• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Stanton Sweepstakes

Second Base

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

How nuts would it be if Eppler landed Ohtani, Stanton (and maybe even Gordon) in the same day, paralleling the Pujols/Wilson/Hawkins day?

Whats crazy is that if we landed any one of those guys, wed all be pretty pleased and excited...and weve already forgotten upton.

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im jist as guilty as anyone else. I guess its just thst upton is already "here", vs a shiny new toy.

Same here. It's looking like a sneaky great deal too. It was basically the Hunter deal. I think Upton will flourish here, at least the first 2-3 years, and it'll be a massive upgrade. 

As orgasmic as it would be to land Stanton, that is a heck of a financial commitment on top of the Upton deal (and the TroutBert money) and Eppler seems to really value financial flexibility and short-term commitments. So, if it happens, it'll definitely be because Arte decided to raise the bar.

Can you imagine the media frenzy and fan excitement around a team featuring Trout, Stanton, Ohtani, Upton, Gordon, Simmons, and Albert Pujols? Absolutely insane, but technically there is actually a chance. 

23 minutes ago, totdprods said:

How nuts would it be if Eppler landed Ohtani, Stanton (and maybe even Gordon) in the same day, paralleling the Pujols/Wilson/Hawkins day?

Cut it out, you're gonna give me blue balls ...

This would probably be greater - Pujols was already on the decline, and Wilson was never better than a #2 - we'd have 2 MVP candidates on the same team - like Mantle & Maris  ...

5 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Cut it out, you're gonna give me blue balls ...

This would probably be greater - Pujols was already on the decline, and Wilson was never better than a #2 - we'd have 2 MVP candidates on the same team - like Mantle & Maris  ...

In that lineup, you can add Upton to the list of potential MVP's. No way he doesn't kill it with Trout and Stanton behind or in front of him.

42 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Okay, just push the chair back from the keyboard and ponder what you just wrote and how that worked out. 

14 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

In that lineup, you can add Upton to the list of potential MVP's. No way he doesn't kill it with Trout and Stanton behind or in front of him.

Yeah - agreed - the Stanton contract is freaking ridiculous, especially when we're already on the hook for Pujols - but that would be an outfield for the ages ...

38 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Yeah - agreed - the Stanton contract is freaking ridiculous, especially when we're already on the hook for Pujols - but that would be an outfield for the ages ...

Id love to have stanton. But yeah, the contract could kill. Especially if it hirts trouts money.

That said, i dont think stsntons contract is all that crazy looking ahead...guys like him are gonna cost like him going forward.

Question For Jeff Fletcher:

Why isn't the media speculating about Stanton to the Angels?

Remember I am using the word speculating.

Angels have room under luxury tax.  Many believe it won't take premium prospects if you take all or most of the salary.  Angels want to upgrade their offense including OB% specifically.  Calhoun can play 1B, saving on an upgrade there.  Angels are also natural fit for Gordon.  And the guy wants to be in Southern California.

Eppler has also proven to work silently.

So with all that, NOBODY speculates the Angels make a deal???

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Question For Jeff Fletcher:

Why isn't the media speculating about Stanton to the Angels?

Remember I am using the word speculating.

Angels have room under luxury tax.  Many believe it won't take premium prospects if you take all or most of the salary.  Angels want to upgrade their offense including OB% specifically.  Calhoun can play 1B, saving on an upgrade there.  Angels are also natural fit for Gordon.  And the guy wants to be in Southern California.

Eppler has also proven to work silently.

So with all that, NOBODY speculates the Angels make a deal???

I can give you 295 million reasons. I think the way the Angels have stayed out of the free agent market for the other 9-figure guys demonstrates their reluctance to get involved with another mega-contract. 

Also, the Angels have 3 outfielders. We've asked about Calhoun playing 1st before and I don't think it's something that's realistic on an everyday basis. You also lose a ton of his value by doing that. You're better off just trading him, and if you do that you're trading him after a somewhat down year, as he's getting more expensive, so not as likely to get a big return for him.

It just doesn't make sense. Not to me, anyway.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I can give you 295 million reasons. I think the way the Angels have stayed out of the free agent market for the other 9-figure guys demonstrates their reluctance to get involved with another mega-contract. 

Also, the Angels have 3 outfielders. We've asked about Calhoun playing 1st before and I don't think it's something that's realistic on an everyday basis. You also lose a ton of his value by doing that. You're better off just trading him, and if you do that you're trading him after a somewhat down year, as he's getting more expensive, so not as likely to get a big return for him.

I agree, I don't think Stanton is needed for this team. You have a gold glover in Calhoun who's contract isn't astronomical. Stanton would be nice but he's not absolutely necessary to win. We need to fill other positions and have a looming Trout contract coming up.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ok. . .but is it fair to speculate the Angels stayed away from big contracts simply because of having no room for more salary with the lux tax, while now they have room?

Is it fair to solve the Calhoun comment by simply including him or trading him elsewhere?  I get the timing not being perfect to trade him but if the big picture is having Stanton in RF over Calhoun. . .and decision time is today then it is still reasonable to make the move.

You could give the Marlins Calhoun, Hermosillo, Cohart and a throw in live arm lonshot single A pitcher.

All I am really asking is why there is no open speculation.  I accept personal opinion past the speculation but it seems very odd to me to hear 3 talking heads on tv chat out the potential landing spots and nobody even mentions the Angels.

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I've always felt bringing in Staton would negate the Halos ability to sign Trout long term.  

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

If that is true, Stanton isn't worth it.  I'd rather have Trout than Stanton for the next 10+ years.

I have the numbers worked on my spreadsheet at home and bringing Stanton over and extending Trout next year to a 12 year/$500M contract is quite doable along with a series of other moves and extensions and it still only pushes us up right against the Luxury Tax in 2019 and a hair below in 2020 (Ohtani signing with us would obviously mess with that long-term projection in 2020 and beyond probably).

It is doable financially if Arte is willing to potentially exceed the Luxury Tax by a very mild amount in 2019 and (maybe) 2020.

The question really becomes whether or not the Angels are willing to commit to the possibility that Stanton does not opt-out and the potential burden of the long-term contract, Giancarlo's projected aging curve, and his risk for injury over the next three years and long-term.

Personally, based on likely market factors, it seems likely that Stanton will opt-out if money is important to him after 2020 because he seems likely to make a significant amount more (as we said in the Primer Series possibly $50M or more) in free agency. However I am not a financials expert (of which Eppler is) so there are probably factors I'm not accounting for in this discussion that may be quite pertinent to Stanton's value in the short and long term.

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

Personally, based on likely market factors, it seems likely that Stanton will opt-out if money is important to him after 2020 because he seems likely to make a significant amount more (as we said in the Primer Series possibly $50M or more) in free agency. However I am not a financials expert (of which Eppler is) so there are probably factors I'm not accounting for in this discussion that may be quite pertinent to Stanton's value in the short and long term.

Honestly, I think if Stanton ended up on the Dodgers or Angels, I don't think he opts out.  He will finally be where he wants to be.

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Honestly, I think if Stanton ended up on the Dodgers or Angels, I don't think he opts out.  He will finally be where he wants to be.

That is certainly a possibility. However the basic WAR valuation model actually increases his value long-term so that would still be a potential win for whomever acquires him and this is assuming you take on all of his salary too. His long-term value > his 3-year value using rudimentary WAR valuation models (i.e. no complex factorization of value of money, aging curves, injury risk profiles, etc.).