• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

I've never watched hockey, in person or on TV. So naturally I was at the game last night. Seemed like the Ducks just wore themselves out early, and by the end the Kings were just skating circles around them. Frustrating to watch the overtime - its hard to score when you have worse puck control AND are moving more slowly. Also, again I don't watch hockey, but...is it a new thing that the Ducks look horrible for power plays?

Still, fun game to be at.

8 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I've never watched hockey, in person or on TV. So naturally I was at the game last night. Seemed like the Ducks just wore themselves out early, and by the end the Kings were just skating circles around them. Frustrating to watch the overtime - its hard to score when you have worse puck control AND are moving more slowly. Also, again I don't watch hockey, but...is it a new thing that the Ducks look horrible for power plays?

The Ducks are basically a minor league team offensively right now with the top 2 centers out, and 2 of the top 6 wings out.  It’s hard to really gauge what they’ve got as far as the power play goes. You noticed that they were trash last night tho.  So, that wasn’t an aberration lol.  I believe we’re 2nd worst in the league.

Glad you enjoyed the game though, hope you caught the hockey bug ! Amazing sport to follow and a perfect compliment for a baseball fan.  The more Ducks fans in here the merrier !

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, krAbs said:

there's nothing better than watching hockey in person. now get yourself up to staples center... :-)

17 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Man if we can get Tavares Bob Murray better be ready to murder to make it happen.  This guy is a top 5 C in the NHL. 

The Ducks are at a point where they need to start considering life after Getzlaf & friends.  Kesler is apparently learning how to skate again.  I mean lol.  That could go really badly.  

For real though, if there a possibility that we can bring in Tavares, Bob better clear the salary to make that happen.

Thats my line of thinking too, they gotta plan for when Getzlaf/Kesler fall off a cliff like Brad Richards.

Trading Vatanen for prospects/picks & letting Cogliano, Vermette & Bieksa walk = about 13 to 14 million salary freed up.
Signing Tavares would be the kind of big splash the Ducks would benifet in terms of selling tickets too, that also would offset some of the cost.

If that happens that means Steel may start his career in the NHL playing as a LW since Tavares/Getzlaf/Kesler would be ahead on the depth chart but in a few years Kesler's play may fall off a cliff to where Kesler's production dips to that of a 4th line center. Steel would be insurance if one of the big 3 gets hurt as he'd move to Center from LW.

Imo we definitely let veteran players like Cogliano, Bieksa, and Vermette walk.  Cogliano is a good and useful player, but the Ducks don’t need to be the ones paying him for his tenure in the league.  He just doesn’t bring enough to the table.  That said, if he’s willing to play for 1.5 million or less.  Sure bring him back.  

I have no delusion that the Ducks will get John Tavares, but like I said before.  If it’s a possibility do everything possible.  He’s a young player in his prime and objectively one of the best players in the NHL.  You take your shot at 100 percent of those types. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Thats my line of thinking too, they gotta plan for when Getzlaf/Kesler fall off a cliff like Brad Richards.

Trading Vatanen for prospects/picks & letting Cogliano, Vermette & Bieksa walk = about 13 to 14 million salary freed up.
Signing Tavares would be the kind of big splash the Ducks would benifet in terms of selling tickets too, that also would offset some of the cost.

If that happens that means Steel may start his career in the NHL playing as a LW since Tavares/Getzlaf/Kesler would be ahead on the depth chart but in a few years Kesler's play may fall off a cliff to where Kesler's production dips to that of a 4th line center. Steel would be insurance if one of the big 3 gets hurt as he'd move to Center from LW.

I'm still on the fence with Cogs.  Him on the Kessler/Silfverberg/Cogs line is pretty good.  He's only 30.  And he made $3 million this year.  I think that's about right on the salary, but I think we should pass if he is looking for more.  It doesn't look like he's slowed down, he's one of the faster, but also one of the smaller players on the team.  Around $3 million, I'd keep him.

Now Vermette, Bieska, Boll, Rasmussen, and Beauchimin.  If we re-sign any of them, then Murray is and idoit.  That saves $8.375 million.  But Montour, Kase, Shaw, Ritchie, and Kossila are RFA's.  Wagner and Grant are UFA's (my guess is one gets traded) and Fowler and Manson are scheduled to get big raises.  So I don't see the Ducks being able to afford someone like Tavares.  But then there is Vatanen.  So I guess it'll depend on how much he wants to make, because I really can't see the Ducks going more than $6, when he's rumored to be offered huge amounts.  

Cogs is one of the smarter players on the team and he doesn't miss a game.  If the pay is reasonable I think bringing him back makes sense.  He shouldn't demand a long term contract or anything crazy.  Something like 3 years 6-8 mil probably makes sense.  There wont be other players available at that price that would be better and there aren't any wingers in the system that could replace him either.

This is good news: 

That is good news.

i just looked through the current contracts in the NHL.  Perhaps I’m low balling Cogs.  3 million would be fine,  but I think anything more then that and we need to pass.   Players in the 4 million range tend to be young skilled players with upside.  Here’s the site i was looking at. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/

Edited by UndertheHalo

17 hours ago, krAbs said:

IDK man, trash team near the bottom of the barrel, ridden with injuries? The Ducks feel like the natural transition as an Angels fan.

Well except that the Ducks when healthy go from AHL level to pretty darn elite. In a wide open season like this one they have as good a chance as many teams, if they can get themselves into the playoffs. The Angels have no such switch, nor could they possibly ever be that healthy.

As far as getting into the sport, live is essential. I'm boned where I am. But for you I'd recommend catching some games at Ontario.

21 hours ago, krAbs said:

IDK man, trash team near the bottom of the barrel, ridden with injuries? The Ducks feel like the natural transition as an Angels fan.

One big difference is the Ducks players often come back sooner from injuries than the initial recovery time, the Angels end up taking longer than what the initial recovery time is.

Several years ago there was a guy on the Dallas Stars who broke his leg & continued his shift on the ice while his leg was broken, he wasn't going to make a line change that would hurt his team. The Ducks once had Chris Pronger playing with a broken jaw, he was out for only like a week & returns with a special face mask to protect his jaw.

1 minute ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

One big difference is the Ducks players often come back sooner from injuries than the initial recovery time, the Angels end up taking longer than what the initial recovery time is.

Several years ago there was a guy on the Dallas Stars who broke his leg & continued his shift on the ice while his leg was broken, he wasn't going to make a line change that would hurt his team. The Ducks once had Chris Pronger playing with a broken jaw, he was out for only like a week & returns with a special face mask to protect his jaw.

ಠ_ಠ Dear god man...

As you guys probably know.  Roy isn’t an elite prospect or anything but probably is a decent NHL player.  As far as career trajectory.  He’s probably the Ducks 5th or 6th best prospect.  The injuries have given him his path into the show so hopefully he takes advantage.  He’s off to a nice start down in San Diego.  I’m looking forward to his debut.

Edited by UndertheHalo

43 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Don't forget in his last year with the Ducks before going to the Avs, Beauch played the entire playoffs with an ACL tear.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Don't forget in his last year with the Ducks before going to the Avs, Beauch played the entire playoffs with an ACL tear.

Heck, last season.  Kessler played with some sort of leg injury that's keeping him out till December.  And Lindholm and Vatanen both were playing with bum shoulders.  Oh, and whatever Perry had all season.  

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

As you guys probably know.  Roy isn’t an elite prospect or anything but probably is a decent NHL player.  As far as career trajectory.  He’s probably the Ducks 5th or 6th best prospect.  The injuries have given him his path into the show so hopefully he takes advantage.  He’s off to a nice start down in San Diego.  I’m looking forward to his debut.

He has a LH shot too, so it'll be nice to see how he does playing LW on a lineup filled with alot RH shots.

As far as prospects go its interesting the Ducks are collecting LH shots in their prospect pool like Steel, Jones, Comtois, Roy etc.