• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Jim Bunning

We were spending the afternoon at the Winchester Swim Club in Northeast Philadelphia that Father's Day in 1964. I was nine years old. By the time the 9th inning came around, everyone was out of the pool and huddled around transistor radios. A great personal memory.

The first perfect game in the National League in 84 years.

In the summer of '93 I was in DC and walking around the Capital building. The bell rang, calling the Senate into the chamber for a vote. I had just ridden over from one of the congressional office bldgs and got into an elevator to go up to the Senate chamber. Some congressman gets in with me and we ride up together. He gets out a floor before me when the elevator operator said "you know who that was? It was Jim Bunning." Blast! Would have loved to at least say hello to him. 

d53effd6-cd83-4c5a-8417-165bb03069d1_lg.jpeg

The first thing that caught my eye about Bunning was that by the time he pitched in Philadelphia, he had developed a really strange delivery. He practically fell off the mound, and he braced himself with his gloved hand. I remember reading that this had something to do with a back injury.

Was a two or perhaps three term US Senator from Kentucky.

Towards the end of his Senate career he was having health issues - age related memory loss. I remember some news reports about some comments he said in a radio interview.

His MLB career? One of a few pitchers (Ferguson Jenkins comes to mind) who won 100 games in each league. Pitched a no hitter in each league - one was that perfect game during the Phillies' infamous 1964 year. Not too many pitches had no hitters in each league (Nolan Ryan's name comes to mind).

Jim Bunning pitched for about five years with the Dodgers towards the end of his career- and did fairly well. His best years were with Philadelphia (NL) and Detroit (AL).

Quite a career for the guy IN Baseball and After. R.I.P.

Bunning's perfecto was the first game of a doubleheader that day. The 18-year old pitcher Rick Wise of the Phillies got his first major league win in the second game. He would go on to have a lengthy career, win 188 games, throw a no-hitter of his own, and be a two-time All-Star. Rick Wise was also the winner in relief of Game 6 in the 1975 World Series with Boston.

1 hour ago, California Cajun said:

You and he had something in common as Phillie fan and player surviving that terrible disappointment in the 1964 pennant race.  That had to be as hard for you as 1986 with the Angels.

Harder on my Dad than it was on me. He had watched his Phillies in 1950 get swept in the Series by the Yankees. After we moved to California he was happy to see the team finally win it all in 1980.

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2017 at 6:45 AM, California Cajun said:

You and he had something in common as Phillie fan and player surviving that terrible disappointment in the 1964 pennant race.  That had to be as hard for you as 1986 with the Angels.

What did those 2 teams have in common???

53 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I never blamed Mauch for Game 5 in 1986. Gedman had four hits that day off Witt, I recall, so Mauch brought in Lucas to face him. Lucas did not have to hit Gedman with that pitch. Moore had to come in at that point to face Henderson.

Moore had been sucking for the weeks leading up to the Henderson HR. I was in the ballpark that day. I let out a groan when I saw Moore heading in.

I remember it like it was yesterday, and still feel and see it all in slow motion.

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

Moore had been sucking for the weeks leading up to the Henderson HR. I was in the ballpark that day. I let out a groan when I saw Moore heading in.

I remember it like it was yesterday, and still feel and see it all in slow motion.

On MLB Network's look back at that game, Bobby Grich wondered why Finley didn't come on to start the 11th.   He had looked good in limited appearances, and got out of further trouble after replacing Moore.  Moore had probably already thrown some 30-35 pitches total in the 9th and 10th innings. 

But yeah, nice of Lucas to hit his FIRST batter ALL season!   On the first pitch yet!