• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire RHP Jim Johnson

totdprods

Jeff FletcherVerified account @JeffFletcherOCR 10m10 minutes ago
MoreThe #Angels have acquired RH reliever Jim Johnson and international pool space from the Braves for minor league LHP Justin Kelly. More to come on this.

Jeff FletcherVerified account @JeffFletcherOCR 7m7 minutes ago
Johnson, 34, had back-to-back 50-save seasons for the Orioles in 2012-13. Last year he had a 3.06 ERA, 9.5 K/9 (Eppler's favorite stat) and 20 saves. He is signed for one more year at $5M.

I am curious to see how much international money we are gaining.  We were near the bottom of available pool space and this trade basically is giving Atlanta a prospect for an erratic (either pretty good or really bad) reliever paid $5 mil next season.  With the Braves sanctions severely limiting international participation, I could this being more about the pool money than Jim Johnson. 

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

Its not a bad signing hoping for a bounce back from a capable closer. Although for the same money he could have had Petit so I'm hoping the international pool money is at least mildly significant.

I'm guessing it was the 2nd year/3rd year option is what kept us from re-signing Petit. His track record wasn't exactly dominant enough to guarantee that extra commitment. 

Just now, KevinStockerIsGod said:

I am curious to see how much international money we are gaining.  We were near the bottom of available pool space and this trade basically is giving Atlanta a prospect for an erratic (either pretty good or really bad) reliever paid $5 mil next season.  With the Braves sanctions severely limiting international participation, I could this being more about the pool money than Jim Johnson. 

I agree, it seems more like a salary dump to me.

Just now, KevinStockerIsGod said:

Fletcher was a little off, Johnson had a 3.06 ERA in 2016.  Last year, it was 5.56....so I'm definitely thinking Angels took the gamble on Johnson for the pool money. 

BBRef is strangely not loading '17 stats for players right now.

1 minute ago, KevinStockerIsGod said:

If the Angels plan on making a run at Ohtani or some of the recent prospects forfeited by Atlanta, this is a worthwhile endeavor and maybe we get a decent RP out of it.

I'd definitely consider adding the SS they lost out on. We have next to nothing in the pipelines as far as INF go. Ideally its Ohtani but id settle for some legit upside guys as well, if anything for just trade bait.

Ohtani doesn't really fit here as a two way player unless they plan on him playing Right and Calhoun playing 1st.

If he's essentially a younger Hideki Matsui in the OF and Tanaka or Darvish on the mound, that's unprecedented, but I have a feeling he won't do either, and will end up somewhere in the middle on both, essentially being a great hitting pitcher, who can also backup some of the position players.

5 minutes ago, KevinStockerIsGod said:

If the Angels plan on making a run at Ohtani or some of the recent prospects forfeited by Atlanta, this is a worthwhile endeavor and maybe we get a decent RP out of it.

Alternately, I wonder if the Angels could trade a boatload of int'l money to someone like NYY for some prospects from their deep farm (they're deep at 1B, MIF, and SP) - it'd help give NYY an edge in signing Ohtani (if the Angels know they have no chance) and make it more difficult for Texas to offer comparable money.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Ohtani doesn't really fit here as a two way player unless they plan on him playing Right and Calhoun playing 1st.

If he's essentially a younger Hideki Matsui in the OF and Tanaka or Darvish on the mound, that's unprecedented, but I have a feeling he won't do either, and will end up somewhere in the middle on both, essentially being a great hitting pitcher, who can also backup some of the position players.

I keep thinking maybe he can play 1st base? He could save his arm but still be able to hit on his off days.