• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do GM's have too much power now?

T.G.

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Maybe to some extent but you won't need a computer to tell you to let Ohtani hit over Pujols or don't PH for Trout. Some decisions are too obvious, such as walking Trout with 1B open and game on the line with RISP. Which is why we need a great hitter right behind Trout in the line up.

I wish they would make a shifts illegal (to some extent), and get baseball back to the way it was when I was growing up.

Agreed to the general thought but what if the computer tells you that Justin Verlander has struck out Ohtani every time they have appeared against one another (let us assume the sample size here is sufficient) but that Pujols has multiple hits over several at-bat's against him? One player is seeing Verlander's stuff a lot better than another for instance?

In principle I don't disagree with what you said I am just pointing out that the data could potentially point to a more probable outcome that may not be easily visible by the coaches, players, and manager on the field.

One of the first applications of data mining discovered that male shoppers at the market who bought baby diapers also bought a consistently large quantity of beer. At first thought you'd think oh that's weird but the data showed the correlation. Babies tend to drive one to drink isn't that wild a notion. Again data properly parsed and conditioned with good correlation tells you things you should consider and listen to in the decision process. It is not perfect but it can be valuable.

21 hours ago, ettin said:

One of the first applications of data mining discovered that male shoppers at the market who bought baby diapers also bought a consistently large quantity of beer. At first thought you'd think oh that's weird but the data showed the correlation. Babies tend to drive one to drink isn't that wild a notion. 

When i drink a lot, I always spend the next day with the sh*ts. Maybe these guys dont have time to stop at gas stations and home depots like I do?