• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Week 1 report card

18 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I'd give the pitching a C, the hitting an A-, the defense an A+, and Scioscia an A.

Close to what I would do. 

I would go this way.

Pitching: B- (factor in Chavez start, Nolasco second start, Richards game and some good bullpen work outside of today). 

Hitting: A+ We lead the league in hits and runs scored. Enough said. 

Defense: A (We made a few errors this week, so a notch down). Overall, I'm stoked about our defense though. 

Had a feeling the Angels would have a great defense this year. Sure there were a few mistakes like the Trout error at Oakland but overall, team has a good defense. Maldonado has been terrific behind the plate. Good influence on the pitching staff.

Hitting should get a good grade as well, Probably an A-. A little streaky but still terrific. Pujols get an F+ though, if going by stats.

I'll give pitching a B- since outside of Chavez and Nolasco, everyone else in the starting rotation has been shaky so far. But the bullpen has been a bright spot.

So my feeling is that I am going to purposefully pick apart the first weeks performance to prove that 5-2 is not a fluke and that the team could actually play better.  

I honestly believe they can and when they stop getting lucky, that's gonna be damn important.  

Offense - B.  Seriously.  We have a .340 BABIP with a 6.4% bb rate.  Power has been avg.  Some good news?  We currently have a 51 wRC+ with RISP.  Why is that a good thing?  Because they have found a way to get the job done and that should normalize over the course of the season.  We're also toward the bottom of the league in base running already. 

Defense - A-.  Escobar is still a liability.  I've been very impressed otherwise.  Just to make a point about defensive metrics, Simmons currently has -1 DRS.  That tells me a lot.  Maldonado is +2 which is more like it.  

Starters - B.  Chavez and Richards were great.  Nolasco was solid.  Shoe was decent first time out and poor today.  Skaggs had a tough go.  The common denominator?  Both bad outing from our starters came with Perez behind the dish.  I guarantee Sosh and the other coaches have noticed this.  While I believe this kind of discrepancy would tend to iron itself out, missed location for both Skaggs and Shoe in each of their Perez starts made a big difference.  I also believe that pitch calling/sequencing had something to do with it.  I am so impressed with Maldonado back there so far and I feel like it's actually going to get better as the season goes on and he gets more familiar.  Key to success going forward is obviously Richards health.  

Bullpen  - B-.  They've been better than I expected so far.  Cam is already back to form.  Parker's splitter is a true swing and miss pitch and he's got way better other stuff than I expected.  If we can only get Ramirez to throw the right pitch at the right time.  Norris is a bit scary but there's some potential.  I am very surprised at Petit's ability to miss bats.  Not sure that will hold up.  Bailey will be ok although I I still have trust issues with him.  Just keep using Alvarez vs. lefties and he's an actual weapon as opposed to just some guy we throw out there.  Not totally confident in Street being effective, but if he is, having Cam and a couple others available to match up appropriately would be huge.  

Coaching - B.  Sosh is keeping guys on the bench fresh and they are decently rewarding him.  I've made it know about having an early hook, so it's more about philosophy.  I guess I'll just have to get used to the fact that they're gonna still expect starters to get deep even though I disagree.  

Overall - B.  We had some luck so far which is great and i hope it keeps coming, but I wouldn't rely on it forever.  Chemistry seems excellent.  Doesn't hurt when your start player is he first guy out to the top step of the dugout when someone else does something good.  You know thing are going good when I am bummed about tomorrow's off day.  

7 hours ago, wopphil said:

I'd give the pitching a C, the hitting an A-, the defense an A+, and Scioscia an A.

yea i think this is pretty spot on.  The good thing is, if we can expect at least "c" pitching for the entire season, maybe we can hang around and be interesting.  last year the pitching was injury riddled F-

Not saying we'll get A- hitting all season but I think our line up is pretty good.  we should be a B hitting team on average.  I would hope. 

6 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Had a feeling the Angels would have a great defense this year. Sure there were a few mistakes like the Trout error at Oakland but overall, team has a good defense. Maldonado has been terrific behind the plate. Good influence on the pitching staff.

Hitting should get a good grade as well, Probably an A-. A little streaky but still terrific. Pujols get an F+ though, if going by stats.

I'll give pitching a B- since outside of Chavez and Nolasco, everyone else in the starting rotation has been shaky so far. But the bullpen has been a bright spot.

Albert F+? You must be kidding me... I agree with rest of your assumptions...especially Maldonado! He's been fantastic!

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

We're through one week, and everyone's favorite 'trade for a bag of balls' 3B is leading the team in WAR, hits, runs, average, OBP, and doubles. 

And errors.  He's a heck of a hitter that gets on base, he'd be the perfect DH/1st baseman. 

10 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Pujols gets an F after two hits and three RBIs in the 9th yesterday?  Wow tough grader.  He deserves at D+ on yesterday alone.