• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Career Defining Off-season for Billy Eppler?

Docwaukee

17 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think that this is an important offseason.  Equally so next year.

Eppler has to resign Mike Trout. 

I’ll say it has been a productive preaseason so far for the Angels. Upton alone fills a big hole in the outfield.  Then previously they get a gold glove shortstop and a gold glove catcher.  Maybe this is the latest trend to take on contracts at the end of the year.  I’d still like to see the Angels make up their minds on Cron or Cowart, or move on.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Not meaning to pick but career defining?  He is like 40 years old.  Is this specific offseason really that unique?

Career altering might be a better choice.

This off-season will be pivotal though and will have an impact on how Moreno views Billy as a GM I think.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Career altering might be a better choice.

This off-season will be pivotal though and will have an impact on how Moreno views Billy as a GM I think.

I know it is a lot less fun to frame this way but I think this offseason for Eppler is just another offseason.  He has work to do like any year.

My guess is his relationship with Moreno is already well molded, and not swinging on transactions this offseason.

But that's boring so there is natural human temptation for people to tell me I am wrong.

hardly "career defining" for eppler.  the angels gm job isn't a poisoned chalice, or a rubik's cube, it's a free pass, since pressure isn't that high and the farm/payroll have been fucked for many years.  i don't see the rest of the league as putting too much faith in the inner workings of the angels organization, just ask dipoto, who quit in the middle of the season and soon after got another gm job.

31 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Not meaning to pick but career defining?  He is like 40 years old.  Is this specific offseason really that unique?

Kinda depends on what he does.  The Yankee teams of the 70’s traded for impact players who could contribute right away and won pennants in 76,81, and World Series in 77 and 78.  I hope Eppler doesn’t go too far because I want balance and fan appeal but this approach has been taken before.

Potentially this could be a low volume transaction offseason.

1). Upton.

2). One transaction to get a 2B.

It is not a bad bet, maybe a great bet, that those two might really be the only notable things that happen.

That seems far more likely than this being a career defining offseason for him.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I know it is a lot less fun to frame this way but I think this offseason for Eppler is just another offseason.  He has work to do like any year.

My guess is his relationship with Moreno is already well molded, and not swinging on transactions this offseason.

But that's boring so there is natural human temptation for people to tell me I am wrong.

while i also would not call it career defining (that should be based on his body of work over time) i think it's important as the clock continues to run on the trout years.