• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox dump Farrell as manager

yk9001

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Upton is MAYBE proof that Arte Moreno does care.   Let's see how that works out this winter, and what acquisitions are brought in during the next 4 months.

Arte “doesn’t care” is fan speak for his moves he’s made and the money he’s spent hasn’t worked.  Of course he cares. 

3 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Other managers have gotten  fired for accomplishing a lot less. I guess winning  isn't  important.  I would rather see a fight in the club house then losing being acceptable. 

Winning is important, but you kind of need talent to win.  Because I’m talking to you someone incapable of logic when the subject is Scioscia I’ll say this.  If you want to fire him for 5 years ago, sure, go for it.  

1 hour ago, California Cajun said:

I wonder if the Angels give the job to Dino Ebel, who has been bench coach several years.  I don’t think Eppler would but maybe Arte.

If Scoscia gets a front office job you know he will have some say in who the next manager will be. 

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not sure if you follow the Sox, but they have had a pretty consistent run of clubhouse issues in recent years.  Not sure how much of the clubhouse BS falls on him given the beer and fried chicken issues that preceded him, but it's been a pretty constant issue during his tenure and FWIW, it's been said the Sox were ready to can him after back to back last place finishes in 2015 but that his cancer diagnosis prevented it from happening.  The team didn't want to appear heartless after all the flak Lackey got for divorcing his wife during her battle with cancer.

bob ryan of the boston globe was talking these very issues on espn this morning. this thread (predictably) derailed into a rant about sosh instead of dealing with why farrell was canned, so thanks for keeping it on track.

oh good, yet another thread that wants to fire the manager while simultaneously ignoring the rash of injuries that have decimated the talent on the team. 

well done and congrats to the usual suspects for coming through.

Edited by Tank

17 minutes ago, California Cajun said:

Let me say after participating on the MLB board with him for 15 years AnaheimBob is a solid baseball man and has been an Angel fan since 1965 (if I remember correctly).  He does , however, dislike Scioscia as a manager.  I hope we can keep on speaking our minds here.

Well us here at AngelsWin wouldn’t know, since he’s literally offered nothing but his opinions on Scioscia.  I’d love to see the other side of him, it very well could make the Scioscia side of him more bearable.  

1 hour ago, Tank said:

bob ryan of the boston globe was talking these very issues on espn this morning. this thread (predictably) derailed into a rant about sosh instead of dealing with why farrell was canned, so thanks for keeping it on track.

South FL is Yankee Red Sox country....   All the Boston drama makes it way to the sports stations down here -- the Red Sox were a huge melodrama all season long.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Exactly, it isn’t working.  It’s tough to win without equal talent.  Look at the teams in the playoffs, who did we have more talent than?  

A playoff team, a team intent on really winning, wouldn't have dreamed of using Pujols where the Angels do. Instead, the Angels placate the turd and say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯; "What can we do?  We don't have anybody else!"

Oh ffs, YK, the team had Espinosa/Pennington and Valbuena in the lineup and you're shitting your diapers about where Pujols batted? 

This was a throw away season, most of the team was on one year contracts and you want to make something out of a complete non issue. The only reason the Angels were close to a playoff spot was because 10 teams couldn't play .500 ball. 

The intention this season never was about the playoffs, it was to repair this broken franchise. And no manager is making it all better by comming in and rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship. 

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Oh ffs, YK, the team had Espinosa/Pennington and Valbuena in the lineup and you're shitting your diapers about where Pujols batted? 

This was a throw away season, most of the team was on one year contracts and you want to make something out of a complete non issue. The only reason the Angels were close to a playoff spot was because 10 teams couldn't play .500 ball. 

The intention this season never was about the playoffs, it was to repair this broken franchise. And no manager is making it all better by comming in and rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship. 

Exactly.  They actually did a good job of over achieving given the circumstances.  I still think it will be 2019 until we have a decent shot of going all the way, if we continue to make progress with player personnel.  There are no quick fixes for our ailments, unfortunately.  I really believe it is not in our best interest to go all out on front tier free agents this off season.  We can bolster up this team with younger, cheaper players in a tier above what we got this year and make progress next year.  If we happen to work our way into the mix by mid year 2018, then we might want to take a shot at top tier free agents because the 2019 class looks good so far and we can perhaps pick off one or two at that time.

Moreno does not own the Red Sox. He is very comfortable with Mike Scioscia as his manager. I'm not quite sure why but he just is.  I wanted very badly for the Angels to trade away most of their players at last season's deadline and they didn't do it. They also didn't do it this year. 

This year, the Angels were able to make it close towards the end but they clearly didn't have the talent that the teams in the playoffs have. Last year though, the Angels were just bad and yet they didn't trade away and get younger because Moreno likes the illusion of putting a winner on the field so he will get his three million attendance.  If they did like I suggested and pined for at last years deadline, they would be in a much better spot right now looking into next season but this is season would have not been nearly as competitive and Moreno might not have gotten his three million so that was just not acceptable to him.  

I think there is enough evidence to back up the fact that winning a World Series is not the most important thing to Moreno. If it was, he would have shaken up the team years ago and have gotten a different manager. He also would have called for a semi fire sale/rebuild at last years deadline. This season would have been a little rough but he would still have Mike Trout and Simmons and Pujols passing guys on the home run list. We would have a better pick in the draft and even more money to sign some good FA with. 

I don't know why fans here just can't accept the fact that our owner just does things differently and has different priorities. Comparing it to a different teams situation and actions really isn't all that worthy of any attention or discussion. 

5 hours ago, California Cajun said:

Let me say after participating on the MLB board with him for 15 years AnaheimBob is a solid baseball man and has been an Angel fan since 1965 (if I remember correctly).  He does , however, dislike Scioscia as a manager. 

I object, your honor. Assuming facts not in evidence.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

South FL is Yankee Red Sox country....   All the Boston drama makes it way to the sports stations down here -- the Red Sox were a huge melodrama all season long.

Wonderful. First Maria and Irma, and now Red Sox-Yankees melodrama. No one deserves that kind of misfortune.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Well us here at AngelsWin wouldn’t know, since he’s literally offered nothing but his opinions on Scioscia.  I’d love to see the other side of him, it very well could make the Scioscia side of him more bearable.  

Why would you want to risk that?  That's like seeing the booty on Rosanne and think "wow",  only to have her turn around sing the National Anthem then spit in your face.

There is no way the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, or any other team serious about winning would even think of letting Pujols' rotten OPS stink up the third hole.  This team has no problem with it because they have a tote board out in right field.  I think its a disease, where the manager and management think that passing Mel Ott is more important than winning ball games.  And at the end of the day, you can say, 'hey, we had injuries, what can you do?  And we were in it til the last week!'.

That shit doesn't fly with real teams.

On 10/11/2017 at 11:24 PM, beatlesrule said:

This year, the Angels were able to make it close towards the end but they clearly didn't have the talent that the teams in the playoffs have. Last year though, the Angels were just bad and yet they didn't trade away and get younger because Moreno likes the illusion of putting a winner on the field so he will get his three million attendance.  If they did like I suggested and pined for at last years deadline, they would be in a much better spot right now looking into next season but this is season would have not been nearly as competitive and Moreno might not have gotten his three million so that was just not acceptable to him. 

Just who exactly where they going to trade off that would bring in this talent?    Did you actually see what the team put out on the field last year?   Jefry Marte was among the top ten WAR earners...   

So -- lets recap the amazing tradable assets...   Their .209 hitting 25 year old catcher?   The guy that was obtained as part of a package deal along with Tropeano for Hank effing Conger?   Their 26 year old 1B/DH still looking for his first .500 slg% season?   Their 28 year old 2B who couldn't catch the plague in medieval London and got DFA'd despite the massive gaping hole that was 2B?  Simmons?  Who they traded away two pitchers for 3 months earlier and who at 26 is arguably the best SS in the AL?   Mike Trout??   because nothing says "we are serious about winning" like trading away a generational talent.  Rafael Ortega was the leading at bat getter in LF -- he was so in demand his only taker last off-season was San Diego where he spent the entire season in AAA.    Pujols and his 24 mil AAV?   Escobar who they did try to move and the guy who covers the team repeatedly told us nobody wanted?    They had ONE guy with any semblance of value -- Calhoun.  One.   

Pitching wise they had Weaver, his magically disappearing FB and Jhoulys Chacin two guys so much in demand they too ended up signing with the Padres.  Street was injured.  Richards, Skaggs and Tropeano were injured and gone for the year.     Salas WAS traded.   Santiago WAS traded....    So you had Bedrosian at 24, and Shoemaker who was sporting an ERA of 4.50 at the deadline...   

I think there is enough evidence to back up the fact that winning a World Series is not the most important thing to Moreno.

I think people who believe this probably wanted to see the team spend like the Yankees and Red Sox and were happy to see the team jump into the AP sweepstakes.   Because -- "Oh boy, they were REALLY trying."

He also would have called for a semi fire sale/rebuild at last years deadline. This season would have been a little rough but he would still have Mike Trout and Simmons and Pujols passing guys on the home run list. We would have a better pick in the draft and even more money to sign some good FA with. 

Yes, yes.....    The only way Moreno can show he really cares is to spend even more money...    Angel fan logic 101.   

16 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

I do have my baseball connections  I did mention years ago  that Pete Rose would never make it into the HOF and it was because  of things not related  to gambling. 

I think if Pete had any kind of PR skills or common sense he’d be able to get in the HOF, although probably never again work in a baseball capacity.  

But that’s not happening.  He always creates a distraction at HOF time, gambles, cheats on his wife, etc. 

All Pete cares about is Pete.

12 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I don't know why fans here just can't accept the fact that our owner just does things differently and has different priorities. Comparing it to a different teams situation and actions really isn't all that worthy of any attention or discussion. 

Because the results aren’t as good as they used to be.