• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where is the breakout story of Spring Training?

LAAMike

Spring training is not much fun without at least one player putting up out of this world stats and forcing management to continue playing him or possibly finding a spot for him  on the opening day roster.  Calhoun, Marte and Rivera have all looked great but Connor Walsh is the only new Angel that is doing that much and he is only hitting .389.  Where is our equivalent of Kyle Jensen of the Giants that has six HR's already?  

The Angels have no breakout stories this Spring Training but they do have something to worry about, at least in the minds of a lot of Angels fans: Trout's Spring Training struggles.

But don't worry, after starting off with a poor April (under .700 OPS) by his standards, Trout will explode in the month of May, posting a .378/.491/.978 slash line in like over 100 plate appearances with almost 20 home runs in the month of May, as he deservingly wins Player of the Month for May. He'll continue to hit like he did in May, and lead the Angels to their second World Series championship win in franchise history. He'll have a legendary postseason (hitting over .400 with like 10 home runs in the postseason combine) and also win the World Series MVP and finally, will win the MVP Award for the third time in his career.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

While fun, how many of these players, both young and old, have a tremendous spring only to shit the bed once the bell rings in April?

Trout, in 2013, only had a .261/.333/.432 slash line in April but then had a sizzling May by posting a .327/.409/.664 slash line with 8 home runs in 29 games. Not sure what his numbers in Spring Training were that year, though.

27 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

The Angels have no breakout stories this Spring Training but they do have something to worry about, at least in the minds of a lot of Angels fans: Trout's Spring Training struggles.

But don't worry, after starting off with a poor April (under .700 OPS) by his standards, Trout will explode in the month of May, posting a .378/.491/.978 slash line in like over 100 plate appearances with almost 20 home runs in the month of May, as he deservingly wins Player of the Month for May. He'll continue to hit like he did in May, and lead the Angels to their second World Series championship win in franchise history. He'll have a legendary postseason (hitting over .400 with like 10 home runs in the postseason combine) and also win the World Series MVP and finally, will win the MVP Award for the third time in his career.

Claude has a bud he can watch Judge Wapner with!

Noe Ramirez has looked pretty good. So has Andrew Heaney.

David Fletcher is slick defensively and might hit enough to be a starter.  Colin Walsh is looking like he might unseat Cowart as the utility infielder. Cowart is spectacular defensively, but Walsh is hitting the ball and his career OBP speaks for itself.

Thaiss has become much more comfortable with his new stance and is putting the ball in the air. He looks like he could be ready this year.

Barria looked pretty good in his last outing. 

11 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Pujols being able to actually move without the assistance of a mobility scooter is the breakout story of Spring Training.

IDK man watching him go first to third yesterday really rocked my hopes that he was back to being able to handle it physically.  That didnt look like a guy that was back to form to me.  I hope im wrong and that he was just going easy.  

Personally, for me.

It's the at bats that I was able to watch of Chris Carter during the games last weekend. He's cut down on his swing and has started to put the ball in play a bit more from what I saw. He also wasn't bad around the bag fielding wise as he had a few chances over their. He also had a double down the line in left then shot a single out to right....lt seems like he's been working hard on his swing!

He's already a big dude! But, he had pretty good feet around the bag and made a couple plays and even called off the pitcher on some 3-U's....

Maybe, an assumption, but, I always thought him more of just a big lumbering guy that swung hard previously..... That's really not what I saw last weekend at all. I like him! I also, believe he will end up doing more for us than the hot/cold Cron! And he may even break camp!

13 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Colin Walsh is looking like he might unseat Cowart as the utility infielder.

He's my pick right now, if all 40-man roster/option ramifications weren't part of the equation. 

Angels seem comfortable with him playing SS as he's seen some spring time there - Cowart still hasn't - and he gives you a similar profile to Kaleb, just stronger offensively instead of defense. With how strong are starting defense is, I'd actually prefer a bat-first UT IF. 

Arm wise: Noe has thrown well and Barria threw very well against the Rockies! Lamb threw well also.... Even Alvarez had a quick inning and he was popping it also! Must be a little competition going on in the Bully for that lefty spot....

Most of the others I watched were hot or cold, too many pitches and either didn't get a head in the count and then came back in the end and got the hitter making longer AB's.... Or, jumped out early and then dycked around and lost them or gave up a hit late in the count. Overall too many pitches per hitter/inning....

Also, I get the excitement over Thaiss just I'm kind of tempered as he's got a couple bombs and is doing well overall. But, he's also been facing more high level A and AA+ arms out there later in the games. 

Also, Jones is going to be good. Just not a Torii Hunter type power hitter... He may end up getting there a couple seasons but the comparisons aren't close today. His game is more comparable to Shane Victorino with less SB and less extra base/gap power.

I would love to see them both in AAA facing a little better pitching on a more consistent basis. and maybe a cup of coffee....

14 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Do you just have that last paragraph copied so you can easily cut and paste it into every post you give on this board?

2 hours ago, floplag said:

IDK man watching him go first to third yesterday really rocked my hopes that he was back to being able to handle it physically.  That didnt look like a guy that was back to form to me.  I hope im wrong and that he was just going easy.  

didn't he go first to third on a double?  Or was that the day before?

5 hours ago, stormngt said:

didn't he go first to third on a double?  Or was that the day before?

I dont recall what the hit was to be honest, i just saw him rounding second and my hopes went south a little... he didnt look pain free or like he was running freely.  Maybe im making too much out of one play. 
We really should talk to Moustakis about playing super corners for a year IMO.  

51 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont recall what the hit was to be honest, i just saw him rounding second and my hopes went south a little... he didnt look pain free or like he was running freely.  Maybe im making too much out of one play. 
We really should talk to Moustakis about playing super corners for a year IMO.  

There is a part of me that is still hoping for this. Our defense would be kinda unfair at that point.