• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Non-Tender Deadline is Friday.

Hubs

Normally Dec. 2, it was moved up to Dec. 1 this year.

Here are the projected salaries, though they won't be exchanged until January, of the Angels arbitration eligible players.

• Martin Maldonado (5.156) – $2.8MM
  • Garrett Richards (5.148) – $7.0MM
  • Blake Wood (5.131) – $2.2MM
  • Matt Shoemaker (3.166) – $4.4MM
  • Tyler Skaggs (3.135) – $1.9MM
  • Blake Parker (3.036) – $1.7MM
  • Jose Alvarez (3.035) – $1.1MM
  • C.J. Cron (3.097) – $2.8MM
  • Cam Bedrosian (2.153) – $1.2MM
  • Andrew Heaney (2.150) – $800K
  • J.C. Ramirez (2.139) – $2.6MM

The only player not likely to be tendered in my opinion is Blake Wood.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Cron and Alvarez, possibly even Ramirez. Keeping them is beyond likely, but they're also a total $6-7m for '18. If the Angels have serious interest in a lefty reliever or 1B, they may push to make that move before the deadline.

Eppler and Co. reportedly would like to keep Wood too, but maybe not at that price.

Bedrosian, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker, and especially Richards could have interesting discussions surrounding them in regards to extensions. Again, not likely, but worth keeping an eye on.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I looked at other teams non-tender candidates, but didn't find much.

https://offthewallbaseball.com/2017/09/07/non-tender-candidates-for-2018/

He does say Matt Harvey and Shelby Miller may be non-tendered. That would be surprising, but hey neither have performed well in the past two years.

Could see Angels being interested in Harvey. 

Cron's finally out of options. So, they've lost the luxury of sending him down to Salt Lake after hitting like Mathis for a few months, and then watching him rake when he comes back. If Eppler is serious about wanting to increase overall team OBP, first base is probably the easiest position to find a player who can do that. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved this week, or non-tendered if they can't find a trade partner.

3 hours ago, ettin said:

All will be tendered contracts in my opinion. Wood was good enough to get a tender. Cron will be tendered simply because he has surplus value and can still be traded.

I would be shocked if any of them didn't although Blake is closest to the border.

I think you are right on Robert.  I think they will not tender Wood though.  He has the least trade value and is the most replaceable of the bunch.

30 minutes ago, tomsred said:

I think you are right on Robert.  I think they will not tender Wood though.  He has the least trade value and is the most replaceable of the bunch.

The reason I think they may keep Wood is that they have him now, he pitched competently when he came over to the team, and he is only a 1-year commitment and the Angels have a lot of payroll available in 2018 specifically.

I could be wrong just call it a gut feeling that they stick with him. There certainly are other interesting options on the market so they could wind up preferring another opportunity for sure.

11 minutes ago, ettin said:

The reason I think they may keep Wood is that they have him now, he pitched competently when he came over to the team, and he is only a 1-year commitment and the Angels have a lot of payroll available in 2018 specifically.

I could be wrong just call it a gut feeling that they stick with him. There certainly are other interesting options on the market so they could wind up preferring another opportunity for sure.

Also keep in mind that the arbitration award is not fully guaranteed.  If Wood performs poorly in spring training, the Angels can cut him and only owe 30 days salary.  If he looks good, they keep him and (presumably) are happy to pay the salary for one year.  Since the CBT is unlikely to be an issue this year, this represents a low cost roll of the dice.

Here are some additional non-tender candidates, per MLBTR.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-non-tender-candidates.html

Hernan Perez strikes me as a potential fit for the UT IF role, maybe platooning with Valbuena. Not much OBP but a very good glove, and sneaky power and speed. Reminds me a bit of Eduardo Nunez without the multi-year deal. Adeiny Hechevarria probably falls into that category as well. Brock Holt really hasn't recovered well from his concussions. Can probably find someone more reliable, but he'd be interesting replacing Ackley's spot on the deph charts if he winds up taking a minor league deal. Jace Peterson could be viewed similarly.

Jordy Mercer may represent the best non-tender UT IF pick-up if you could convince him to move positions or accept a super-sub role. He has a beautiful .296/.362/.462/.824 slash against lefties.

Bruce or Hector Rondon would be interesting, and any of the White Sox RP non-tender candidates seem like they could fit Eppler's MO.

Tom Koehler was awful with Miami this year but rebounded a bit in Toronto and has the SP/longman depth Eppler likes. Zac Rosscup has some interesting peripherals and prospect pedigree that Eppler would like, and throws left-handed.

If the Angels are serious about big upgrades at 1B and 3B, Brad Miller would be worth the risk at 2B. Wherever Matt Adams winds up could affect the 1B FA market the Angels are looking at, but hopefully they don't see him as a solution.

10 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Would have never thunk it a year ago but it wouldn't shock me if they cut Cron loose.....doubt there is much trade market for him since teams know he is a non-tender candidate...

I really don't think Cron gets you more than a Jesus Castillo/Jake Jewell type arm, a borderline 4-A position player (say someone a step above Cowart), or a salary dump vet. If they're serious about acquiring a 1B, I definitely could see them just dropping him and saving the money. There are enough options available they could afford the risk, in my opinion. The glut of 1B could make Cron attractive too though - some team may opt to trade for him now and avoid competing in the FA 1B market. 

I could see the Rays employing a Cron/Matt Adams 1B platoon. Angels could swap Cron and Hechevarria and get a player on roster that'd be insurance at 2B, 3B, and a UT IF at worst.

Jon HeymanVerified account @JonHeyman 4m4 minutes ago
braves are looking at trades for matt adams, which spices up an already active and stacked 1B market. royals, red sox, rox, rangers, mets, phils, angels, cards among teams that could add a 1B.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

Here are some additional non-tender candidates, per MLBTR.

Hernan Perez strikes me as a potential fit for the UT IF role, maybe platooning with Valbuena. Not much OBP but a very good glove, and sneaky power and speed. Reminds me a bit of Eduardo Nunez without the multi-year deal. Adeiny Hechevarria probably falls into that category as well. Brock Holt really hasn't recovered well from his concussions. Can probably find someone more reliable, but he'd be interesting replacing Ackley's spot on the deph charts if he winds up taking a minor league deal. Jace Peterson could be viewed similarly.

Jordy Mercer may represent the best non-tender UT IF pick-up if you could convince him to move positions or accept a super-sub role. He has a beautiful .296/.362/.462/.824 slash against lefties.

Bruce or Hector Rondon would be interesting, and any of the White Sox RP non-tender candidates seem like they could fit Eppler's MO.

Tom Koehler was awful with Miami this year but rebounded a bit in Toronto and has the SP/longman depth Eppler likes. Zac Rosscup has some interesting peripherals and prospect pedigree that Eppler would like, and throws left-handed.

If the Angels are serious about big upgrades at 1B and 3B, Brad Miller would be worth the risk at 2B. Wherever Matt Adams winds up could affect the 1B FA market the Angels are looking at, but hopefully they don't see him as a solution.

Drew smyly would also be a depth move as well.