• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

35 Years ago today

gurn67

The first time the Angels were within one win of the World Series.

I was a sophomore at Esperanza High School and couldn't wait to get home and watch game 2 of the ALCS on TV that night. When I got home, my mom informed me that one of the sales people at my dad's work had two extra tickets for that night's playoff game. I didn't believe her because that had never happened for even a regular season game, let alone a playoff game. Seats were 10 rows above the third base dugout. Somewhere I still have my ticket and program.

Great night! Got to see Reggie hit a home run. Bob Boone successful sacrifice bunt with the bases loaded. Paul Molitor inside the park home run.

Bruce Kison was dominant, other than the Molitor home run in the fifth inning. After that, not one Brewer reached base in the 6th-9th innings. No relievers used in the game for either team. Something you almost never see anymore.

I still vividly remember walking out of that stadium and everyone so excited. We were all absolutely sure that we would finally get to see the Angels play in a World Series. They couldn't possibly lose 3 in a row to the Brewers, right?

That was the first time I walked out of that stadium with the Angels having a commanding 2 game lead in the ALCS, the next time would be 4 years later.

Good story....86 team was probably a hair closer because they were really on the cusp...82 team may have been better offensively ...they could really hit....Mike Witt was pretty dominant in 86, not sure we had a starter that good in 82...

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

I had a chance to sit and talk baseball with Bobby Grich one time.  He said while the 86 team was great, the 1982 team was the best team he had been a part of.  Said, he, Reggie and Decinces were all closer to their prime in 82 as opposed to 86.  

The offense in 86 was good but it was really good in 82....the pitching was maybe a little better in 86, particularly with Witt at the top of the rotation (he was outstanding in 86)....unfortunately, D Moore was hurt late in the year in 86 and ran out of gas...sad story there...

23 hours ago, Stradling said:

I had a chance to sit and talk baseball with Bobby Grich one time.  He said while the 86 team was great, the 1982 team was the best team he had been a part of.  Said, he, Reggie and Decinces were all closer to their prime in 82 as opposed to 86.  

I remember Tommy John once in an interview saying the 1982 team was the best team he ever played on. The interviewer was stunned and asked better than the Yankees and Dodgers teams he had played on? He said yes, if that team had had a reliable closer, it would have won well over 100 games and the World Series.

They tried to fix that problem by trading Tom Brunansky for Doug Corbett which obviously was one of the worst trades in franchise history.

I loved Tim Foli that year, but could you imagine that lineup with a healthy Rick Burleson?