• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTradeRumors: Angels Offseason Outlook

totdprods

19 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I'm hoping that this is something the writer just made up and not even remotely true.

"It could be that the Angels are okay with their current options and simply want a veteran to purely eat innings, which opens their search to any number of free agent arms available on short-term contracts.  To this end, the team could look for a reunion with Jesse Chavez or Ricky Nolasco, though in Nolasco’s case, the Angels would decline their $13MM club option on his services and pursue a lesser deal."

This would cause the first Angelswin 1500 man protest march around the Big A. 

Even TDawg would fly in for that event. 

10 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I'm hoping that this is something the writer just made up and not even remotely true.

"It could be that the Angels are okay with their current options and simply want a veteran to purely eat innings, which opens their search to any number of free agent arms available on short-term contracts.  To this end, the team could look for a reunion with Jesse Chavez or Ricky Nolasco, though in Nolasco’s case, the Angels would decline their $13MM club option on his services and pursue a lesser deal."

Man you guys are so shell-shocked. 
The likelihood of that happening is slim to nil, but virtually any major leaguer is worth considering if the terms and context are appropriate. 

It's difficult to draw up a scenario where a cheap Chavez/Nolasco deal makes sense or seems like a positive outcome or preferable in any way, but it isn't impossible to see where it could make sense depending on how the rest of the pieces fall into a place. If the team feels really comfortable throwing big money and resources at bats and has a lot of faith in our fragile, internal pitching options, snagging a vet innings-eater on a 1/$7.5m deal to eat innings early in the season while guys prove their health and keep the young pen from burning themselves out early, it makes sense, and if that tier of arms is Derek Holland, Ricky Nolasco, Chris Tillman, Jesse Chavez, Miguel Gonzalez, Francisco Liriano....none of them really stand out that much more than Ricky, who at least had a period of success here.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Man you guys are so shell-shocked. 
The likelihood of that happening is slim to nil, but virtually any major leaguer is worth considering if the terms and context are appropriate. 

It's difficult to draw up a scenario where a cheap Chavez/Nolasco deal makes sense or seems like a positive outcome or preferable in any way, but it isn't impossible to see where it could make sense depending on how the rest of the pieces fall into a place. If the team feels really comfortable throwing big money and resources at bats and has a lot of faith in our fragile, internal pitching options, snagging a vet innings-eater on a 1/$7.5m deal to eat innings early in the season while guys prove their health and keep the young pen from burning themselves out early, it makes sense, and if that tier of arms is Derek Holland, Ricky Nolasco, Chris Tillman, Jesse Chavez, Miguel Gonzalez, Francisco Liriano....none of them really stand out that much more than Ricky, who at least had a period of success here.

It's more like PTSD from seeing Nolasco allowing all those home runs.

23 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Writer probably didn't watch either of them pitch this year.

Also, Chavez fits the bill of a multiple-innings reliever. 
His first 9 games out of the pen last year: 17.1 IP, 10 hits, 4 walks, 24 strikeouts, 1.04 ERA.

He then got hammered for 8 runs over the next three appearances, before settling back in a few scoreless appearances before coughing up 3 in his last game of the year. 

Not great, but flashes of a potential pen arm. 

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

Doug Fister opted out. Mike Scioscia could’ve opted out. Let’s not forget that bogus story that Mike Trout could’ve used an existing California law that would’ve allowed him to opt out. 

Could Mike Trout’s extension have initially included a lifetime deal with more money but maybe included an opt out clause that Arte refused to sign off on? It makes zero sense that more years weren’t done when they had the opportunity. 

No, let's live in reality. Has Moreno made any comments that would lead anyone to believe he would balk at renegotiating a deal with Upton? 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

No, let's live in reality. Has Moreno made any comments that would lead anyone to believe he would balk at renegotiating a deal with Upton? 

No but he agreed to the trade for Upton and that included paying him 4 / $88.5M. The opt out clause if exercised changes everything.  

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

No but he agreed to the trade for Upton and that included paying him 4 / $88.5M. The opt out clause if exercised changes everything.  

He agreed to the deal knowing the opt out clause was there. That would mean he understands it would probably be exercised and is willing to negotiate. Your agenda fails you once again.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I am not so sure about that, the more people I talk to. Might take a little more than Skaggs. 

Also, maybe the Angels don't want to trade Skaggs. Maybe the Phillies don't want him. Maybe there's no match. 

This is why trades are hard. 

I had been told that Hernandez wasn't that likely, although I've heard some other things confirming the Angels do like him. Which leads me to believe the issue may be the lack of a match more than the Angels lack of interest in him. 

Well, that is discouraging if true.  Just shows that Skaggs value is at a low point right now.  Honestly, I don't think I'd trade more than a Skaggs for Hernandez.

33 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He agreed to the deal knowing the opt out clause was there. That would mean he understands it would probably be exercised and is willing to negotiate. Your agenda fails you once again.

No Arte approved the trade based on a “win now” opportunity. That failed miserably! You’re assuming that Arte knew what Upton would be asking for if he opted out. The Angels organization had the whole month of September and part of October to extend Upton but they didn’t. That’s why I believe he’ll hit the open market. Your agenda is based on wishful thinking. We will all know in the next couple of weeks what’s going to happen so cool your heels.

57 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I value an "innings eater" as long as they are actually decent.

No, I don't want a 200 inning guy with a 5 era.

Sure I do too, but that can't always be achieved. There is only so much money to spend.

Virtually every team winds up buying an equivalent of a Chavez or Nolasco or Blanton every offseason - if Eppler is in a position where he is going to acquire an innings eater and he is going to spend $5-8m to do so, I could see where Nolasco or Chavez would have appeal over a Derek Holland or Yovanni Gallardo or Ubaldo Jimenez. Those guys all blow and are likely to do no better but every now and then you get lucky and catch one of those guys on a good year and get quality production. That's why there is always a market for them year in and year out. There is a reason a guy like Nolasco got a 4/$48m in the first place. 

I'm not advocating that route by any means, but it's not too hard to see a scenario where that outcome could happen.

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Eppler isn't working towards win now. Your agenda fails again.

The last minute trade for Upton and Phillips, dump Maybin “win now” opportunity was last month. That failed! There’s no way Upton agreed that he would exclusively work with Eppler if he opted out. Where’s Phillips? Was he part of the “win now or later” ? Upton said he wants to win so if it’s not “win now” Upton is going to be very disappointed so your agenda has already failed. 

So Eppler is not in the “win now”?

Angels outfielder Justin Upton has the chance to opt out of the four remaining years on his contract, and he's made it clear that a chance to win is a big component in whatever decision he makes.

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You literally have zero idea what has happened or is going to happen.  You do not have any idea if they have worked towards an extension.  Now we won't know until after the World Series as MLB asks for moratorium on announcements during the series.  

Neither do you or Blarg. So we can all speculate together. 

I wonder what Jake Odorizi would cost in a trade. He has as some upside and I think two more years of control. But his HR/9 rate is terrible and health is an issue.

At $6-7 mil next year he wouldn't be cheap for a team like the Rays. They might move him for something we can stomach.

2 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Well, that is discouraging if true.  Just shows that Skaggs value is at a low point right now.  Honestly, I don't think I'd trade more than a Skaggs for Hernandez.

Well, why would Skaggs value be anything other than low at this point?  He's an injury-prone 26-year old who's never come close to living up to his hype when he's actually been healthy enough to pitch.  Could he still live up to his early potential?  Maybe, but it seems like a complete crapshoot at this point.  Hernandez isn't going to carry a team, but he's turned into a good complementary piece, and I'm starting to come around to liking him more than I originally did.  He's only a year older than Skaggs, and they're both controllable for the same amount of time.

I have no idea if either team is actually all that interested in these two specific players, but it seems like a pretty good deal overall--and you could easily make the argument that the Angels would be getting the more valuable piece if such a trade happened.