• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels Notes: ‘Dialogue’ ongoing with Justin Upton

He's already overpaid, IMO, based on his career numbers.

But we are a desperate organization that hasn't had a good left fielder in years. And the Trout Clock is ticking. And it isnt a great FA class.

So, we will probably sweeten it even more, to see another free agent in his declining years. Sigh!

But if we don't, he will walk. Rock and a hard place.

I guess he must opt out sometime this weekend, right?

34 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Wouldn't it be more like:

Arte: (Picks up phone) I'll call Justin

(dial tone)

Arte: Hey Justin, its Arte!

(dial tone)

Arte: Yeah, so anyways, just wanted to let you know I really, really, really hope you don't opt out. Ok thanks!

(dial tone)

(hangs up)

Arte: I totally told him I want him to stay, which I totally do.  

More like...

Arte....hey Justin we would really like you to stay

Upton.....I said I want to win so you have 48 hours to get rid of Cron, Nolasco and Valbuena. Oh and don’t try to jack me around like you did with Torii. We have the same agent <click>

We've all speculated that perhaps a 'new' Upton deal would simply be another year and more money sprinkled on top, but I wonder if maybe there are some other options they could be looking at; adding more opt-outs or incentives into the deal for Upton or...conspiracy alert...

Perhaps they are serious about pursuing both Stanton and Upton, and they're willing to add more years onto a 'new' Upton deal at less AAV to help make it fit with luxury tax restraints, or use it as leverage, i.e., we want both of you here, but we can only pay so much, so if you want to be a part of this, this is the best we can offer, otherwise we can go our separate ways and pursue Stanton with that money instead.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We've all speculated that perhaps a 'new' Upton deal would simply be another year and more money sprinkled on top, but I wonder if maybe there are some other options they could be looking at; adding more opt-outs or incentives into the deal for Upton or...conspiracy alert...

Perhaps they are serious about pursuing both Stanton and Upton, and they're willing to add more years onto a 'new' Upton deal at less AAV to help make it fit with luxury tax restraints, or use it as leverage, i.e., we want both of you here, but we can only pay so much, so if you want to be a part of this, this is the best we can offer, otherwise we can go our separate ways and pursue Stanton with that money instead.

Image result for tin foil hat gif

22 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

He's already overpaid, IMO, based on his career numbers.

But we are a desperate organization that hasn't had a good left fielder in years. And the Trout Clock is ticking. And it isnt a great FA class.

So, we will probably sweeten it even more, to see another free agent in his declining years. Sigh!

But if we don't, he will walk. Rock and a hard place.

I guess he must opt out sometime this weekend, right?

I disagree that he’s overpaid.  He’s averaged a 3 WAR season in his career.  He’s in his prime.  Last year he was almost a 6 WAR player.  He’s earned his $20-25 million a year in today’s baseball economics.  

Upton's current AAV is around ~$22.5m I think...a 5/$125m would bump it to $25m AAV. A 6/$120m would drop it to $20m AAV. So there are some luxury tax implications that could be factored in here. That $5m in luxury tax wiggle room is significant.

Also, I think Pujols, Simmons, Trout, and Calhoun get more expensive in '18. Maybe they renegotiate Upton's deal where he takes a pay cut in '18 and his contract becomes much more backloaded, so as to keep their 2018 payroll less.  

Upton's opt-out may be a blessing in disguise by allowing us to dramatically re-work that deal into something beneficial for the team '18-'20 and more beneficial for Upton '21-'23.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If Upton opts out and is seeking a Josh Hamilton type contract at 5/$125M they should let him shop around. They can reallocate that $88.5M elsewhere in the lineup. 

Yes I’ve heard it a million times that Pujols’ salary doesn’t impact what the Angels are trying to do but it’s the DH position that could be vastly improved with his salary. It wouldn’t be very difficult to find a $27M slugger to fill that spot. 

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

If Upton opts out and is seeking a Josh Hamilton type contract at 5/$125M they should let him shop around. They can reallocate that $88.5M elsewhere in the lineup. 

Yes I’ve heard it a million times that Pujols’ salary doesn’t impact what the Angels are trying to do but it’s the DH position that could be vastly improved with his salary. It wouldn’t be very difficult to find a $27M slugger to fill that spot. 

54DE6155-E26A-497B-9230-7142D036BEB1.jpeg