• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Upton has something to say....

54 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Did you read the article?  He was talking about his last free agency period, not the few hours he was almost a free agent this time.  

Yes he was speaking about his last free agency and it still bothers him that the phone wasn’t ringing off the hook with multi year offers for even more money. Got it. 

8 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Yes he was speaking about his last free agency and it still bothers him that the phone wasn’t ringing off the hook with multi year offers for even more money. Got it. 

So what he actually said...

No. At the end of the day, I ended up in the place that I should have been: Detroit. Detroit came in and told me how much I could help their team. OK, cool, let’s figure something out. Teams want to call and downgrade you as much as they possibly can to sign you for cheaper. That’s not what free agency is about. Free agency is about finding a team that matches you. It’s weird. I remember, when my brother was a free agent, he went and visited teams. This was before ’13, three seasons before I was a free agent. He met with teams at their stadiums. They put him on their scoreboard. They were courting players. Now, all of the sudden, you’re telling players how bad they are and how little money you’re gonna give them. It’s not right.

He was being asked to contrast FA in previous years to what's happening now -- he gave examples, both from his FA and of his brother's... who everyone would agree was a much lesser player..  His point is and always has been -- the process has changed as analytics has gained a greater following..

But, keep on not demonizing him..

15 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

If that’s what you got out of it you either didn’t read it or you’re just busy continuing another ridiculous narrative.  

Dude, it’s one thing when I call bullshit on you are your narratives, but when guys like IP, tank and Doc call you out for your agendas and narratives it might be time to admit you have a problem.  

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So what he actually said...

No. At the end of the day, I ended up in the place that I should have been: Detroit. Detroit came in and told me how much I could help their team. OK, cool, let’s figure something out. Teams want to call and downgrade you as much as they possibly can to sign you for cheaper. That’s not what free agency is about. Free agency is about finding a team that matches you. It’s weird. I remember, when my brother was a free agent, he went and visited teams. This was before ’13, three seasons before I was a free agent. He met with teams at their stadiums. They put him on their scoreboard. They were courting players. Now, all of the sudden, you’re telling players how bad they are and how little money you’re gonna give them. It’s not right.

He was being asked to contrast FA in previous years to what's happening now -- he gave examples, both from his FA and of his brother's... who everyone would agree was a much lesser player..  His point is and always has been -- the process has changed as analytics has gained a greater following..

But, keep on not demonizing him..

“analytics has gained a greater following”

OWNERS ARE TIRED OF GETTING BURNED!!!!! DEAL WITH IT!!!!!

2 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

If that’s what you got out of it you either didn’t read it or you’re just busy continuing another ridiculous narrative.  

Dude, it’s one thing when I call bullshit on you are your narratives, but when guys like IP, tank and Doc call you out for your agendas and narratives it might be time to admit you have a problem.  

Upton is not a bad person. He should’ve just simply answered the question like Trout would’ve answered. “I’m very happy and fortunate to be an Angel and I’m not interested in talking about the past. I can’t wait for the season to start. Let’s go get a ring”.

1 minute ago, OHTANILAND said:

Upton is not a bad person. He should’ve just simply answered the question like Trout would’ve answered. “I’m very happy and fortunate to be an Angel and I’m not interested in talking about the past. I can’t wait for the season to start. Let’s go get a ring”.

Because you said so. 

9 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Please share the link where Mike Trout responded to the same question asked of Upton with what you just posted.  Surely it actually happened...

19 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

I am sure players are tired of having guys make the minimum and put up 5-10 WAR seasons.  The owners are not getting burned clod, sorry.  

1 minute ago, OHTANILAND said:

We will always disagree about that issue Stradling. It’s ok that we have a difference in opinion. It’s a message board. 

Then stop making stuff up and we will be fine.  Stop trying to put the Angels and their players in the worst light possible virtually every time.  If you deny you do that you are only lying to yourself.  

21 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

This is absolutely true. 

And upton also says hes accepted that. He merely mentions that its come down to nothing but dollars. And again, he said he understands.

If you (or I) applaud the owners for doing all they can to maximize profit, you cant fault the players for doing the same...

It really seems to me that MLB would be better served by expanding the Leagues by another two teams at least. There are a bunch of fringe ballplayers out there that could find a home on an expansion club and/or rebuilding team. Baseball player quality would erode a bit but when you see a bunch of actual and former Major League players signing minimal one-year deals and/or Minor League contracts you have to think more job opportunities wouldn't water down the pool that much (and player salaries might go up simply because of the influx of new expansion team cash as a whole).

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This is absolutely true. 

And upton also says hes accepted that. He merely mentions that its come down to nothing but dollars. And again, he said he understands.

If you (or I) applaud the owners for doing all they can to maximize profit, you cant fault the players for doing the same...

I really don’t think that the owners mind paying big money for big performance. It should just be done in real time. Just because player X is under contract and plays great at age 24 to 30 doesn’t mean he deserves a guaranteed lucrative contract that pays him big money until he’s 38. There has to be some incentive based agreements implemented after a certain age at some point in the future.