• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Our starting pitching sucks

6 hours ago, yk9001 said:

haha - it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME!

First it was a cramp in the bicep.  Not a big deal. There wasn't even going to be an MRI.  Then the DL and one missed start. Merely precautionary.  Now 'extended' DL time.

It looked pretty obvious that it was more than a cramp.

IMG_5992.GIF

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

No, I'm not being hyperbolic. because of the loss yesterday and the bad start today. I was saying this a couple days ago. But consider the starters through the 3rd inning of today:

Richards: 0.00 ERA in 1 start, but injured

Shoemaker: 7.71 ERA in 2 starts

Skaggs: 8.71 ERA in 2 starts

Nolasco: 6.28 ERA in 3 starts (so far)

Chavez: 5.40 ERA in 2 starts

Unless this turns around, this team will not be able to sustain even a .500 record. Now assuming they turn around somewhat, they should be at least decent. But we really need two or three of these guys to starting pitching well in order to have a chance on making good on the 6-2 start.

No argument from me.  Outside of the DL Richards n I need of the starters have a dub 5 ERA.

I've said it before but our teams lack of good starting pitching is a huge problem. We have no ace. We really have nothing even close to an ace. What's the closest we have? G Rich who had 2 years of success? Was it ace caliber success? Maybe 1 year was. Shoe who had a great year in 2014 and later half of 2016 but got hit in the head so hard his life was in danger, let alone his career? Ricky Nolasco our opening day starter whose best days are well behind him and was a middle of the rotation pitcher during his best years. Our last real ace was Weaver.

Then we have our supporting cast of other 5th starters who wouldn't be starters on many other teams. That leaves us with Skaggs, who has shown flashes of being good but has been mediocre at best and downright bad at other times. There's also Tropeano and Heaney who showed promise but they are extremely unproven and who knows what they will be like post TJ surgery. We have a wealth of starters, just not very many good ones, or ones that are healthy.

1 hour ago, zenmaster said:

I've said it before but our teams lack of good starting pitching is a huge problem. We have no ace. We really have nothing even close to an ace. What's the closest we have? G Rich who had 2 years of success? Was it ace caliber success? Maybe 1 year was.

It doesn't matter what kind of success it was.  It could have been Nolan Ryan success.  That was pre-injury.  All bets now off the table.

How about we just make all 12 pitchers equal and rotate them at 2 or 3-inning intervals.

No starters, no setup men, no closers...just 12 pitchers and a roll of the dice. If someone really blows, you send him down and bring up someone from the minors for a day or two.

Can't be worse than this crap.

Edited by fan_since79

On 4/13/2017 at 2:16 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Well at least next year we have Heaney and Tropeano coming back, so at least there will be depth of mediocrity.

I'm worried about Richards, but let's not jump to conclusions. His ability is still there.

Skaggs, I think, has to essentially re-start his career, so 2017 will be kind of like 2014. If he's going to actualize his #2-3 potential, it probably won't be this year. I still worry he's going to be a dud, though. He seems so fragile.

Shoemaker, as long as he's healthy, should at least be a good #3-4 type, although I suppose there is hope he recaptures his #2 form. But I think the reasonable expectation would be a solid #3 (~3.50 ERA).

Nolasco and Chavez should stabilize as back-end starters. Their range remains a good #4 (~4.00 ERA) to a good #5 (~4.50 ERA). I suppose it matters somewhat where on that spectrum they end up, but at least it is a relatively narrow range of likely outcomes.

Beyond these guys, I don't see any of the minor leaguers providing more than back-end quality. If the troubles continue, but the rest of the team keeps playing well, Eppler might consider making a big trade or two.

Darvish is pitching well after his TJ and in half the time it's taken Skaggs. Tanaka pitched well in 2016 ( 3.38 ERA) with the same Plasma Rich Injections Richards had. He's off to slow start so far but had a good start last time out. Let's hope for the best with Heaney and Tropeano. Not every pitcher makes it back from TJ surgery

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Darvish is pitching well after his TJ and in half the time it's taken Skaggs. Tanaka pitched well in 2016 ( 3.38 ERA) with the same Plasma Rich Injections Richards had. He's off to slow start so far but had a good start last time out. Let's hope for the best with Heaney and Tropeano. Not every pitcher makes it back from TJ surgery

Skaggs never pitched at level of a Darvish or Tanaka. Give the kid time to figure things out. 

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Skaggs never pitched at level of a Darvish or Tanaka. Give the kid time to figure things out. 

I agree, but it's up to him to stay on the field long enough to figure it out.  I love his fastball and breaking ball, but he needs to be consistent, which he's been, but he's been consistently mediocre to poor.