• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hosmer or Alonso?

50 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So tell me this.  If you had Hosmer Alonso Cron and Valbuena on one roster  (you never would but play along) who do you start at first?

My answer is Hosmer and it takes me a millisecond to answer the question.

Given that, why would I not sign Hosmer and shuttle Cron off to anothwr team for something else, like a 2B?

I can't imagine that most people would not prefer to have Hosmer between Trout and Pujols over Cron anywhere in the lineup.

Is he $20 million better per season?

5 hours ago, Tank said:
4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Is he $20 million better per season?

So now we all have to assume Hosmer will get $20m per season. Now we do that thing where we just toggle back and forth between how much he actually stinks and yet that he will be paid like an All Star?

My entire argument is I see him as better than anything the Angels have at 1B on the current roster and further that his contract will match his skills.

Of course you can blow up the argument by saying he will tank or that he will be overpaid.

Where is the left handed cleanup hitter going to come from?

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, is he $10-15 million better?  When we have other needs that will require spending money?

I don't want to spend market free agent money on a 33 yr old second baseman and hope Cron and Valbuena will perform.

I would way, way rather spend market free agent money on Hosmer at 28 yrs old and then trade from surplus to get a younger player for another position.

Yes that's worth the money especially if you consider what the salary of an old 2B might be.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don't want to spend market free agent money on a 33 yr old second baseman and hope Cron and Valbuena will perform.

I would way, way rather spend market free agent money on Hosmer and then trade from surplus to get a younger player for another position.

I think we will trade for a second baseman.  If I am signing a big name free agent to provide offense I am signing Martinez. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think we will trade for a second baseman.  If I am signing a big name free agent to provide offense I am signing Martinez. 

I guess I am afraid Cron will never be anything.  I don't want a plan that requires Cron to be better than he has shown.  I am not convinved.

Of the 2 choices, Hosmer. Boras client, but give me the steady track record over the 1 year surge of Alonso.

I don't know if I could take another year of Cron suckage for 8-12 weeks to start the year, see him fall out of favor, and read the narrative about Cron not getting a fair shot. He is what he is, and the Angels need steady production from first base that they've been sorely missing for years. 

living down in the same area of san diego as you do, OP, i would imagine we've both been exposed to the same level of ineptitude that yonder alonso can reach. i'm a hard no on the angels acquiring alonso, but i also don't think hosmer is the right guy either. i think the angels need to uncover a hidden gem somewhere in another system. just make sure he's latin american, it'll increase our chances, but like real latin american, not carribean.

8 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

These are the two youngest left-handed hitting first basemen going into free agency.

Hosmer will be 28, Alonso will be 31.

Which do you prefer and what contract would you view as realistic and acceptable?

Of course this assumes the Angels have the guts to do the obvious and put a decent left-handed bat between Trout and Albert.

Career wRC+:

Hosmer: 109
Alonzo: 107
Cron: 107