• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Young arms are coming soon!

Chuck

Jamie Barria: What's not to like? Pitched a scoreless frame in the Futures Game, fanning two top prospects, Barria has a shiny 2.26 ERA, .201 BAA and 0.90 WHIP in 2017 across two levels. Like Long, Barria has looked even better in Double-A, posting a 1.78 ERA across 5 starts, including one complete game shutout. If you look at Jose Quintana's last two years in the minors before being promoted to the big leagues, you see a lot of similarities in their WHIP, ERA and Strikeouts/BB to IP rate. Both command both sides of the plate with three solid but not spectacular offerings. Could Barria be our righthanded version of Quintana? Time will tell. 

Grayson Long: Sporting a solid 3.18 ERA across two levels, but even more impressive Long has posted a solid 2.97 ERA after his promotion to Double-A. The 6'5 righty has been compared to John Lackey by some. Long struck out 70 batters over 65 IP last season, posting an ERA where he's currently sitting at 3.18.

Jake Jewel: After posting a solid 2.25 ERA in High-A, Jewel was promoted to Double-A earlier this season where he's seen decent results, posting a 3.81 ERA across 13 starts. Jewel's fastball sits primarily 90-95 on any given night, and has been upwards of 97 at times. It comes in very heavy with a sneaky movement, coming in with both velocity and a two-seam sinking break. He has a solid change-up and slider, giving him a good three-pitch mix. 

Jesus Castillo: Castillo has also enjoyed a solid season in the tough confines of the Cal-League, posting a 3.34 ERA over 13 starts after dominating Low-A to the tune of a 2.37 ERA, striking out 22 over 19 innings. The future is bright for this young hurler. Read all about his stuff here.

Troy Scribner: 2013: 2.55 ERA (Rookie League), 2014: 2.09 ERA (Low-A, Double-A), 2016: 3.41 ERA (Double-A & Triple-A). The only to blips on Scriber's solid minor league career numbers, 3.75 ERA overall, was his 2015 season (5.49 ERA), where he had to pitch ha lf of his games at The Hangar launching pad in High-A for the Lancaster Jethawks club (which is one of the worst parks to pitch in) Scriber had some success in the PCL last season holding opposing batters to a solid .206 BAA, though this year he's been so/so (4.57 ERA) over 16 starts. That said, how many have fared well in the PCL only to have success at the big leagues after being promoted? Parker Bridwell (4.28 ERA), Andrew Heaney (4.71 ERA in '15), Matt Shoemaker (5.65 ERA in 2012, 4.64 in 2013 and 6.31 ERA in 2014 before posting a solid 3.04 ERA across 27 appearances in 2014 with the big league club). 

This is in addition to having Parker Bridwell, Tyler Skaggs, Nick Tropeano, Andrew Heaney, Alex Meyer, Nate Smith and JC Ramirez heading into 2018. There's plenty to be excited about heading into next season.

I have excluded Garrett Richards because I'm not sure if he'll ever pitch again for us. If he does and he's effective, that's a big boost. 

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jamie Barria: What's not to like? Pitched a scoreless frame in the Futures Game, fanning two top prospects, Barria has a shiny 2.26 ERA, .201 BAA and 0.90 WHIP in 2017 across two levels. Like Long, Barria has looked even better in Double-A, posting a 1.78 ERA across 5 starts, including one complete game shutout. If you look at Jose Quintana's last two years in the minors before being promoted to the big leagues, you see a lot of similarities in their WHIP, ERA and Strikeouts/BB to IP rate. Both command both sides of the plate with three solid but not spectacular offerings. Could Barria be our righthanded version of Quintana? Time will tell. 

Grayson Long: Sporting a solid 3.18 ERA across two levels, but even more impressive Long has posted a solid 2.97 ERA after his promotion to Double-A. The 6'5 righty has been compared to John Lackey by some. Long struck out 70 batters over 65 IP last season, posting an ERA where he's currently sitting at 3.18.

Jake Jewel: After posting a solid 2.25 ERA in High-A, Jewel was promoted to Double-A earlier this season where he's seen decent results, posting a 3.81 ERA across 13 starts. Jewel's fastball sits primarily 90-95 on any given night, and has been upwards of 97 at times. It comes in very heavy with a sneaky movement, coming in with both velocity and a two-seam sinking break. He has a solid change-up and slider, giving him a good three-pitch mix. 

Jesus Castillo: Castillo has also enjoyed a solid season in the tough confines of the Cal-League, posting a 3.34 ERA over 13 starts after dominating Low-A to the tune of a 2.37 ERA, striking out 22 over 19 innings. The future is bright for this young hurler. Read all about his stuff here.

Troy Scribner: 2013: 2.55 ERA (Rookie League), 2014: 2.09 ERA (Low-A, Double-A), 2016: 3.41 ERA (Double-A & Triple-A). The only to blips on Scriber's solid minor league career numbers, 3.75 ERA overall, was his 2015 season (5.49 ERA), where he had to pitch ha lf of his games at The Hangar launching pad in High-A for the Lancaster Jethawks club (which is one of the worst parks to pitch in) Scriber had some success in the PCL last season holding opposing batters to a solid .206 BAA, though this year he's been so/so (4.57 ERA) over 16 starts. That said, how many have fared well in the PCL only to have success at the big leagues after being promoted? Parker Bridwell (4.28 ERA), Andrew Heaney (4.71 ERA in '15), Matt Shoemaker (5.65 ERA in 2012, 4.64 in 2013 and 6.31 ERA in 2014 before posting a solid 3.04 ERA across 27 appearances in 2014 with the big league club). 

This is in addition to having Parker Bridwell, Tyler Skaggs, Nick Tropeano, Andrew Heaney, Alex Meyer, Nate Smith and JC Ramirez heading into 2018. There's plenty to be excited about heading into next season.

I have excluded Garrett Richards because I'm not sure if he'll ever pitch again for us. If he does and he's effective, that's a big boost. 

The same could be said about Skaggs.

But it's still encouraging to think that we might actually get some starting pitching someday.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I'd throw Gatto on there too.

I wanted to keep the list to those who are at High-A or above as we may see them all at some point or another before the 2018 season concludes. Which is why I said "Coming Soon" :)

There's definitely some arms in lower levels to consider a few years from now for sure, like Chris Rodriquez, Joe Gatto, Jose Soriano, Cole Duensing, Elvin Rodriguez.

While there are little signs to be optimistic about this year, I think 2018 is when we'll really palpably feel that this organization has turned a corner. We'll look back at 2010-17 as a kind of Dark Age, with 2016 being rock-bottom with all of the pitching injuries, and 2017 being the first step up but still pretty tough. 2018 will, I think, feel like we're moving in a strongly positive direction, with numerous prospects doing well in the minors and several beginning to make their mark in the majors (Barria, Long, Hermosillo, possibly Thaiss).

I just hope Eppler doesn't feel pressured or become impatient and bust one nut on trading away prospects and the other on signing big free agent contracts that clog the payroll for years to come. I think several well-considered trades and free agents will help the team, but as long as it doesn't 1) In any way negatively impact the team's ability to extend Trout, 2) Doesn't rob the future to pay the present, and 3) Doesn't block the upcoming maturation of outfield and, to a lesser degree, pitching prospects.

But I have faith that Eppler knows what he's doing. He's a grower, not a show-er like his predecessor, who wowed us with flashy moves, most of which ultimately turned out poorly.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

While there are little signs to be optimistic about this year, I think 2018 is when we'll really palpably feel that this organization has turned a corner. We'll look back at 2010-17 as a kind of Dark Age, with 2016 being rock-bottom with all of the pitching injuries, and 2017 being the first step up but still pretty tough. 2018 will, I think, feel like we're moving in a strongly positive direction, with numerous prospects doing well in the minors and several beginning to make their mark in the majors (Barria, Long, Hermosillo, possibly Thaiss).

I just hope Eppler doesn't feel pressured or become impatient and bust one nut on trading away prospects and the other on signing big free agent contracts that clog the payroll for years to come. I think several well-considered trades and free agents will help the team, but as long as it doesn't 1) In any way negatively impact the team's ability to extend Trout, 2) Doesn't rob the future to pay the present, and 3) Doesn't block the upcoming maturation of outfield and, to a lesser degree, pitching prospects.

But I have faith that Eppler knows what he's doing. He's a grower, not a show-er like his predecessor, who wowed us with flashy moves, most of which ultimately turned out poorly.

^

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I thought the Valbuena signing fit that mantra pretty well, and seemed like a good move.  Hopefully, he turns things around.