• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next year's bullpen

tdawg87

I'm actually kind of excited about it. Or, at least the prospect of it.

Here's what we know:

Blake Parker, Ty Buttrey, Justin Anderson, Jose Alvarez, Hansel Robles, Noe Ramirez, Cam Bedrosian, Taylor Cole and Williams Jerez will all be returning next year, barring some package put together for a trade. Pretty much all of those guys have a fair bit of upside, at the very least. All have seen success this year, outside of Jerez but his potential isn't lost on Eppler. Noe has been meh but his peripherals are quite good. Bedrosian is disappointing but he's still a valuable reliever.

So that's 9 pitchers who are all under club control past 2019 vying for maybe 7 bullpen spots. 

But wait! There's also Pena, who may be better suited for a long man/emergency starter role than anything else, and Shoemaker who simply might not have a spot in the rotation. Throw in names like Tropeano, Despaigne and Almonte and we're potentially 14 pitchers deep for the bullpen. More if Eppler adds anything this off-season or decides to start Canning or Suarez in the pen.

I'm going to go bold and say we have a good, lockdown pen in 2019. At worst, we've got a lot of shit to throw at the wall.

I'd love to see Eppler bring in a legit closer but I don't think that's his MO. Maybe if we're in the race at the deadline and he sees a trade worth pursuing, but no free agents. 

Still, it's amazing how solid the pen has been overall considering. Eppler seems to know what he is doing so I'll trust the process.

Well, based upon what I've seen in the second half of the season, i think this team as it is right now would win 85 games.

They've scored 661 runs and given up 614, which equates with a Pythagorean Record of 84-78 over a full season. Tweak a bit here and there, get a better hitting catcher, phase Pujols out, etc, and we can hope for 88-92 wins.

40 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Here's what we know:

Blake Parker, Ty Buttrey, Justin Anderson, Jose Alvarez, Hansel Robles, Noe Ramirez, Cam Bedrosian, Taylor Cole and Williams Jerez will all be returning next year, barring some package put together for a trade. Pretty much all of those guys have a fair bit of upside, at the very least. All have seen success this year, outside of Jerez but his potential isn't lost on Eppler. Noe has been meh but his peripherals are quite good. Bedrosian is disappointing but he's still a valuable reliever.

So that's 9 pitchers who are all under club control past 2019 vying for maybe 7 bullpen spots. 

But wait! There's also Pena, who may be better suited for a long man/emergency starter role than anything else, and Shoemaker who simply might not have a spot in the rotation. Throw in names like Tropeano, Despaigne and Almonte and we're potentially 14 pitchers deep for the bullpen. More if Eppler adds anything this off-season or decides to start Canning or Suarez in the pen.

I'm going to go bold and say we have a good, lockdown pen in 2019. At worst, we've got a lot of shit to throw at the wall.

I'd love to see Eppler bring in a legit closer but I don't think that's his MO. Maybe if we're in the race at the deadline and he sees a trade worth pursuing, but no free agents. 

Still, it's amazing how solid the pen has been overall considering. Eppler seems to know what he is doing so I'll trust the process.

How many pitchers are out of options and have to be on the roster?  I am asking because Meyers and Ramirez may not have a spot in the rotation.  Do we release one or both of those two for Noe and or Cam?

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Here's what we know:

I wish I shared your optimism.  

I like Anderson and Buttrey. 
Alvarez is ok but could be having a career year.
Robles could end up being useful.  Same with Taylor Cole.  
Parker has been ok.  11hrs in 62ip is scary.  He's not going to get better.  Our window to move him for something of value is closing/closed. 
Jerez is going to frustrate the crap out of people.  Good stuff.  can't find the plate. 
Noe and Cam are pretty bad and can't be relied upon.  

Moving Pena into an extended role seems like a strong option.  But he's been very good as a starter since making the conversion.  The one blip being that 0.1 ip 7 er appearance.  Otherwise his era is around 2.7 as a starter.  That probably warrants a look for the rotation next year.  

But the pen is just so uncertain.  Too much volatility for me to be overly excited.  It's probably only missing that one guy.  

Familia could be that one guy.

No trade necessary, no draft pick or int’l money lost, very stingy with HRs, extensive closing experience, and still only late 20s

At some point, Eppler is going to have to roll the dice on a FA pitcher, and Familia checks many boxes off.

One big difference...
Going into 2018, a lot of our bullpen was unsettled and relied on guys who didn't have options...Parker, Bedrosian, Wood, Alvarez was a bit questionable, J.C. and Noe Ramirez were out of options...if Eppler had signed relievers, we were losing those guys in a number crunch, and in hindsight, it was wise to not DFA those guys to make room for expensive relievers. Pretty much all of whom failed this year. Additionally, the AAA/optionable crew was just as questionable...we didn't know what to expect with Jewell, Pena, Paredes, or even really Middleton.

The 2019 pen is a little clearer, due in large part to the successes of Anderson, Cole, Buttrey, and yes, even Jerez. 
The Angels should have a stock of relievers who they can actually move back and forth between AAA/MLB next year with those names above, and Parker, Bedrosian, and Alvarez at least pitched well enough to 'count on' them for the '19 Opening Day pen. Robles too. 

I'd like to see a couple Bud Norris/Yusmeiro Petit minor-league deals offered to vet RPs this winter and, should they do well in ST, break camp with the team (cheaply) and then be replaced by the Buttrey/Jewell/Cole/Jerez types as needed.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

What would it take to get Edwin Diaz from Seattle ... Tropeano/Shoemaker?

Dipito would want his job back after he's ran out of Seattle at the end of the season. flip Diaz to us and head out of town! yes, I know dip got that extension, but that team is falling faster than a 90 year olds boobs!

8 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

Seems like the same thread was written last season. The pen sucked for the first half, and then rounded into form after they contributed greatly to putting us out of the race.  

I think it was the other way around last year. The pen was great from the start, and then Norris started blowing key games - only a couple, but at the worst possible time - and Bedrosian kept getting injured. They got overworked as the rotation fell to pieces.

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think it was the other way around last year. The pen was great from the start, and then Norris started blowing key games - only a couple, but at the worst possible time - and Bedrosian kept getting injured. They got overworked as the rotation fell to pieces.

These mediocre seasons are making me feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. 

13 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Kill yourself.

My feeling with the bullpen personnel is that the Angels are going to see a Kirby Yates scenario emerge again, where they're going to lose a reliever, and he's going to go on to wild success somewhere else.  Darren O'Day too.

Alex Meyer - He's out of options and there likely won't be room in the rotation.  Throws upper 90's with one of the better breaking balls in the major leagues.  If the Angels don't get him into the mix, they'll lose out on what I'd consider to be the next Andrew Miller. 

J.C. Ramirez - He'll probably be back mid season and he too is out of options.  Again, upper 90's velocity.  He'll shut down an inning somewhere hope it's here. 

Hansel Robles - Out of options and looks awfully good. 

Some of the guys that I think they need to get rid of....

Cam Bedrosian - Sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story.  I don't trust him.

Blake Parker - Again, the numbers don't tell the whole story.  He's shaky and it's only going to get worst.  I'd flip him. 

Taylor Cole - The numbers look great here, but he's spent most of the season in AAA where he's been absolutely wrecked.  I'll buy the larger sample size in AAA. 

Noe Ramirez - He gone. 

If it were me, the only ones that would have a guaranteed spot in next year's pen are Justin Anderson, Ty Buttrey and Jose Alvarez.  Beyond that, keep Meyer, Ramirez and Robles.  Then finish it off with one VERY good, steady bullpen arm like Daniel Robertson from New York.  Someone that solidifies the back end.  That's how I'd do it at least. 

David Robertson is an odd one to figure out.    He's 33, and has pitched a lot of relief innings and K'd a lot of batters (even in 2018, 86 in 63 innings).

Yet, he's rarely ever been on the DL, and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down like Shields did in 2009.  

His K/BBs and WHIP are still really good, and his HRs allowed has been consistent throughout the years. 

He's always pitched at least half of his games in hitting happy parks in NY and Chicago.

Is he one of those guys that can do it for another 3-4 seasons?   He is a FA after this season.   Would he cost them a 2nd round pick though?

2 hours ago, MilvilleMayor said:

Andew Miller is what this team needs

He was about as automatic as anyone not named Kimbrel could be from 2014-2017 (1.75 ERA, 0.75 WHIP, 421/67 Ks/BBs, only 19 HRs allowed in 261 innings). 

He was out earlier though for half of this season.    Is he healthy enough again?    His control has been spotty in 2018 (13 BBs in 26 innings).   FA-to-be

At the least I'd like to see the Angels sign one elite reliever, maybe two. My two choices would be Familia and Robertson. Familia is really good, better than Herrera, and will be a lot cheaper than Kimbrel. Robertson is also really good and will be more affordable.

The rest can be assembled in-house.