• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Returning to the international market

On 6/28/2017 at 10:34 AM, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Julio Machado also has a nice swing quiet hands doesn't wrap the bat. Good balance! Looks like he will fill out well. Also, fielding wise keeps his balance above his cup and low to the ground. Could end up as a 3Bman. 

Nice description !....you have done this before.

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Deveaux, ranked the 19th top international talent by Baseball America, told Dorsett in February the Angels won him over in a meeting and made the best offer, noting; "Billy Eppler told me in three years they expect me in the Major Leagues and expect me to compete for that spot in center field with Mike Trout, [then I'd] eventually making the move to right field."

3 hours ago, John Smith said:

Deveaux, ranked the 19th top international talent by Baseball America, told Dorsett in February the Angels won him over in a meeting and made the best offer, noting; "Billy Eppler told me in three years they expect me in the Major Leagues and expect me to compete for that spot in center field with Mike Trout, [then I'd] eventually making the move to right field."

that's pretty funny.  

I hate myself for being blinded by Dipoto while he was here.  I fricken had a ton of faith in that guy.  I'm guessing it stems from the fact he said the right thing and in person he was charasmatic as hell.  It probably didn't hurt that he used my term "Rondons" at our Angelswin Fanfest while giving his state of the team speech.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I hate myself for being blinded by Dipoto while he was here.  I fricken had a ton of faith in that guy.  I'm guessing it stems from the fact he said the right thing and in person he was charasmatic as hell.  It probably didn't hurt that he used my term "Rondons" at our Angelswin Fanfest while giving his state of the team speech.  

It's ok, he had me too. He talked a good talk. At the end of the day I think he fancied himself a hybrid player turned stat heavy executive, someone who could relate to both worlds and promote himself as that. But at the end of the day, he isn't an Ivy League stat nerd and he isn't a tried and true student of scouting. He's not in deep enough in either world to succeed. 

I get the vibe Eppler knows he's a scouting guy, and to trust his stats guys to do their part, while having an awareness that isn't his background - but not ignoring it either. We haven't seen all of Eppler yet though. Big Market Billy hasn't shown himself yet - and that'll be a big test. And there's no way you don't come from the Yanks to Arte's Angels and not have some big market expectation arise.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Now, just because. I used some of the terms on here doesn't make me less knowledgeable......;)

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

What everyone didn't know that while DiPoto was charismatic, his ability to build effective relationships with the staff was pretty limited.  Eppler may be exact opposite - not as charismatic, but accessible to staff and values relationships.  It also doesn't hurt that it seems pretty clear that he is very comfortable in the role.   It sure would have been nice if he had a crack at the international market last year as well.....

5 minutes ago, wopphil said:

How much in total can the Angels spend without being penalized again?

They have a bonus pool of $4.75m for the '17-'18 signing period. Some teams still have penalty under the previous rules, some teams have slightly more in their pool. 

I believe the Angels can also trade players to increase their bonus pool by 75%.

If I'm reading it right, there aren't penalties for spending over - they simply can't spend over anymore. Each team has a hard cap.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/new-mlb-international-signing-rules/

5 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Intersting changes. I wonder how teams will value pool money. If the Angels wanted to add another, say, $1,000,000 in pool money, what kind of player might that cost?

Hard to say without it really happening yet. I have a feeling we won't see the Angels do this very much, at least this year or in near short-term, simply because they don't have a whole lot of international infrastructure secured yet. 

Timing-wise, it makes you wonder if someone like Nick Franklin or Pennington has $200-300k of pool money value or something. 
The Angels seem to be topping out in the range of international prospects who cost $500k-$1m, so fringey 40man guys/AAA depth could actually be worth enough for them to lock in an international signee or two.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Hard to say without it really happening yet. I have a feeling we won't see the Angels do this very much, at least this year or in near short-term, simply because they don't have a whole lot of international infrastructure secured yet. 

Timing-wise, it makes you wonder if someone like Nick Franklin or Pennington has $200-300k of pool money value or something. 
The Angels seem to be topping out in the range of international prospects who cost $500k-$1m, so fringey 40man guys/AAA depth could actually be worth enough for them to lock in an international signee or two.

I wonder if a team would be willing to give up meaningful pool money in a trade involving some of our vets. Could a Bud Norris or a Yunel Escobar, for example, fetch a $750k chunk of pool money instead of a team's 10-20 number prospect.

1 minute ago, wopphil said:

I wonder if a team would be willing to give up meaningful pool money in a trade involving some of our vets. Could a Bud Norris or a Yunel Escobar, for example, fetch a $750k chunk of pool money instead of a team's 10-20 number prospect.

Could be...but I think the Angels would have more interest in an asset closer to contributing for either of those, rather than signing a Bahamian teenager.
Not to say they couldn't get both a prospect and pool money...but it doesn't seem to fit in with the trade deadline chatter as well. I definitely could see Eppler trading up for some money though, considering they've spent every penny possible on international FAs and our draft picks.

2017 TEAM-BY-TEAM INTERNATIONAL SIGNING TRACKER

Los Angeles Angels
Trent Deveaux, of, Bahamas (No. 19 prospect)
D’Shawn Knowles, of, Bahamas (No. 37 prospect)
Jose Reyes, of, Dominican Republic
Willson Gomez, lhp, Venezuela
Jenrri Gonzalez, lhp, Venezuela

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/2017-team-team-international-signing-trackers/#O4edwGaS6jJrcKfr.97

3 minutes ago, John Smith said:

2017 TEAM-BY-TEAM INTERNATIONAL SIGNING TRACKER

Los Angeles Angels
Trent Deveaux, of, Bahamas (No. 19 prospect)
D’Shawn Knowles, of, Bahamas (No. 37 prospect)
Jose Reyes, of, Dominican Republic
Willson Gomez, lhp, Venezuela
Jenrri Gonzalez, lhp, Venezuela

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/2017-team-team-international-signing-trackers/#O4edwGaS6jJrcKfr.97

thanks John.  good news.  

I imagine that Deveaux and Knowles will be in our top 30