• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next year's bullpen

tdawg87

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If next year's bullpen is going to be great, they're going to need to bring in about 6 new guys besides Alvarez, Anderson, Parker and Buttrey.

This bullpen SUCK ASS. 

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If next year's bullpen is going to be great, they're going to need to bring in about 6 new guys besides Alvarez, Anderson, Parker and Buttrey.

This bullpen SUCK ASS. 

Taylor Cole. Robles has also been solid.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This bullpen SUCK ASS. 

I have been a fan since the team became a team. For the most part , the team has been done in most of the pre- World Series seasons by the bullpen. Several of those teams bullpens were called the arson squad. It seems the past couple years the bullpen is doing a retro-arson squad thing. But the thing that bothers me is that the starting pitching is so bad. You  could probably count with your fingers how many starters have pitched past the 6th inning. We feel good if a starter can get thru the 5th inning, so he has a chance for a 'W". Even as far back as '62 it seemed like our starters were better than this group. What i would give to have clones of  Dean Chance, Ken McBride, Fred Newman, Ted Bowsfield on this staff. And others that i can't remember without looking them up. They were on really crappy teams, but they were the foundation of the teams. They kept the team in the game , before the pen would come in. The stats will probably tell me  i am wrong, but it just feels that way from the naked eye. This starting staff just seems  like a A+ staff, compared to the staff of what was a new franchise, that had only a few months to scramble to get players to fill out a roster.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Since 2000,  80 percent of all teams have had fewer than 4 starters pitch 162 innings. 

Thank you, then the question begs to be asked.    How do the Verlanders manage to pitch so many innings year after year today, when the great majority can't even get to 162 innings without being injured?   Seems suspicious about Verlander, at his age and throwing as hard as he does? 

And isn't MLB in crises mode, because of the lack of pitchers staying healthy?

38 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Thank you, then the question begs to be asked.    How do the Verlanders manage to pitch so many innings year after year today, when the great majority can't even get to 162 innings without being injured?   Seems suspicious about Verlander, at his age and throwing as hard as he does? 

And isn't MLB in crises mode, because of the lack of pitchers staying healthy?

There aren’t many Verlanders. He’s the exception, which is why he’s going to the HOF. 

And yes, it’s a big problem. If you can figure out the answer, you’ll make a lot of money. 

Maybe guys should go back to more of a true windup, rather than this modified stretch position that so many use. As I recall, a lot of the real hard throwers that never had much arm trouble really put their entire bodies into it. Not just all arm. A true windup lets you do that. Clemens, Ryan, Gibson, Drysdale, Seaver. Verlander is somewhat like that, too, but he doesnt bring his hands behind his head. But he really rocks his whole body into it. So does Bartolo. A lot of these guys were also very over-the-top throwers. So many guys are now 3/4 or slinging with their bodies somewhat sideways to the hitter. 

The exceptions were guys like Randy Johnson, but he was an unusual physical specimen. Maddox was never a very hard thrower, neither was Sutton, though they are way up there in career IP. They were some of the best junk pitchers, along with Niekro and Gaylord Perry. I dont recall them being injured much.

How do you think Greg Maddox would do in his prime, against today's hitters? Can a junk thrower succeed today with a fast ball that is no more than 88-90?

9 minutes ago, Lou said:

the year after his long scoreless inning streak, Drysdale suffered a torn rotator cuff midway through the season and retired.

After 12 straight seasons of 200+ innings. Four of them over 300. I'd say he was doing something right, for much longer than today's pitchers. 

Guys today go under the knife in fewer innings than he pitched in one season. 

Ok, maybe he wasnt the best example of my choices. But he's still a valid example, IMO. He was a hard thrower.