• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire RHP Jim Johnson

totdprods

4 minutes ago, John Smith said:

happy_bigger.jpg Jonathan MayoVerified account @JonathanMayo 2m2 minutes ago

In the deal involving @Braves and @Angels, #Angels get the rest of #Braves int'l pool space: $1.21 mil. That gives Angels $1.315 mil to offer to any international free agent one might think of...

Ooh wow, this definitely is sign that we are going after ohtani. Yes, I know about the braves kids as Well but we can spend next year's bonus on them aswell.

I'm gonna guess its actually a sign that we are going to go hard after Brave's international prospects. I think eppy has said that he isn't looking for pitching, and he may have been lying, but I feel like I remember the brave's prospects fitting our needs very well.

edit- assuming they are MLB ready, which...I think is the case?

Johnson's ERA was 5.56 last year, but his FIP was 4.22 - not great, but much better. His xFIP was 3.98...his main problem was that his HR rate went from 0.42 to 1.27, well above his career average of 0.63. So some positive regression is likely. It is also interesting to note that his 9.69 K rate is the highest of his career, and has been steadily climbing throughout his career. 

But the international pool money is the real gem of the deal, to such an extent that I wonder why the Braves made this move.

Being able to scrounge up that much pool money in a salary dump for a guy who is probably going to be a useful player for the Angels this year just seems like a big steal overall. Let us all enjoy these next three weeks where we can be overly excited about the idea of grabbing Ohtani.

1 minute ago, krAbs said:

Thanks. Seriously, I know it's not my money, but it's just money. Trout/Stanton/Upton would make for years of compelling baseball to watch in Anaheim. Add in the idea of Ohtani and Arte could easily add another $500 million or more to the value of the franchise. 

5 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Thanks. Seriously, I know it's not my money, but it's just money. Trout/Stanton/Upton would make for years of compelling baseball to watch in Anaheim. Add in the idea of Ohtani and Arte could easily add another $500 million or more to the value of the franchise. 

Yep, gotta spend money to make money.   Key is spending it wisely enough with only so much risk.