• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire RHP Jim Johnson

totdprods

Here's an out of the box thought (certainly one that Eppler could have):

If we pursue Ohtani and don't get him, we then use the international money on picking up some of the former Braves farmhands, then offer them to the Marlins for Stanton.

Not sure that fits in the appropriate timeline, but I could see this happening.

19 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What would the Halos closest equivalent of Panik, Beede, and Shaw be?

Well thats the 64 dollar question i suppose, but if it were me i would try something like Calhoun, Cron or Cowart (or both to lessen the prospects sent), and a prospect or two preferably not in the top 5 to try to get both Stanton and Gordon.   If were taking on 250 mil of Stanton plus Gordon that would balance i think.   MIA still has to field a team after all. 

7 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

If we pursue Ohtani and don't get him, we then use the international money on picking up some of the former Braves farmhands, then offer them to the Marlins for Stanton.

Or to simply restock the farm with whichever Angels prospect(s) he deals. 

I doubt it'd look good for these players who were essentially abandoned to be signed only to be immediately traded again. That's a lot of yo-yo'ing for very young players already dealing with a lot of upheaval.

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I would guess (assuming they would want these players) Calhoun, Cron, and Barria. Yes, that would cost Miamia a bit more than getting pure prospects, but they could probably flip Calhoun for more prospects to lower their financial commitment even more.

3 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I would guess (assuming they would want these players) Calhoun, Cron, and Barria. Yes, that would cost Miamia a bit more than getting pure prospects, but they could probably flip Calhoun for more prospects to lower their financial commitment even more.

I'd do everything possible to thrown OF prospects into a deal in place of Barria. 

Pitchers are worth too much and with Upton, Trout, and Stanton all under contract for 3+ years, we can afford to take a hit, even a major one, from the Adell, Jones, Marsh, etc. wave. It'd sting, but to have an OF capable of 20+ WAR under contract for the remainder of Trout's contract is totally worth it.

Bedee = Skaggs...

Skaggs is better right now because he's made it to the majors.  Don't see Barria being a match to Bedee...he's been Giants #1 prospect in recent years but stumbled a bit at AAA last year.  Has potential of being top of rotation starter as Skaggs was projected to be when he was a prospect.

Shaw = Cron

Cron's made it to majors but Shaw projects as a better defender / better hitter for average and power.

Panik = ???

I'd think the Angels would have include Jones or similar minor leaguer with Cron and Skaggs to be in the ballpark with what Giants are offering since Panik is an established 2B, won a GG in 2016 and was an all-star in 2015.

And don't think it's that bad to include Jones since the Angels OF would be set for long enough time for Marsh and Adell to reach the majors.

Gordon -2B

Trout - CF

Upton - LF

Stanton - RF

Pujols - DH

Calhoun - 1B

Simmons - SS

Valbuena - 3B

Maldonado - C

33 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Or the Marlins could just sign the Braves players they want in the first place.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Or the Marlins could just sign the Braves players they want in the first place.

They could, but then they could get even more of them in a Stanton trade.

Not saying it's likely to happen, just saying it's something that could very well be in Eppler's toolbox.

26 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Isn't this the same Jim Johnson who struggled in half a season with the Athletics in 2014?

That shouldn't be the focus. He was a means to an end. Acquiring him also enabled us to acquire all of the Braves' international signing bonus pool. That's the meat of the trade.

However, Johnson was also very good as a closer in Baltimore and was pretty good in 2016. If we can get any of that version, this is a steal with or without the bonus $$.

46 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Isn't this the same Jim Johnson who struggled in half a season with the Athletics in 2014?

And he's been very good many other times.

Eppler now been extremely consistent in finding good relievers. As such, I'm happy to have Johnson lined up for the '18 pen. If he flops, he isn't hard to cut. And as pointed out, this was just as much about the int'l money. Glad we got it before other teams poached it away from Atlanta.

Yeah before the news broke out about the international slot money, I was thinking why not just give petit the extra year and $5 million. Obviously, the extra international slot money was the key here (I assume) to go after the glut of prospects (ohtani aside) for the upcoming period

Espn is saying!!!! ALL OF IT!!!!!

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Angels have acquired pitcher Jim Johnson and the Atlanta Braves' remaining $1.21 million in international bonus signing allocation for minor league left-hander Justin Kelly, it was announced Thursday.

The deal increases Los Angeles' possible bonus offer to Shohei Ohtani to $1,315,000

Los Angeles had been 28th among the 30 teams in bonus space for Ohtani. The trade Thursday elevated the Angels to seventh behind Texas ($3,535,000), the New York Yankees ($3.5 million), Minnesota ($3.07 million), Pittsburgh ($2,266,750), Seattle ($1.557,500) Miami ($1.49 million) Now HALOS @ ($1.31M)

I still think they could make a run at Ohtani...But, then they wouldn't need Stanton if Ohtani plays RF 3-4 days a week and Starts another Game on the bump. You give him a Day off before his starts and the day after his starts.... So, then we would need Revere back to fill those 3 games a week?... Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21620662/atlanta-braves-trade-closer-jim-johnson-los-angeles-angels

25 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

The deal increases Los Angeles' possible bonus offer to Shohei Ohtani to $1,315,000

Los Angeles had been 28th among the 30 teams in bonus space for Ohtani. The trade Thursday elevated the Angels to seventh behind Texas ($3,535,000), the New York Yankees ($3.5 million), Minnesota ($3.07 million), Pittsburgh ($2,266,750), Seattle ($1.557,500) Miami ($1.49 million) Now HALOS @ ($1.31M)

That really says it all. One hell of a deal even if they don't land Ohtani. International money is really hot right now.

To get all of this for Justin Kelly is amazing. 

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That really says it all. One hell of a deal even if they don't land Ohtani. International money is really hot right now.

To get all of this for Justin Kelly is amazing. 

It's more for Petite since they took on Johnson's contract which is $5m next season. Essentially a salary dump in exchange for international bonus money.

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Honestly at this point, I'm thinking we''ll either land Ohtani, or we'll redistribute that money and land Kevin Maitan.  Either way, I'm expecting a bit of a splash here.  Hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.  

I agree. I don't think we're going to see only small/mid level acquisitions this offseason. There will be something substantial still.

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

In my opinion an equivalent package would probably be something like Kole Calhoun, Chris Rodriguez, and Jahmai Jones. Slightly different pieces but the Giants prospects are closer to Major League ready so we'd have to give up more potential value in Rodriguez and Jones to match that offer and get back the $40M+ the Marlins are sending back.

My opinion is go less and take on more of the money. Kole Calhoun, Jahmai Jones, and Kaleb Cowart with the Marlins only sending back no more than $20M would be more advisable to the Angels (but perhaps not acceptable for Miami).

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Espn is saying!!!! ALL OF IT!!!!!

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Angels have acquired pitcher Jim Johnson and the Atlanta Braves' remaining $1.21 million in international bonus signing allocation for minor league left-hander Justin Kelly, it was announced Thursday.

I still think they could make a run at Ohtani...But, then they wouldn't need Stanton if Ohtani plays RF 3-4 days a week and Starts another Game on the bump. You give him a Day off before his starts and the day after his starts.... So, then we would need Revere back to fill those 3 games a week?... Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21620662/atlanta-braves-trade-closer-jim-johnson-los-angeles-angels

There is absolutely no reason why the Angels couldn't land Ohtani and Stanton. They can afford it.

If Ohtani can play in the OF there is no reason he couldn't play 1B or hit out of the DH spot. Additionally he could pick up at-bats as a reserve outfielder behind Upton, Trout, and Stanton as well. 1B is the easiest defensive position in baseball so if he can master the outfield he can play 1B in all likelihood. He is young and talented he can do it.

30 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Quick question, do we have 1.3 mil or 1.5 mil in intl bonus?

Right now it sounds like we have just a little over $1.3M total. As I outlined in the Primer Series (Eppler's Strategy Part II) the Angels can per the new CBA acquire up to 75% of their original bonus pool which is a maximum of $3.5M extra. So the Angels could, conceivably, pick up an additional $2.3M through other transactions.