Ward can be the backup catcher, he has that skill set. He doesn't need to learn another position he won't be good at this late in development, he's not that kind of player. 

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Ward can be the backup catcher, he has that skill set. He doesn't need to learn another position he won't be good at this late in development, he's not that kind of player. 

I can’t see them treating him as anything more than a 3rd string emergency catcher, at least for 2019. 

A couple reps at 1B or LF as a last-resort wouldn’t hurt him too much. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If Chili Davis could be the Angels emergency catcher when he was here then Ward can definitely back up the position.   Remember those days?  Remember Chili in LF?   I always wanted to see something awful happen just to watch Chili Davis try to catch.  I like good baseball, but anytime you can mix baseball with solid comedy it's a win.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I can’t see them treating him as anything more than a 3rd string emergency catcher, at least for 2019. 

A couple reps at 1B or LF as a last-resort wouldn’t hurt him too much. 

I like the 3rd string emergency C thing, and eventually I think he could be the backup C. Lets just hope his bat gets better.

Is Moose actually an option?

I do think we need to bring in a third baseman.  I'm not convinced Ward is MLB ready just yet, and I'd prefer Cozart at second.  I hope it's Moose because that dude is basically good for about 30 bombs, but I'm warming up to Tulo.  Mainly because the money saved from Moose to Tulo could be used elsewhere to improve the team.

Jeff PassanVerified account @JeffPassan Dec 18

Jeff Passan Retweeted Tim Brown

What @TBrownYahoo saw from Troy Tulowitzki today dovetails with what a number in attendance told me: He looks fit, he’s moving very well and if he’s anything like he was today, he’s going to be able to help a contender. And for the minimum salary at that.

Jeff Passan added,

Tim BrownVerified account @TBrownYahoo
The guy I saw today is healthy and ready to play... https://tinyurl.com/y94le6zp 
35 replies 44 retweets 143 likes

On 12/21/2018 at 1:53 PM, Halodays said:

Jeff PassanVerified account @JeffPassan Dec 18

Jeff Passan Retweeted Tim Brown

What @TBrownYahoo saw from Troy Tulowitzki today dovetails with what a number in attendance told me: He looks fit, he’s moving very well and if he’s anything like he was today, he’s going to be able to help a contender. And for the minimum salary at that.

Jeff Passan added,

Tim BrownVerified account @TBrownYahoo
The guy I saw today is healthy and ready to play... https://tinyurl.com/y94le6zp 
35 replies 44 retweets 143 likes

Then why would the Blue Jays release him? Something is amiss.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, Torridd said:

Why are we suddenly acting like the Tampa Bay Rays? I'm discouraged by all this bargain basement shopping. This team is not a goodwill organization.

Since we have three years left of Pujols averaging nearly $30M per season and hopefully a Mike Trout extension yet to come, we can hardly shop at the high end at this point.