• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Simmons for leadoff hitter

Glen

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, The Boogie Man said:

AO, you were asked a question.  

I'm stumped.

Those clouds are getting awfully lonely though, a week later.   But my blood pressure is looking good. 

I'd try Fletcher in the leadoff spot.    He's had close to 40 at bats now, and hitting well.

19 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'd try Fletcher in the leadoff spot.    He's had close to 40 at bats now, and hitting well.

With Simmons hitting 2nd.  Substantially increases probability of RISP during Trouts first AB.  Those 18 extra ABs Trout gets at #2 vs #3 don't look so appealing when you consider his first AB every game often occurs with no one on base, especially given Scioscia's low OBP lead off hitter lineups.

I have read somewhere that he doesn’t like to bat leadoff, but that was a while back.  One thing I have noticed is he is kind of a free swinger, which is odd because he doesn’t strike out.  He sees the least amount of pitchers per at bats of any regular starter on the Angels.  I decided to take it one step further and look to see where he is ranked the the league.  Simmons sees the 2nd fewest pitches per plate appearance in all of baseball.  The only one that sees less is someone named Jose Peraza from the Reds.  I get that we think he would make a good leadoff hitter because he gets on base at a decent clip, but man, a leadoff hitter HAS to see some pitches. 

3 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

I have read somewhere that he doesn’t like to bat leadoff, but that was a while back.  One thing I have noticed is he is kind of a free swinger, which is odd because he doesn’t strike out.  He sees the least amount of pitchers per at bats of any regular starter on the Angels.  I decided to take it one step further and look to see where he is ranked the the league.  Simmons sees the 2nd fewest pitches per plate appearance in all of baseball.  The only one that sees less is someone named Jose Peraza from the Reds.  I get that we think he would make a good leadoff hitter because he gets on base at a decent clip, but man, a leadoff hitter HAS to see some pitches. 

Very true, but a 2nd place hitter who doesn't K much and has a solid OBP is a good thing.   Simba = that.