• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels on the “verge” of acquiring 3B...

CanadianHalo

Feeling Cozart or Frazier.  Eppler is gonna wait it out.  We've got Luis as a backup.  Let the off season play out and see who's around when the dust settles.  He's gonna do the same with relievers.  We could safely add another 20m or so.  I'd be bummed if we didn't get a legit closer at this point considering the value Billy has gotten so far.  

or....we could add a starter.  

We've tried to go into every season with some kind of platoon:

'15 - Joyce/Cron - remember that? This was when Hamilton was still an Angel.

'16 - Nava/Gentry - LOL

'17 - Valbuena/Marte - didn't work, won't work next year.

I'm not saying get rid of Valbuena, but we can't have him starting. He needs to earn his at bats. If we run a 3 man bench:

Perez/Graterol

Valbuena Corner INF 

Hermosillo - he's on the 40 man, they protected him. I think they'll roll with him. Calhoun, Upton, Trout when they've been healthy the last 3-4 years have been playing avg. 158 games. No 4th outfielder will get that much playing time, 12 games over 6 months is 1 game every 2 weeks. If one got injured we'd probably swing a trade w/ our free cap space for a Bruce/whoever on the market. 

If we signed two of Headley, Nunez, Cozart, Frazier for 1b/3b on 1-2 year deals we would increase our flexibility and create more of a team culture. Teams like the Indians/Astros/Dodgers/Yankees have guys playing everywhere and not complaining/showing any ego. Kike/Forsythe/Taylor - Springer/Maybin/Gonzalez - Hicks/Headley/Frazier - Kipnis/Ramirez/Urshela all sacrificed for the team.

If you are a professional baseball player you should be at the service of the team, you shouldn't be able to pick your day offs, when you get to DH like Pujols.. The yanks put Ells/Holliday on the bench, Dodgers put Gonzalez/Grandal there. You have to do what's best for the team. No contending team would start even a 1 war player that isn't a catcher, let alone a negative one. Their benches also have 1+ WAR guys ready to fill in, do whatever the team needs.

2 hours ago, IheartLA said:

'15 LF was actually Joyce/Murphy/Victorino/DeJesus (the latter 3 were acquired later after Joyce failed.)  Cron didn't play LF and Joyce didn't play 1B in 2015.  And the Angels traded Hamilton to the Rangers for cash considerations in April 2015 (he didn't play any games for the Angels that year.)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/29124/year/2015

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/32155/year/2015

2 hours ago, IheartLA said:

If you are a professional baseball player you should be at the service of the team, you shouldn't be able to pick your day offs, when you get to DH like Pujols.. The yanks put Ells/Holliday on the bench, Dodgers put Gonzalez/Grandal there. You have to do what's best for the team. No contending team would start even a 1 war player that isn't a catcher, let alone a negative one. Their benches also have 1+ WAR guys ready to fill in, do whatever the team needs.

I love these kinds of statements that are thrown out there like that.

The dilemma.  Focus in and do a little research and show lots of contending teams that have imperfect lineups with one liability?

Or focus out and say, wow this is a great, revolutionary philosophy that you shpuld try to have better players if you want to win?

7 hours ago, IIIII said:

Headley is a step back from last year...wtf man. Really want Nunez, he would be a great leadoff man.

Actually, it wouldn't be. 

Angels 3B: .238/.318/.395/.713, 31 doubles, 21 homers, 73 RBI, 71 walks, 133 strikeouts, 2 stolen bases, tOPS+ of 100 (exactly league average)
C.Headley: .273/.352/.406/.758, 30 doubles, 12 homers, 61 RBI, 60 walks, 132 strikeouts, 9 stolen bases, OPS+ of 100. 

And, FWIW, Nunez's career OBP in the lead-off position is .312. Erick Aybar's career leadoff OBP is .309. 

The Angels had a .320 OBP out of lead-off last year.

Way I see it, Headley would basically be like acquiring a switch-hitting Yunel Escobar with better defense that can play 2-3 positions. Not very exciting but it wouldn't be a step back.

5 hours ago, IheartLA said:

We've tried to go into every season with some kind of platoon:

'16 - Nava/Gentry - LOL

'17 - Valbuena/Marte - didn't work, won't work next year.

I'm not saying get rid of Valbuena, but we can't have him starting. He needs to earn his at bats. If we run a 3 man bench:

Perez/Graterol

Valbuena Corner INF 

Hermosillo - he's on the 40 man, they protected him. I think they'll roll with him. Calhoun, Upton, Trout when they've been healthy the last 3-4 years have been playing avg. 158 games. No 4th outfielder will get that much playing time, 12 games over 6 months is 1 game every 2 weeks. If one got injured we'd probably swing a trade w/ our free cap space for a Bruce/whoever on the market. 

If we signed two of Headley, Nunez, Cozart, Frazier for 1b/3b on 1-2 year deals we would increase our flexibility and create more of a team culture. Teams like the Indians/Astros/Dodgers/Yankees have guys playing everywhere and not complaining/showing any ego. Kike/Forsythe/Taylor - Springer/Maybin/Gonzalez - Hicks/Headley/Frazier - Kipnis/Ramirez/Urshela all sacrificed for the team.

Do you honestly think our 4th outfielder will only start one game every two weeks?  Also if we signed Headley or Frazier we’d still need to sign another utility guy that can play SS.  Last year the Dodgers made the WS and they platoon a ton.  Lastly, two of the biggest free agent this season are Moustakas and Hosmer.  They both played in the WS in 2014.  Neither accumulated a 1 WAR that season.  Other than that your post is spot on. Keep barking little puppy keep barking. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I like that Cozart can al,so be the back-up SS/2B - frees up a bench role or allows for an extra arm. Worst case scenario he turns into a UT player going forward if last year was a fluke.

I think I’ll have to see the money we give to Cozart first before I can determine whether I like the move of not.

We cant be paying a UT guy (if that happens) starter money 

3 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I think I’ll have to see the money we give to Cozart first before I can determine whether I like the move of not.

I doubt he'd decline that sharply in a year - if he does, you can always pencil him in as the starter for 2B or 3B in '19 still and get one more season of him being an all-glove, no bat option (again, if that's what he becomes) - and if he keeps regressing, his last year (assuming he gets a 3-yr) can be an expensive super-sub. Which sucks, but if only one year left, not the worst cost if we have to eat it.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I doubt he'd decline that sharply in a year - if he does, you can always pencil him in as the starter for 2B or 3B in '19 still and get one more season of him being an all-glove, no bat option (again, if that's what he becomes) - and if he keeps regressing, his last year (assuming he gets a 3-yr) can be an expensive super-sub. Which sucks, but if only one year left, not the worst cost if we have to eat it.

Have you seen his career stats...last year was a complete outlier. The more I see Cozart the less I want him on this team. Not only are his offense numbers an outlier but they are asking him to play a position he doesn't play.

9 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I highly doubt they sign Cozart to just be a utility infielder.  After the year he had last year, why would Cozart have any interest in getting paid less and not playing?

If the Angels sign him it will be with the plan to play him.

So when he signs, be prepared to not like the salary if you honestly believe what you wrote in your post.

D-backs said they are willing to listen on any infielder not named Ketel Marte. I don’t really understand that... one of the best teams in the NL last year and now they are going to trade one of their stud infielders? 

With that... what would it take to pry Jake Lamb loose? He would solve 3rd for the Trout window

Just now, TroutField said:

D-backs said they are willing to listen in any infielder not named Ketel Marte. I don’t really understand that... one of the best teams in the NL last year and now they are going to trade one of their stud infielders? 

Damn I’d take Marte.

Lamb can’t hit lefties and struggled in the 2nd half but sure is tempting

5 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Have you seen his career stats...last year was a complete outlier. The more I see Cozart the less I want him on this team. Not only are his offense numbers an outlier but they are asking him to play a position he doesn't play.

His defense is fantastic and there is evidence that he did transform his game offensively. I don't think last years numbers are necessarily repeatable, but I think something in between is wholly realistic.