• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Troy Scribner is here

44 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Troy Scribner has a locker here at Rogers Center. He'll be activated tomorrow ahead of the Angels' bullpen game.

@Homebrewer I buried it in the The Official MLB Thread so I could 'Craig' @John Smith since he always has the scoop over the rest of us! Well laid trap! Woot! :D

Why not just give him the start? His last start was on the 22nd so he's on more than normal rest. So now Petit is pitching in a role he hasn't all year and so will Scribner. 

It makes a lot more sense for Scribner to go through his normal start day routine and hopefully give us 5 or 6 inning's. Rather than Petit going 3 or 4 and then bringing in Scribner. 

1 hour ago, vladdy#27 said:

Why not just give him the start? His last start was on the 22nd so he's on more than normal rest. So now Petit is pitching in a role he hasn't all year and so will Scribner. 

It makes a lot more sense for Scribner to go through his normal start day routine and hopefully give us 5 or 6 inning's. Rather than Petit going 3 or 4 and then bringing in Scribner. 

I'm assuming to increase Petit's trade value.  If they can show that he can spot start he can turn into a Cahill type of acquisition for a team.  

I can't think of a prospect more deserving of a promotion than Troy Scribner.  Very much a "Shoemaker" vibe to him. Undrafted out of college, wasn't supposed to stick around more than half a year.  Wasn't supposed to be that good in Advanced A Ball.  Had a bad season and wasn't supposed to be able to climb the ladder any higher.  Got traded to the Angels and wasn't supposed to dominate AA.  Then he wasn't supposed to survive the high altitude PCL in AAA.  And he isn't supposed to be a major leaguer. 

This guy has a big chip on his shoulder.  Keep telling him he doesn't belong, it just fuels his fire. 

I'm probably inferring too much here, but with Cowart getting all the starts and the Angels promoting guys like Robinson and Scribner, I think they're quietly acknowledging this year is turning more into a focus on 2018.

Don't get me wrong, Scrib and Robinson played well enough in AAA to warrant the opportunity in the bigs, but I also feel a slight sense that this is giving these guys a cup of coffee for personal reasons too. Scribner gets to make his debut near home, Robinson gets MLB benefits for his kid. The Angels could have gone with the Guerra/Pounders/Wright merry-go-round but are instead going with the kid who never had much (any?) prospect hype and are giving him a chance.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Scribner's slow curve ball is very Weaver-esque. Similar 12-6 motion and velocity (71 mph). Nice! (Probably should have thrown the CB to Montero though :( )

That was entertaining to see. I've watched him the last two years in AA and AAA, I've even seen him live against Sacramento. But the production quality and angles failed to illuminate just how heavy that ball is. I knew it was good because I saw how hitters reacted, but to see it in all it's glory in HD is fun.

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

That was entertaining to see. I've watched him the last two years in AA and AAA, I've even seen him live against Sacramento. But the production quality and angles failed to illuminate just how heavy that ball is. I knew it was good because I saw how hitters reacted, but to see it in all it's glory in HD is fun.

Yeah, that was fun to see.  I think his parents got more air time than he did.  That curve ball is a beauty.  He's got to locate the fastball carefully though or it they may kill it at this level.