• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hosmer or Alonso?

These are the two youngest left-handed hitting first basemen going into free agency.

Hosmer will be 28, Alonso will be 31.

Which do you prefer and what contract would you view as realistic and acceptable?

Of course this assumes the Angels have the guts to do the obvious and put a decent left-handed bat between Trout and Albert.

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

I'd never watch another Angels game on tv if this happened.

I might never watch another Angel game on TV if the roster doesn't change.

At 50 yrs old with kids and lots and lots of work. . ."Following" and "rooting for" will never stop but committing time to actually watch requires some enthusiasm for the roster and optimism for the postseason.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

These are the two youngest left-handed hitting first basemen going into free agency.

Hosmer will be 28, Alonso will be 31.

Which do you prefer and what contract would you view as realistic and acceptable?

Of course this assumes the Angels have the guts to do the obvious and put a decent left-handed bat between Trout and Albert.

Age/Career OPS+ through 2016

28 - Hosmer - 107

31 - Alonso - 103

28 - Cron - 111

If this team signs a 1B coming off a juiced-ball infused season to any sort of significant money then the front office is indeed completely stupid and has learned nothing.   Yes, Cron has been awful -- but he's also had all of a 125 at bats this season.   

Sorry, I'd much rather give Cron a mulligan than go with two career mediocrities coming off career years.  And Im saying this despite the reality Cron has the worst OBP of the three.  I don't think either one of the other two will be worth what they will be able to earn.

Stay far, far away from Alonso. That dude will pull a Joyce on us, I can almost guarantee it. His numbers have been all over the place, and he can't put up a consistent stretch of good years. He's having a career year this year (big surprise) but was pretty awful last year, putting up an 89 OPS+ and -0.1 WAR. He was solid in 2015, but bad in 2014. He's 31 and has never hit more than 9 homeruns in a season before this year. His K rate is up substantially as well. He's a bust waiting to happen. 

Hosmer is more likely to be a solid contributor, but the odds that he continues hitting like he has this year are pretty slim. Not that it matters too much but he's been pretty awful at Angels stadium in his career. Considering how much money he's going to get, I'd pass.

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Stay far, far away from Alonso. That dude will pull a Joyce on us, I can almost guarantee it. His numbers have been all over the place, and he can't put up a consistent stretch of good years. He's having a career year this year (big surprise) but was pretty awful last year, putting up an 89 OPS+ and -0.1 WAR. He was solid in 2015, but bad in 2014. He's 31 and has never hit more than 9 homeruns in a season before this year. His K rate is up substantially as well. He's a bust waiting to happen. 

Hosmer is more likely to be a solid contributor, but the odds that he continues hitting like he has this year are pretty slim. Not that it matters too much but he's been pretty awful at Angels stadium in his career. Considering how much money he's going to get, I'd pass.

Exactly, TDawg!

I've been banging that drum since people started bringing his name up.

He was supposed to show this kind of power when he first came up with the Reds in their Bandbox, then the Padres thought he would mature a bit and become the next AGON (didn't happen), then his first season in OAK was 7 Bombs .253. Now at 30 he's started lifting the ball out???.... No thanks! 

24 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I also look at how he's played against teams in our Division....

.290 career against Seattle

.298 career against Oakland

.348 career against Houston

.265 career against Texas

.238 career at Anaheim! Though when he started he didn't overly produce here up until the last few seasons when the Royals overall became more competitive.

To me that does make him a solid contributor, I already have read he is a leader in the KC clubhouse and did the same with Team USA. And we need more of the solid guys who won't cost 20-25M per but will be solid players to surround Trout with and increase the lineup overall.  

36 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I also look at how he's played against teams in our Division....

.290 career against Seattle

.298 career against Oakland

.348 career against Houston

.265 career against Texas

.238 career at Anaheim! Though when he started he didn't overly produce here up until the last few seasons when the Royals overall became more competitive.

To me that does make him a solid contributor, I already have read he is a leader in the KC clubhouse and did the same with Team USA. And we need more of the solid guys who won't cost 20-25M per but will be solid players to surround Trout with and increase the lineup overall.  

Hosmer is very likely to get 20 million a year. 

Also you're looking at his career numbers against each team. He's batting .214 in his career in Anaheim. And he only had one year in the last few where he crushed it at the Big A (2016). In 2015 he had a .421 OPS and .154 AVG, and this year he's hit .154 with a .525 OPS. 

57 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I'd stay away from both.  They're not game changers IMO.

I'm in same boat. Not interested in either. 
If we were able to land Sonny Gray for an agreeable package, I'd up the return slightly and work Alonso in as a rental for this year, but no interest as a FA.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Age/Career OPS+ through 2016

28 - Hosmer - 107

31 - Alonso - 103

28 - Cron - 111

If this team signs a 1B coming off a juiced-ball infused season to any sort of significant money then the front office is indeed completely stupid and has learned nothing.   Yes, Cron has been awful -- but he's also has all of a 125 at bats this season.   

Sorry, I'd much rather give Cron a mulligan than go with two career mediocrities coming off career years.  And Im saying this despite the reality Cron has the worst OBP of the three.  I don't think either one of the other two will be worth what they will be able to earn.

Yep. NEITHER! 

51 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Hosmer is very likely to get 20 million a year. 

Also you're looking at his career numbers against each team. He's batting .214 in his career in Anaheim. And he only had one year in the last few where he crushed it at the Big A (2016). In 2015 he had a .421 OPS and .154 AVG, and this year he's hit .154 with a .525 OPS. 

Yes, I understand the stats I got on BB Ref~

He will also be playing more games within the Division if we traded for him. I get it.

I look at straight #'s career against each team. I viewed the individual stadium games also. I also look at who he compares to career #'s wise near the bottom as well.

9 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Yes, I understand the stats I got on BB Ref~

He will also be playing more games within the Division if we traded for him. I get it.

I look at straight #'s career against each team. I viewed the individual stadium games also. I also look at who he compares to career #'s wise near the bottom as well.

T-Dawg,

That's why I was against Adam Lind last year as he wasn't good in Anaheim either career wise.

You've also have to know when those games in Anaheim were during the season Central & East teams only come in for one series. limited games per season (sample size). Weather could effect the lefty hitters more also if its earlier in the season with the Marine Layer as compared to later in the summer when during day games the Ball jumps in Anaheim.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

I have zero interest in Eric Hosmer. He is a lot of name-brand hype and I'd rather see the Angels keep one of what they have or trade for Belt or someone more competent.

I get it ettin. Would not mind Belt at all. I do believe his power #'s would shrink even more in Anaheim...He would become our 2017/2018 JT Snow. 

Good defender also!

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I get it ettin. Would not mind Belt at all. I do believe his power #'s would shrink even more in Anaheim...He would become our 2017/2018 JT Snow. 

Good defender also!

Way more interested in Belt. His contract is reasonable.