• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ivan Nova

Glen

30 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

No, it has a lot more to do with Pujols' contract. Cron has better numbers in BA, OBP, SLG, OPS and has a much greater upside. Cron continues to improve every season. He's only played in 308 ML games and people want to send him packing. I can see Cron flourishing elsewhere while we continue accommodating Pujols' contract. That's just the reality of the current situation.

No, but I'm not even a little bit surprised that this is how you see it.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

No, but I'm not even a little bit surprised that this is how you see it.  

Well Strad, we can agree to disagree on this issue. I firmly believe that Albert, his performance, his injuries and his contract have impacted numerous roster moves both past and present and will certainly impact the future. 

Cron wouldn't net anywhere near the return that Trumbo did for the Halos. Trumbo had already racked up a few 30+ HR seasons and an all-star nod and while he isnt any good in the OF, he showed teams that you can plug him in at a corner OF spot in a pinch or at 1B. Cron is a DH only bat who hasn't even had 1 20 HR season.

22 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Cron wouldn't net anywhere near the return that Trumbo did for the Halos. Trumbo had already racked up a few 30+ HR seasons and an all-star nod and while he isnt any good in the OF, he showed teams that you can plug him in at a corner OF spot in a pinch or at 1B. Cron is a DH only bat who hasn't even had 1 20 HR season.

Also no Kevin Towers to do all the legwork.

1 hour ago, Kody Mac said:

We can trade Cron, but now we have a hole to plug at first, because we all know Pujols won't last a full year there. Choi? 

Sign one of the 3rd baseman, move Escobar to Cron's role, trade Cron if he has enough value to make sense.  If not you keep him and trade Escobar. 

7 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

He also sucks at defense. Trumbo was at least adequate at 1st. 

I'm not sure we can actually say he sucks at defense. Although I agree the defensive stats are questionable in nature primarily due to sample sizes, both B-Ref and UZR show him improving over the last two years to approximately league average. I suspect that won't last past the next couple of years but everyone can improve and it seems like he has moved from 'sucks' to 'below average' or 'near average' for 1B league-wide (which depending on your definition of sucks might still suck but for me he isn't 2016 Eric Hosmer level suckage).

I know this is an Ivan Nova thread but the more I think about it the more I think a straight up trade of C.J. Cron and Carlos Perez for Brian Dozier makes sense. Before you laugh consider that Dozier only has two years of control left while Cron and Perez have four and five years of control respectively and should provide value across all of those controllable seasons including their arbitration years. Dozier has a little over $60MM in surplus value while Cron and Perez both have about $35MM each in surplus value.

The Angels could go out and sign someone like Wilson Ramos and have him split time with Bandy behind the plate and the rest of the time he splits with Marte at 1B. Of course this all takes place in my head so it is just fantasy speculation in my wee lil brain but whatever I enjoy thinking about the possibilities no matter how remote they might be.

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

I know this is an Ivan Nova thread but the more I think about it the more I think a straight up trade of C.J. Cron and Carlos Perez for Brian Dozier makes sense. Before you laugh consider that Dozier only has two years of control left while Cron and Perez have four and five years of control respectively and should provide value across all of those controllable seasons including their arbitration years. Dozier has a little over $60MM in surplus value while Cron and Perez both have about $35MM each in surplus value.

The Angels could go out and sign someone like Wilson Ramos and have him split time with Bandy behind the plate and the rest of the time he splits with Marte at 1B. Of course this all takes place in my head so it is just fantasy speculation in my wee lil brain but whatever I enjoy thinking about the possibilities no matter how remote they might be.

I've seen Ramos' contract guesses ranging all over the board (2/$22 to 4/$50 and even some higher) but if he wound up falling to something like a 2/$22 I would definitely be interested. No draft pick, could play 1B/DH first few months. By time his contract is up and he's looking for big bucks, Bandy or Perez would be seasoned enough to take over or Ward will be close.

We were in on Saltalamacchia last year too. And I'm still supporting signing Avila.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I've seen Ramos' contract guesses ranging all over the board (2/$22 to 4/$50 and even some higher) but if he wound up falling to something like a 2/$22 I would definitely be interested. No draft pick, could play 1B/DH first few months. By time his contract is up and he's looking for big bucks, Bandy or Perez would be seasoned enough to take over or Ward will be close.

We were in on Saltalamacchia last year too. And I'm still supporting signing Avila.

Avila, Ellis, or Hundley is who we might  more realistically sign. But imagine Dozier and Ramos' bats coming into our lineup.... would be super sick.

20 minutes ago, ettin said:

Avila, Ellis, or Hundley is who we might  more realistically sign. But imagine Dozier and Ramos' bats coming into our lineup.... would be super sick.

My big appeal with Avila is OBP. For most of the last three years, one-third of the lineup has had a sub .300 OBP. Avila doesn't hit much, but he still rocks a .350 career OBP. I like that he is left-handed too, and likely only will cost something like 2/$12. Even Ramos' career OBP is .313.

Escobar, Maybin, and Trout are such a high contact top third that if we can get over the .300 OBP mark at 2B and C at the bottom third it will amp up run production in a big way.

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Is Avila really a $6 million player?  If so I'll take Soto back.  

Soto has raked in nearly $8m the last three years playing 128 games in that time - Avila matched that in 2014 alone.

Avila accumulated 3 WAR in the last three years, with a .210/.337/.345/.682 and a 92 OPS+. Soto pulled in a .238/.306/.414/.721 with a 100 OPS+ and 1.6 WAR.

Team needs to pay guys to play, not sit on the DL. Almost all of Soto's injuries lately are knees and leg. Think he's going to get better? Stay on the field? His career is probably about done.

Avila would be a good pick up, and he also gives the team the depth to consider moving Bandy or Perez for a 2B, SP, LF...that saves them from spending money there as well.

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Sign one of the 3rd baseman, move Escobar to Cron's role, trade Cron if he has enough value to make sense.  If not you keep him and trade Escobar. 

okay, so strad's in favor of signing trumbo to play third.

me too.