• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels need an arm ahead of Richards in the rotation

Chuck

Whether a FA signing or trade, we need a top of the rotation starter to lead the rotation ahead of Richards. 

I do not think that Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Bridwell should be solely counted on to fill out the rotation. 

Let one of those 4 compete for the final 3 spots in the rotation. 

And how exactly do we acquire someone of that caliber? We either guy the farm or clog the payroll. 

We just don't have the ability to nab a #1-type pitcher this offseason without Eppler really breaking from his usual MO. 

I agree that we need one but I can't see a realistic path to it. I still think our most realistic approach is hoping for a rotation akin to the '02 Angels or '05 White Sox or '15 Royals - four or five dudes making 25+ starts at a level roughly equivalent to what a #3 type SP would give you.

The offense really needs help too and that is going to cost some money and creativity, especially if Upton re-signs.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And how exactly do we acquire someone of that caliber? We either guy the farm or clog the payroll. 

We just don't have the ability to nab a #1-type pitcher this offseason without Eppler really breaking from his usual MO. 

I agree that we need one but I can't see a realistic path to it. I still think our most realistic approach is hoping for a rotation akin to the '02 Angels or '05 White Sox or '15 Royals - four or five dudes making 25+ starts at a level roughly equivalent to what a #3 type SP would give you.

The offense really needs help too and that is going to cost some money and creativity, especially if Upton re-signs.

We will have $$$ and honestly if Arte wants to win he's going to need to go above the luxury tax.

Oh and, it's still not my money..

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

We will have $$$ and honestly if Arte wants to win he's going to need to go above the luxury tax.

Oh and, it's still not my money..

Do we have enough money to secure a #1 SP, Upton, 3B, 2B, a UT IF, 4th OF, and pen depth, at a minimum? Upton and an ace alone will cost upwards of $50m a year, and anything reasonable at 3B and 2B will cost another $15-20m. 

Just now, totdprods said:

Do we have enough money to secure a #1 SP, Upton, 3B, 2B, a UT IF, 4th OF, and pen depth, at a minimum? Upton and an ace alone will cost upwards of $50m a year, and anything reasonable at 3B and 2B will cost another $15-20m. 

If we keep Upton, sign Moustakas and sign or trade for a true #1 or even solid #2, I'm fine with them getting creative in a trade for a 2B or give the job to Fletcher. I'd like for them to trade for Panik.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If we keep Upton, sign Moustakas and sign or trade for a true #1 or even solid #2, I'm fine with them getting creative in a trade for a 2B or give the job to Fletcher. I'd like for them to trade for Panik.

With Upton in the fold, as I mentioned in another thread, I think suddenly a Moustakas and Upton outcome is in the cards and would sufficiently boost the offense - but it probably handcuffs what they can do with the pitching, so you're just rolling the dice on everyone staying healthy and pitching decent. Not the worst plan for '18 but still a bit risky for my taste.

I do agree that with Upton and Moustakas, you can get away with a replacement level player or one-year flier vet at 2B, and bank on guys like Cron and Valbuena holding down first, with hope that Calhoun plays up again. Very realistic scenario that could be a good offense.

I just have a hard time seeing Eppler shelling out a mega-contract for Darvish, Arrieta, etc. - it's not his style and those huge SP contracts have a terrible success rate. The risk is just not worth it.

37 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Whether a FA signing or trade, we need a top of the rotation starter to lead the rotation ahead of Richards. 

I do not think that Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Bridwell should be solely counted on to fill out the rotation. 

Tropeano

If Upton stays, given the need for a frontline starter, Moustakas is not in the cards. Eduardo Nunez would probably be more affordable as someone who could play 2B or 3B.

That leaves money for Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb.

I still think they should try to sign Otani. I don't care how many of you think it's unrealistic he'd come here. They need to at least make the effort.

25 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

When you sign an expensive starter you're always one pitch away from having an expensive hole in your rotation. I'd rather get a mid level starter and work the pen. If they have tradeable assets they're better used on a 2B

I agree Arch, keep working on improving the pen.  Also, I would like two middle tie starters who can go a full year like Nolasco, but with better results.  

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

And then you still have a bullpen to rebuild. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree with this 100%. It is a primary focus in the upcoming Annual Primer. There are a small handful of options out there.

7 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I think the Angels should stay away from the high end guys like Darvish and Arrieta.

Lynn is the way to go IMO.

Now that's a good point because Lynn is very consistent. We may be able to get him for $9M. It's like replacing Nolasco with the same price but with someone who can actually pitch.

9 minutes ago, Bull58 said:

Now that's a good point because Lynn is very consistent. We may be able to get him for $9M. It's like replacing Nolasco with the same price but with someone who can actually pitch.

Lynn will easily get 18 million a year, at least. Probably over 20 mil.

While he's definitely an upgrade, if the Angels are going to spend that kind of money, they should definitely go after Arrieta IMO. Lynn's peripherals this year scare me.

Career worsts in FIP, HR/9, BB/9, K/9, and K/BB.

They'll all be huge risks though.